• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Black Panther official movie thread (11/3/17)
1 1

1,416 posts in this topic

AFI MOVIES OF THE YEAR

BlackKklansman
Black Panther
Eighth Grade
If Beale Street Could Talk
The Favourite
First Reformed
Green Book
Mary Poppins Returns
A Quiet Place
A Star Is Born

SPECIAL AWARD

Roma

Oscar preview?  Black Panther Best Pic Nomination & Into the Spider-Verse Best Animated Pic Nomination - the super hero genre has had an unbelievable 2018

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 11:24 AM, paperheart said:

AFI MOVIES OF THE YEAR

BlackKklansman
Black Panther
Eighth Grade
The Favourite
First Reformed
Green Book
Mary Poppins Returns
A Quiet Place
A Star Is Born

SPECIAL AWARD

Roma

Oscar preview?  Black Panther Best Pic Nomination & Into the Spider-Verse Best Animated Pic Nomination - the super hero genre has had an unbelievable 2018

I'm glad Black Panther is on the list and hope it gets nominated (but don't think it will) , but my top two snubs:  Annihilation (sci-fi) and Sorry to Bother You (more sci-fi than you think, but understandably too esoteric to be nominated, but Shape of Water won best picture last year). 

I hope Quiet Place or Green Book win Best Picture.  I certainly haven't seen all the movies on the list, but I feel "A Star is Born" is kind of overrated, though I was thoroughly impressed with Bradley Cooper as a director.

I absolutely think Black Panther will get a Best Picture nomination. The Academy has learned its lesson from the omission of The Dark Knight a decade ago and trying to subvert the process by attempting -- and failing -- to add a "Best Popular Film" category this year.

With up to 10 Best Picture noms (although I don't believe they've ever had more than nine), Black Panther will be among them.

I'm still rooting for A Star Is Born to win -- although I think Roma may ultimately win instead.

35 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

I absolutely think Black Panther will get a Best Picture nomination. The Academy has learned its lesson from the omission of The Dark Knight a decade ago and trying to subvert the process by attempting -- and failing -- to add a "Best Popular Film" category this year.

With up to 10 Best Picture noms (although I don't believe they've ever had more than nine), Black Panther will be among them.

I'm still rooting for A Star Is Born to win -- although I think Roma may ultimately win instead.

critics agree- announced today

24TH ANNUAL CRITICS’ CHOICE AWARDS

FILM NOMINATIONS

BEST PICTURE

Black Panther

BlacKkKlansman

The Favourite

First Man

Green Book

Mary Poppins Returns

Roma

A Star Is Born

Vice

Edited by paperheart

Coogler didn't land a Best Director nom from the Critics but he did get named to this short list:

Black Panther co-writer and director Ryan Coogler, murdered Washington Post op-ed columnist Jamal Khashoggi and Russian ruler/alleged U.S. election influencer Vladimir Putin join President Donald Trump in contention for Time magazine’s Person of The Year 2018.

Edited by paperheart

22 hours ago, paperheart said:

Will ‘Black Panther’ earn more Oscar nominations than ‘The Dark Knight’?

https://www.goldderby.com/article/2018/black-panther-oscars-the-dark-knight-news-846205937/

Yes.

Who cares about The Dark Knight in 2018.

More people talk about another Superhero flick from ten years ago.:baiting:

On 12/21/2018 at 10:37 AM, Chaos_in_Canada said:

The first IM movie had a greater impact/influence on Ryan Coogler, director of BP.

And here we are, 10 years later and hopefully BP will be nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars.:wishluck:

Best picture? Really? I mean it was ok. But...best picture nomination? I don’t think so.

Just now, Chaos_in_Canada said:

Let me guess, you don't own a CGC FF52? :cry:

I actually have a copy (kind of an impulse eBay buy) but it’s not graded. I like the character and I liked the movie but it didn’t warrant the media attention from a quality perspective that it received. Culturally I don’t think it was overly earth-shattering either.

2 minutes ago, bb8 said:

I actually have a copy (kind of an impulse eBay buy) but it’s not graded. I like the character and I liked the movie but it didn’t warrant the media attention from a quality perspective that it received. Culturally I don’t think it was overly earth-shattering either.

Really?

I don't believe you:baiting: