• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Black Panther official movie thread (11/3/17)
1 1

1,416 posts in this topic

If anything, Michael B. Jordan might see a nomination (a really promising young actor, not sure after Creed II though,) as well as technical noms.

Black Panther is part of a billion $ franchise, whose character reappeared in a billion $ Avengers sequel (and got "killed off." :/)  Academy jealousy of success tends to factor in, when little movies get lost in the shuffle.

But, I have been wrong before about this before when Titanic sweeped the night away from LA Confidential in '97. 

On 12/21/2018 at 7:57 PM, TwoPiece said:

I love Iron Man as much as anyone, but it'll never be as good as The Dark Knight.

I don't believe there is a single comic book movie that resonates like Dark Knight. Iron Man and Black Panther were great popcorn fun but pretty much on par with about four other Marvel movies in terms of quality.  In Dark Knight, I hated the Bat suit and thought Bale was not a good fit at all for either Bruce or Batman. Don't get me started on the voice. And yet its still a monumental film. Its not often a comic book film dares to become something more, in this case a psychological neo-noir thriller.  And it annoys me that we haven't seen that level attained in any other comic book movie to date. I'm not a kid anymore and don't leave the theater high-fiving my buddy talking about Easter eggs or end credit surprises. I want to contemplate what I just watched long into the evening. Of course I'm not Marvel's target audience either. They make the masses happy and make money so there's no reason to take a risk and make something thought provoking like Dark Knight. So what happened to DC? They just got cocky after that and made some huge miscalculations. Who knows how long it will take to right this ship now.

56 minutes ago, Oddball said:

I don't believe there is a single comic book movie that resonates like Dark Knight. Iron Man and Black Panther were great popcorn fun but pretty much on par with about four other Marvel movies in terms of quality.  In Dark Knight, I hated the Bat suit and thought Bale was not a good fit at all for either Bruce or Batman. Don't get me started on the voice. And yet its still a monumental film. Its not often a comic book film dares to become something more, in this case a psychological neo-noir thriller.  And it annoys me that we haven't seen that level attained in any other comic book movie to date. I'm not a kid anymore and don't leave the theater high-fiving my buddy talking about Easter eggs or end credit surprises. I want to contemplate what I just watched long into the evening. Of course I'm not Marvel's target audience either. They make the masses happy and make money so there's no reason to take a risk and make something thought provoking like Dark Knight. So what happened to DC? They just got cocky after that and made some huge miscalculations. Who knows how long it will take to right this ship now.

Another question is... twenty years from now will you be still watching most of the Marvel films, even Iron Man?  I know, like Batman Forever, I don't see myself watching just about all the current DC films.

The Dark Knight was about something (for example a comment on violence in society.)  It's a time capsule of our times (trying not to get political<) that doesn't feel like "product" (Avengers: Infinity War.) 

Black Panther is a solid movie, but not a Best Picture.  It's a step in the right direction for "funny book" movies though.  I wouldn't mind seeing a grittier installment to the franchise down the road.  To me "Black Panther" feels like a slicker "Batman Begins," meaning "full of promise."

I used to collect every comic book movie on DVD and Blu Ray.  But, now I can admit, these movies hit their critical peak in 2008, with The Dark Knight.

Logan, Iron Man, The Avengers, Guardians, Deadpool 2 coming really close. 

But, I'll keep watching them (Venom,) like my father watched westerns for thirty years, hoping one day to find another masterpiece, like "Unforgiven."  Never say never.

12 hours ago, Oddball said:

There is a movie...Black Panther & 700 million reasons :baiting:

2 hours ago, Chaos_in_Canada said:

There is a movie...Black Panther & 700 million reasons :baiting:

If that 700 million refers to box office, it’s something that is no indicator of the quality of a movie in my eyes. How many billions has the Transformers franchise accumulated? Though I did hear the last one was pretty good. And as I said before, I thought Black Panther was great. I’ll also add that it’s more rewatchable than The Dark Knight for me. But comparing the two is like comparing Heat to Den of Thieves.

9 hours ago, Oddball said:

If that 700 million refers to box office, it’s something that is no indicator of the quality of a movie in my eyes. How many billions has the Transformers franchise accumulated? Though I did hear the last one was pretty good. And as I said before, I thought Black Panther was great. I’ll also add that it’s more rewatchable than The Dark Knight for me. But comparing the two is like comparing Heat to Den of Thieves.

Sorry, you're in the minority.

The top five domestic BO movies are, SW:TFA, Avatar, BP, A:IW & Titanic. All top notch movies. 

Comparing domestic BO results is a good indicator of the movie's quality.:baiting:

1 minute ago, Chaos_in_Canada said:

Sorry, you're in the minority.

The top five domestic BO movies are, SW:TFA, Avatar, BP, A:IW & Titanic. All top notch movies. 

Comparing domestic BO results is a good indicator of the movie's quality.:baiting:

I disagree. You listed the TOP FIVE grossing movies which I personally agree are top notch. I could now counter you with ten times that amount of movies that were box office successes that were just... dumb.

9 minutes ago, Oddball said:

I disagree. You listed the TOP FIVE grossing movies which I personally agree are top notch. I could now counter you with ten times that amount of movies that were box office successes that were just... dumb.

Go ahead. 10X equals fifty movies.

I'm curious with your selection & their domestic BO results.

It's not easy.

Edited by Chaos_in_Canada
typo

8 minutes ago, Oddball said:

Oops let me add an edit here. I didn't catch the TFA on Star Wars.  I do NOT believe that movie is top notch at all. Quality production, yes, but a recycled story.

4 minutes ago, Chaos_in_Canada said:

Go ahead. 10X equals fifty movies.

I'm curious with your selection & their domestic BO results.

It's not easy.

JP The Lost World. If you read the novel, you hated this. 

All the Transformers except the first one and the new one I haven't seen. (4)

All the Fast and Furious movies. (10) 

Iron Man 2 & 3 

Amazing Spider-Man 1 & 2

Batman V Superman

Justice League

Suicide Squad

All the Pirates of the Caribbean 

Lara Croft Tomb Raider

The Twilight movies

Both Independence Day's

Indiana Jones/Crystal Skull

War of the Worlds

Fifty Shades movies

The Meg

There's at least over 30 right there off the top of my head. I'll have to see a list to give you the rest.

16 minutes ago, Chaos_in_Canada said:

Mr. Oddball,

Let's wait for the Oscars & I'll have my Victory Dance :foryou:

No one said it won't be nominated, just that its not deserving of Best Picture. Speaking of Oscars, did you know that Shawshank Redemption had multiple nominations and was a box office failure?

1 minute ago, Oddball said:

No one said it won't be nominated, just that its not deserving of Best Picture. Speaking of Oscars, did you know that Shawshank Redemption had multiple nominations and was a box office failure?

Sorry Oddball,

You didn't mention the Oscars.

I know Shawshank did poorly at the BO.

oscar+.jpg

On 12/27/2018 at 8:09 AM, Chaos_in_Canada said:

Sorry Oddball,

You didn't mention the Oscars.

I know Shawshank did poorly at the BO.

oscar+.jpg

got the nomination, has no shot as neither coogler or adapted screenplay were nominated, but still an amazing step forward (w/ nod to Christopher Nolan who should have had the first). 8 nominations in all, 1 more than Dark Knight

Edited by paperheart