• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Black Panther official movie thread (11/3/17)
1 1

1,416 posts in this topic

59 minutes ago, Crimebuster said:

One other thing working in Black Panther's favor - and again, I don't think it will win - is that unless something has changed this year, Best Picture voting works on a preferential ranked voting system, with the winner needing to get at least half the total votes.

So the way it works is, each voter ranks all the Best Picture nominees. If no film gets half the total votes on the first ballot, the movie with the fewest votes is tossed out. Any ballots that were cast for that film are then recast using that voter's 2nd place choice. If no fiilm has yet to reach 50%, they do this again - the lowest film is tossed, any votes for that film go to the next choice on te ballots (2nd, or now in some cases, 3rd choices).

This means it's entirely possible for a film to win Best Picture because it has the most 2nd place votes even if it has a smaller number of 1st place votes. In a field like this, with no clear frontrunner, if Black Panther is everyone's 2nd choice, it could well win. 

Yeah - but it's exactly that Ranked Choice scenario that has benefited Green Book and Roma in the run-up award shows, whereas the prior presumed favorite -- A Star Is Born -- has come up empty nearly across the board.

At this point, I think actual Best Picture will go to either Green Book or Roma -- with A Star Is Born being a distant (yet possible) third.

I think Bohemian Rhapsody will fall after the post-Golden Globes backlash (and its far different voting pool then the Academy) and The Favorite will act as the primary spoiler / dark horse -- a distant fourth choice that won't ultimately win Best Picture.

Honestly, I'd love to see either Roma or A Star Is Born win -- but Green Book may sneak in there.

TLDR: Zero chance Black Panther wins, and deservedly so. It's easily among the top 10 most important films of the year, but not in the top 5 for "Best."

Hollywood just loves to try and show the rest of us how they are morally superior (which is a joke) so I wouldn't count BP out.  That being said it's an absolute joke that this movie of all the Marvel Cinematic Movies so far is rated #1 for example on RT. It's not in my top 10 and the only marvel movie I never bought on Blu-Ray because I thought it was so average. Same story but place it in Asia or Europe and any race other than black and it goes from fresh to rotten I'd bet. Just Hollywood virtue signalling the rest of us as always when they are the scum. 

Dark Knight is the bar imo and BP doesn't even come close.

1 hour ago, ianh said:

Same story but place it in Asia or Europe and any race other than black and it goes from fresh to rotten I'd bet. 

Black Panther is about the black experience. There's no possible way to tell this "same story" in Asia or Europe, or have it focus on another race, because it is about black people, and about Africa. Considering how obvious this simple fact is, I'm puzzled how you could have missed it. 

14 minutes ago, Crimebuster said:

Black Panther is about the black experience. There's no possible way to tell this "same story" in Asia or Europe, or have it focus on another race, because it is about black people, and about Africa. Considering how obvious this simple fact is, I'm puzzled how you could have missed it. 

The point is, that a story of heritage shouldn't be celebrated just because of the clan's skin color(s). This is Hollywood trying to be "PC".

Black Panther is a good movie because it tells a good story about a fictional culture while drawing inspiration from real-life culture.

Black Panther is not a good or excessively-great movie just because the cast is mostly comprised of people with black skin color.

48 minutes ago, Crimebuster said:

LOL sure there is and I'm puzzled how you completely missed my point. If it was a movie about an Asian super hero called the Yellow Tiger that was from a fictional country that was technologically advanced and one cousin had it far worse than another and came back for revenge Hollywood wouldn't care. It's Hollywood being PC and it's so painfully obvious. 

It shouldn't matter what race a super hero is but it certainly does to Hollywood.

Edited by ianh

20 minutes ago, ianh said:

It shouldn't matter what race a super hero is but it certainly does to Hollywood.

It doesn't matter now after Black Panther made 1 Bill.  It mattered before and for about 20 years since Blade when Hollywood thought only white superheroes can make money.

On 1/24/2019 at 3:47 PM, Oddball said:

Actually Dark Knight was 8 nominations.  BP had 7.

Don't disrupt his 'facts'. :insane:

But it would be super for the comic book hobby as a whole if both Black Panther and Into The Spider-Verse nail at lesst one Oscar each.

Would love to see that scenario become a reality.

:wishluck::wishluck:

On 1/24/2019 at 6:24 AM, ianh said:

Hollywood just loves to try and show the rest of us how they are morally superior (which is a joke) so I wouldn't count BP out.  That being said it's an absolute joke that this movie of all the Marvel Cinematic Movies so far is rated #1 for example on RT. It's not in my top 10 and the only marvel movie I never bought on Blu-Ray because I thought it was so average. Same story but place it in Asia or Europe and any race other than black and it goes from fresh to rotten I'd bet. Just Hollywood virtue signalling the rest of us as always when they are the scum. 

Dark Knight is the bar imo and BP doesn't even come close.

What a stupid comment.