• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Black Panther official movie thread (11/3/17)
1 1

1,416 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

I saw an interview with the cast mentioned that it wasn't just a largely black cast.  But the fact that they were portraying characters that children could look up to.  They weren't criminals, drug dealers, slaves, etc.  Instead, they got to portray, strong warrior women, scientists, roles that promoted strong African heritage/traditional themes, etc.

Agree and understood.  That's why I mentioned four movies that portrayed African Americans as drug dealers, thugs, or slaves.

Denzel Washington Paid for Chadwick Boseman’s Acting Studies

Denzel-Washington-Chadwick-Boseman-Actin

Chadwick Boseman was a guest on The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon, where he opened up about a story he’s long been keeping to himself. Specifically, it involves The Cosby Show star Phylicia Rashad gathering funds from her famous friends to help fly kids overseas to study at Oxford. And it turns out, Boseman’s particular trip to the iconic school was paid for by an equally famous thespian.

“I didn’t have money to pay for this, and so she [Rashad] got a few of her friends together and, you know, they paid for us to go. I didn’t know at first – when I came back – and I’ve basically been holding this secret my whole career, [but] when I came back I got a beneficiary letter. And it said, ‘Denzel Washington paid for you.’ You know, and I was like, ‘What?'”

Boseman kept the story to himself for years, wanting to tell Denzel Washington how much it meant to him if they ever met. As Boseman tells it, that happened right before his big cover story on Rolling Stone, which mentions the story for the first time. It’s even more surreal when you consider Denzel Washington was once considered for Black Panther.

That's a VERY vague description of what Denzel did that could range from he paid for a plane ticket all the way up to Denzel paid for years of Oxford tuition, room, and board.  Without more details I've got to assume he just paid for a short trip to visit the university for some unspecified reason.

1 minute ago, fantastic_four said:

That's a VERY vague description of what Denzel did that could range from he paid for a plane ticket all the way up to Denzel paid for years of Oxford tuition, room, and board.  Without more details I've got to assume he just paid for a short trip to visit the university for some unspecified reason.

Wikipedia says it was a summer program at Oxford after getting a degree at Howard where Rashad was one of his teachers.

10 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

back page at this week's billboard magazine

IMG_3566.JPG

The Black Panther soundtrack slipped to # 2 on the Billboard Top 200 chart this week after spending the prior two weeks at # 1.

I think it goes to the film's broader cultural significance.

When's the last time a comic book movie soundtrack hit # 1 on the billboard charts at least twice in a row?

The only contenders that come to my mind are:

Batman (1989) - by Prince (# 1 for six weeks)

D**k Tracy (1990) - by Madonna (I'm Breathless) -- topped out at # 2.

Edited by Gatsby77

2 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

Wikipedia says it was a summer program at Oxford after getting a degree at Howard where Rashad was one of his teachers.

Chadwick Boseman notes this in the video, where it was a summer program and in the end he received a benefactor letter calling out Denzel Washington covered his costs for the program. So when he met him years later, he thanked him for the support.

Did I see the same movie everyone else did?

Saw it last night, found it easily the weakest of all the latest Marvel movies.  Acting was not good, effects were hugely subpar and looked even worse with the 3D.  Fight scenes (that I don't really care about in a film) were completely uninspired.  

It was an origin story, I get it.  I'd have preferred a one hour Netflix special over the 2 hours I spent at the theatre.  

14 minutes ago, davidpg said:

Saw it last night, found it easily the weakest of all the latest Marvel movies.  Acting was not good, effects were hugely subpar and looked even worse with the 3D.  Fight scenes (that I don't really care about in a film) were completely uninspired.  

It was an origin story, I get it.  I'd have preferred a one hour Netflix special over the 2 hours I spent at the theatre.  

As of right now there are 4,381 people who disliked this video.  You can't please everybodylol.

1 hour ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

As of right now there are 4,381 people who disliked this video.  You can't please everybodylol

I'm #4,382 who doesn't like spiders.  :fear:

4 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

The Black Panther soundtrack slipped to # 2 on the Billboard Top 200 chart this week after spending the prior two weeks at # 1.

I think it goes to the film's broader cultural significance.

When's the last time a comic book movie soundtrack hit # 1 on the billboard charts at least twice in a row?

The only contenders that come to my mind are:

Batman (1989) - by Prince (# 1 for six weeks)

D**k Tracy (1990) - by Madonna (I'm Breathless) -- topped out at # 2.

It should also be mentioned that the only reason why it was bumped down to #2 was because the #1 album sold was a Bon Jovi album that was a free giveaway with ticket sales for his upcoming tour.  If not for that, the Black Panther soundtrack would have remained #1.

3 hours ago, davidpg said:

Anyone who denies this movies importance clearly has an agenda. How dare you say anything negative of the movie that will change Hollywood and future generations of of children*

*sarcasm

4 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

Anyone who denies this movies importance clearly has an agenda. How dare you say anything negative of the movie that will change Hollywood and future generations of of children*

*sarcasm

Sarcasm well received ;)

Hey all you BP fans, I'm planning for my class tomorrow and we are studying technology around the world. I'm going to show this video. I found it quite interesting. There are some slight spoilers. If you are into tech and the tech within Wakanda, check it out. https://mashable.com/2018/03/06/black-panther-futuristic-technology/#MhIdEkFk5PqO

Saw it today and I'd give it a 4.5 out of 10, and call it one of the weaker entries of all the Marvel movies.  It was pretty much what I expected, a good piece of Hollywood fluff with decent special effects and action sequences and really not much more than that.

I find the notion that this movie is game-changing, original, or will have any lasting cultural impact utterly laughable.  It was basically Coming to America+Final Fantasy+Any Super Hero movie and that's pretty much it.  Watchable once but nothing special, and not something I'll be talking to anyone about after this post and not something I could ever see myself watching again.

8 hours ago, SpideyFein said:

Hey all you BP fans, I'm planning for my class tomorrow and we are studying technology around the world. I'm going to show this video. I found it quite interesting. There are some slight spoilers. If you are into tech and the tech within Wakanda, check it out. https://mashable.com/2018/03/06/black-panther-futuristic-technology/#MhIdEkFk5PqO

Thanks for the link, it was an interesting take on the fictional technologies, and it reminded me again of what was so sensational about the screen depiction of Wakanda.

Edited by namisgr

On 3/5/2018 at 3:19 PM, jsilverjanet said:

There was a moment during last nights oscars where they talked about doors opening etc. they referenced Thelma and Louise and how that movie was going to change how Hollywood looked at women etc 

plenty of other films like you said have been more significant, far more powerful yet have had little impact in real change

the reality here is that Disney has found a formula to mass market an idea that the population has decided to consume without question 

I don’t doubt the money is any good, I just doubt that the movie is groundbreaking as some others have made it seem

Give the people a voice to revolt and change, just not the actual means to do it.

1 Star Wars: The Force Awakens BV $936,662,225 2015
2 Avatar Fox $760,507,625 2009^
3 Titanic Par. $659,363,944 1997^
4 Jurassic World Uni. $652,270,625 2015
5 Marvel's The Avengers BV $623,357,910 2012
6 Star Wars: The Last Jedi BV $619,140,525 2017
7 The Dark Knight WB $534,858,444 2008^
8 Rogue One: A Star Wars Story BV $532,177,324 2016
9 Black Panther BV $506,427,710 2018