• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Black Panther official movie thread (11/3/17)
1 1

1,416 posts in this topic

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/black-panther-prize-golden-trailer-awards-1202827408/

the first award of many.  only 235 days until 2019 Oscar nominations announced. current over/under 4. in order of likelihood:

Best Costume Design

Best Visual Effects

Best Make-Up & Hairstyling

Best Adapted Screenplay

Best Supporting Actor

Best Picture

Best Director

Interesting how certain big box office contributors didn't take to this movie as much as other markets. They pretty much treated it like any other MCU origin movie. Their loss!

eRmK188.jpg

I finally saw it Sunday. Really good movie and worthy of all the praise. It wasn't perfect. The special effects were off a few times here an there. Occasionally I think "obviously that was computer generates",

I have got to see Infinity War soon before everyone ruins it for me. No matter where I go it is being talked about.

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 8:12 AM, paperheart said:

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/black-panther-prize-golden-trailer-awards-1202827408/

the first award of many.  only 235 days until 2019 Oscar nominations announced. current over/under 4. in order of likelihood:

Best Costume Design

Best Visual Effects

Best Make-Up & Hairstyling

Best Adapted Screenplay

Best Supporting Actor

Best Picture

Best Director

This seems... optimistic.  I think it might get one nom out of screenplay, picture, director, but not a chance at all three.  I'd say screenplay is the most likely, and best picture the least likely.

But I wouldn't be surprised if sound editing snuck in there for a NOM.

33 minutes ago, revat said:

This seems... optimistic.  I think it might get one nom out of screenplay, picture, director, but not a chance at all three.  I'd say screenplay is the most likely, and best picture the least likely.

But I wouldn't be surprised if sound editing snuck in there for a NOM.

time will tell, this website as bullish

2019 Oscars: Early predictions for next year’s nominees

5: Black Panther

Directed by Ryan Coogler

Starring: Chadwick Boseman, Michael B. Jordan, Danai Gurira and Lupita Nyong’O

Superhero films don’t have a particularly strong reputation within the ranks of the Academy. The common complaint is that superhero films are nothing more than mindless entertainment, which isn’t always inaccurate. Superhero films are primarily there to entertain their audiences with cool fights, great effects and some wonderfully bombastic action. While Black Panther will claim to have that in spades, its empowering message and immense box-office success could meaneven brighter things for the Marvel blockbuster.

For one, the film’s unique soundtrack and design are bound to have the film score some technical nods, particularly in the costume, set and score sections (I’m personally hoping for a Best Original Score nomination for adding to the film’s atmosphere). However, Black Panther might not even stop there, as the film’s progressive atmosphere and impressive handling by director, Ryan Coogler could serve as justification in nominations for Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Director and even a Best Picture nomination. Logan snagged a nod last year, so why not Black Panther for this year?

Predicted nomination(s):

• Best Production Design
  • Best Costume Design
  • Best Original Score
  • Best Adapted Screenplay
  • Best Director for Ryan Coogler
  • Best Picture
Edited by paperheart

I was underwhelmed at the theater but really enjoyed the movie watching it again at home. Ayo's fight scenes are awesome. It had smart messaging about current issues while steering clear of political hot buttons at the same time. And that war rhino...oh yeah, need me one of those.