• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Black Panther official movie thread (11/3/17)
1 1

1,416 posts in this topic

I always thought Djimon Hounsou would make an awesome Black Panther (shrug)

I agree. I always thought he had a good shot at being the character.

91_1_b_1095_1.JPG

When I first saw him in 'Gladiator', I actually thought he would be super for the role.

It'd be easy to chalk up Marvel nerds' excitement about the movie to the fact that the Black Panther, as his name suggests, is black. That's only part of it, though. In fact the Black Panther is the latest in a long line of black superheroes Marvel has brought to the big screen.

Wesley Snipes portrayed Blade in 1998 and later in the film's two sequels. Halle Berry has reprised her role as Storm in every X-Men film since 2000. Depending on which of the Iron Man films you're watching, either Terrence Howard or Don Cheadle is moonlighting as War Machine. Most recently, Anthony Mackie played sidekick to Captain America as the Falcon.

I think Mackie did an amazing job in Cap2, and made it fun to see him progress in the role. And that was just one movie. I bet he takes Falcon much further over a few films.

It'd be easy to chalk up Marvel nerds' excitement about the movie to the fact that the Black Panther, as his name suggests, is black. That's only part of it, though. In fact the Black Panther is the latest in a long line of black superheroes Marvel has brought to the big screen.

Wesley Snipes portrayed Blade in 1998 and later in the film's two sequels. Halle Berry has reprised her role as Storm in every X-Men film since 2000. Depending on which of the Iron Man films you're watching, either Terrence Howard or Don Cheadle is moonlighting as War Machine. Most recently, Anthony Mackie played sidekick to Captain America as the Falcon.

I think Mackie did an amazing job in Cap2, and made it fun to see him progress in the role. And that was just one movie. I bet he takes Falcon much further over a few films.

Agree, I liked Mackie a lot in the role. Preferred Terrence Howard's Rhodey to Don Cheadle's

Long interview.

Chadwick Boseman On Initial BLACK PANTHER Rumors, Solo Movie, Robert Downey Jr. And More

------------------------

Despite rumoredly being at the top of Marvel Studios' Black Panther shortlist since mid last year, Chadwick Boseman tells Entertainment Weekly that actual discussions for him to play the Wakandian Prince in Captain America: Civil War (and later in a 2017 standalone movie) did not begin until weeks before the big announcement. "Not even a month," he said. "The real official conversations happened really quickly. I think there were rumors out there, but those were rumors. Maybe that’s a form of conversation, but it wasn’t an actual conversation, if that makes any sense."

------------------------

Sounds like once Marvel locked in the movie, they wanted it cast rapidly before the big announcement.

Chadwick Boseman Hyped For BLACK PANTHER Action Figures And Halloween Costumes

----------------

"That's one of the first things I thought about when we left the announcement event with Robert Downey Jr. and Chris Evans," he recalled. "I saw fans outside with the rendering of Black Panther and [as] I was signing them I was sitting there like, Oh my gosh! And we were close to Halloween, so over that week I saw people with Iron Man costumes, Captain America costumes, Spider-Man costumes, and I was like, 'That's going to happen [with Black Panther].' It blew my mind." He continued, "It's important because there will be black kids who have the Black Panther outfit and action figure, as well as Latino kids and white kids. It's an amazing thought that it helps from the opposite side to do what you were talking about earlier, about the non-specific racial casting; the idea that this person can be a hero. I feel like "42" did the same thing: there are so many kids from various backgrounds that see Jackie Robinson as a hero, and even though the movie is about race, the heroic spirit has no racial boundaries. So it's amazing to be a part of any of that."

"I can't wait for some of those Collectors Society cats to be wearing my costume at SS events."

----------------

BLACK PANTHER Chadwick Boseman Rather Have An Action Figure Than Golden Globe

----------------------

The 38-year-old actor, who starred in 2014's James Brown biopic Get on Up, told the Santa Barbara Independent that he's not letting his lack of an Oscar or Golden Globe nomination get him down.

