• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Black Panther official movie thread (11/3/17)
1 1

1,416 posts in this topic

Re-watched this on Netflix the other night.  What a great movie. In the top five Marvel movies, for me.  
One thing I noticed was the lack of over-the-top humor that's prevalent in many of the Marvel Studios movies; just enough humor to complement the drama (GotG vol 1 notwithstanding). 
Upon second viewing I can see how it was so popular and made so much money.

14 minutes ago, paperheart said:

Can Barrier-Breaking ‘Black Panther’ Become The First Superhero Movie Nominated For Best Picture?

https://deadline.com/2018/11/black-panther-ryan-coogler-michael-b-jordan-lupita-nyongo-interview-news-1202499543/

NOPE

They literally created another category to avoid nominating this for best picture.

6 minutes ago, revat said:
24 minutes ago, paperheart said:

Can Barrier-Breaking ‘Black Panther’ Become The First Superhero Movie Nominated For Best Picture?

https://deadline.com/2018/11/black-panther-ryan-coogler-michael-b-jordan-lupita-nyongo-interview-news-1202499543/

NOPE

They literally created another category to avoid nominating this for best picture.

Although I would say it probably should be.  If the ending was stronger and didn't end in typical Marvel movie fashion, the case would be better.  It might not even with most popular, possibly losing to Crazy Rich Asians (who even knows what the criteria is?  what a freaking joke of a category!)

8 minutes ago, revat said:

NOPE

To what are you referring?

The Academy has scrapped the proposed new "Achievement in Popular Film" category and it's a fairly weak year for Best Picture nominees. I think Black Panther could still get a Best Picture nomination (although it won't win).

3 minutes ago, paperheart said:
20 minutes ago, revat said:

NOPE

the Academy ran away from that stupid idea after tremendous backlash

oops you're right! in which case, I humbly change my tune. Definitely a chance for BP.  GOOD.

8 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

To what are you referring?

The Academy has scrapped the proposed new "Achievement in Popular Film" category and it's a fairly weak year for Best Picture nominees. I think Black Panther could still get a Best Picture nomination (although it won't win).

shoo-in nominations:

A Star is Born

BlackKKlansman

Widows

Beale Street

Roma

possibles:

Black Panther

Leave No Trace

Eighth Grade

Hate U Give

First Man

24 minutes ago, paperheart said:

shoo-in nominations:

A Star is Born

BlackKKlansman

Widows

Beale Street

Roma

possibles:

Black Panther

Leave No Trace

Eighth Grade

Hate U Give

First Man

Solid list, but you forgot Venom

Edited by Gatsby77

What is the definition of the "Best Picture" award?

Like, the Hart Trophy is presented to the player deemed most valuable to his team (by the Writer's Association). Is "Best Picture" for 'Best Film'? I thought it was for something like 'Best Visual Story'? Idk.

Black Panther is a great movie, but it's not the best of 2018. Visually, story, or otherwise. Obviously IMO.

3 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

Black Panther is a great movie, but it's not the best of 2018. Visually, story, or otherwise. Obviously IMO. 

I would not call it a great movie. A solid Marvel movie, okay, but it did not live up to the hype when I finally saw it. Now if you want to call it the most socially important Marvel film to date, definitely.

Take out the social context, which was Disneyfied and toned down anyway, and it was an okay hero movie. It was a middling Marvel movie, on par with stuff like Captain Marvel 1, Thor 1 or Thor Dark World from an enjoyment and watchability perspective IMHO. Maybe my expectations were too high? I still don't care for the actor that plays T'Challa (too wooden/stiff), and found Killmonger to be one dimensional with a so-so acting job as well. The female leads were far more interesting, but maybe that was the angle Disney was looking for? 

Edited by kimik

3 minutes ago, kimik said:

I would not call it a great movie. A solid Marvel movie, okay, but it did not live up to the hype when I finally saw it.

Take out the social context, which was Disneyfied and toned down anyway, and it was an okay hero movie. It was a middling Marvel movie, on par with stuff like Captain Marvel 1, Thor 1 or Thor Dark World from an enjoyment and watchability perspective IMHO. Maybe my expectations were too high? I still don't care for the actor that plays T'Challa (too wooden/stiff), and found Killmonger to be one dimensional with a so-so acting job as well. The female leads were far more interesting, but maybe that was the angle Disney was looking for as well? 

Captain Marvel hasn't been released yet...

It's a great movie. It suffers from typical hero tropes like the ol' fake death routine, villain has the same power/suit, etc. It's still well-directed, acted, and culturally accurate. It's earns its stripes.