"When it comes down to it, I’d rather have an action figure than a Golden Globe," said Boseman, also known for Draft Day and 42.

----------------------

:applause:

This Standout Actor From THE WIRE Wants To Play BLACK PANTHER's Predecessor

--------------------

While talking to IGN about a number of projects and topics, actor Lance Reddick of The Wire and Fringe listed playing T'Chaka in a Black Panther movie as a dream role. Well Lance as look would have it, Marvel Studios is currently planning on releasing a Black Panther film. In addition to Black Panther, Reddick also voiced a strong desire to play Martian Manhunter on screen. "If there's an independent Black Panther movie, I'd love to play T'Chaka....if it's an origin story. I'd also love to play the Martian Manhunter. And if we're talking dream roles, John Stewart would be great too. [but] if I get Martian Manhunter, [Tyrese] can have Green Lantern."

--------------------

:applause:

Chadwick Boseman Talks BLACK PANTHER Research And Current "Brainstorming Phase"

-------------------

Talking to Comic Book Resources recently, the actor had this to say about what he's currently doing to prepare himself for taking on this iconic Marvel Comics role. "I think right now, it's just going through the possibilities of what he can do," Boseman teased when asked for specifics. "It's a brainstorming phase, trying to figure out what it looks like -- I'm going to be as vague as I can! -- what it looks like and what it should feel like in certain moments. But just going through [the material], because there's always a difference from one story to the next of who he is -- trying to find a way to merge those things together. Because I think that's always fun when these movies work: it's when people see several things satisfied at one time. And I think that's been the fun part so far."

-------------------

"Yeah. Really, all of it. It's just difficult with this particular character, because there are a lot of things in that time when it was written that did not exist but do exist now, so trying to figure out how would that work now. How is it special now in terms of technology and whatever -- but that's all I can say!"

-------------------

On that latter statement, that's where I like Marvel Studios is adjusting for the times. If you tried to plug the 60's material into a 201X film, there are advances you would not be accounting for like the internets.

GHOSTBUSTERS' Ernie Hudson Said To Be Up For 'T'Chaka' Role In BLACK PANTHER

It looks like the next major role to be cast will be that of King T'Chaka; and according to Mayimbe Ernie Hudson (The Crow, Ghostbusters, OZ) is being looked at to play him. T'Chaka was T'Challa/Black Panther's Father, and in the comics held the title of Chieftain of Wakanda -- pledged to protect the sacred metal known as Vibranium. He was also an ally of Captain America's, and had superhuman strength, speed and agility thanks to a sacred herb that he alone was granted access to.

09e38170f17e0036ed72dce618d739ab.jpg

Ava Duvenay's Marvel Movie? It's Black Panther

Yesterday, the Wrap reported that Marvel were in talks with Selma director Ava Duvenay to direct an upcoming movie, one of their “diverse” superhero movies, naming either Captain Marvel or Black Panther.

I’ve just had it confirmed from one of our production sources that it would indeed be Black Panther, lined up for 2017.

EXCLUSIVE: Marvel Taps Ava DuVernay To Direct Black Panther

EXCLUSIVE: Following months of rumour and speculation, MCU Exchange is now able to exclusively report (thanks to our sources) that Ava DuVernay (Selma) has been hired by Marvel Studios to direct the upcoming Black Panther film. The Wrap first reported back in May that DuVernay was being courted by Marvel Studios for one of their upcoming "diverse" properties, meaning either Captain Marvel or Black Panther, with most assuming it was the latter (update: with Bleeding Cool later reporting that it was indeed Black Panther). Then last month, our friends over at We Are Wakanda reported that DuVernay was currently in talks with Marvel for Black Panther and that indeed the gig was hers if she wanted it. It now appears that DuVernay has agreed to bring her unique vision to the Marvel Cinematic Universe.