• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Black Panther official movie thread (11/3/17)
1 1

1,416 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Put another way, Box Office Mojo calculates that while the general CPI hasn't doubled in the past 21 years, average movie ticket prices literally have...from $4.59 in 1997 to $9.18 today.

I can believe that.

exactly. 

From Box Office Mojo: * Adjusted to the estimated 2018 average ticket price of $9.18. Inflation-adjustment is mostly done by multiplying estimated admissions by the latest average ticket price. Where admissions are unavailable, adjustment is based on the average ticket price for when each movie was released (taking in to account re-releases where applicable).

4 hours ago, paperheart said:

(worship)  Hail Wakanda  

3X JL US :roflmao:

Or, put another way, BP has now made more domestically than JL's entire worldwide run.

I would like to see some of Mendelson's pretzel logic for that $300MM++ budget bomb now.  

-J.

1 hour ago, paperheart said:

exactly. 

From Box Office Mojo: * Adjusted to the estimated 2018 average ticket price of $9.18. Inflation-adjustment is mostly done by multiplying estimated admissions by the latest average ticket price. Where admissions are unavailable, adjustment is based on the average ticket price for when each movie was released (taking in to account re-releases where applicable).

EXACTLY how Box Office Mojo attempts to convey USD inflated. Meanwhile, it assumed a lot like 3-D and IMAX ticket prices for older movies and what those would have cost back in the good ole days.

Yeah - exactly!

5 hours ago, paperheart said:

(worship)  Hail Wakanda  

3X JL US :roflmao:

Wait. I thought the new measure was how much more profitable Wonder Woman was compared to all its in-year Marvel movies. You know - because that's what you fine ladies would do for a few months if the stats were the reverse.

No. 6 ‘Wonder Woman’ Box Office Profits – 2017 Most Valuable Blockbuster Tournament

THE BOTTOM LINE

Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice generated more in overall revenues than Wonder Woman, $681.5M to $659.1M. But Jenkins’ movie yields an astounding 139% more in profit with $252.9M.

48lOfMg.jpg

No. 7 ‘Spider-Man: Homecoming’ Box Office Profits – 2017 Most Valuable Blockbuster Tournament

What a difference it makes having Marvel involved: Spider-Man: Homecoming generated $200.1M in profit, 184% more than the $70.3M earned by the 2014 webslinger title The Amazing Spider-Man 2.

okGrnbj.jpg

No. 8 ‘Thor: Ragnarok’ Box Office Profits – 2017 Most Valuable Blockbuster Tournament

Thor: Ragnarok reaped more in profit than Thor: Dark World, $174.2M to $139.4M. This despite the rise in production costs from $170M to $180M, and participation that grew from an estimated $12M to $50M.

YJVl8Ku.jpg

No. 9 ‘Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2’ Box Office Profits – 2017 Most Valuable Blockbuster Tournament

Despite making more money at the box office than the first GOTG, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 generates a slightly smaller profit at $154.7M than its first chapter’s $204.2M.

F4NpnOB.jpg

Heck, with Spider-Man Homecoming having an estimated $157M Print & Ad budget, I assumed you all would be talking this to death.

Ah yes- The famous "but some article says it was 'more profitable'" participation trophy that Wonder Woman gets for making less money than every single MCU movie last year.  

I hear Scott Mendelson's phone ringing again.  

lol

(And I see you still don't know the difference between a marketing budget and the "media value" of a promotional campaign and are still spreading your fake news around here.)

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

20 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

When I was a kid I would have never dreamed of a world where almost all the top 10 worldwide movies of all time are geek movies.  Come a long way in a short time.

there's no shame here, you can admit #11 is your favorite

2 minutes ago, paperheart said:
23 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

When I was a kid I would have never dreamed of a world where almost all the top 10 worldwide movies of all time are geek movies.  Come a long way in a short time.

I don't expect either of you to admit to how many times you've sung "Let it Go" in the shower.  :blush:

2 minutes ago, paperheart said:

I've got a daughter who must have watched it a dozen times at least.  I probably can sing most of the songs in my sleep since I'm sure its in my subconscious somewhere.

But for 8 out of the 10 top worldwide movies to be geek movies is just staggering.  I remember when ET was a big deal.

5 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

But for 8 out of the 10 top worldwide movies to be geek movies is just staggering.  I remember when ET was a big deal.

It is incredible when you step back and consider what the Hollywood opinion was about these movies years ago. Now, they are some of the hottest properties and studios are trying to grow their own franchises.

I'm just concerned with Valiant Comics 'growing' when you see all that leadership talent being flushed out of the company.

23 minutes ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Whatever your (people in general) opinion is about SNL the Jeopardy sketch has always been hilarious.  This had me busting out loud laughing.  Potato saladlol.

The game show host helps the skit out in a major way. Those facial expressions when T'Challa answers.

:roflmao:

18 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Wait. I thought the new measure was how much more profitable Wonder Woman was compared to all its in-year Marvel movies. You know - because that's what you fine ladies would do for a few months if the stats were the reverse.

No. 6 ‘Wonder Woman’ Box Office Profits – 2017 Most Valuable Blockbuster Tournament

No. 7 ‘Spider-Man: Homecoming’ Box Office Profits – 2017 Most Valuable Blockbuster Tournament

No. 8 ‘Thor: Ragnarok’ Box Office Profits – 2017 Most Valuable Blockbuster Tournament

No. 9 ‘Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2’ Box Office Profits – 2017 Most Valuable Blockbuster Tournament

Heck, with Spider-Man Homecoming having an estimated $157M Print & Ad budget, I assumed you all would be talking this to death.

I'm so confused what we're arguing about anymore.  The fact that WW is more profitable than any individual Marvel movie that year is surely a feather in its cap no?  Big box office revenue numbers are great and all, but ROI is where it's at for investors.

7 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

I'm so confused what we're arguing about anymore.  The fact that WW is more profitable than any individual Marvel movie that year is surely a feather in its cap no?  Big box office revenue numbers are great and all, but ROI is where it's at for investors.

lol

It's all good. Paperfart has been leaning on an old joke crutch by picking on Justice League repeatedly because WB set itself up for failure. Any time him and Gatsby can throw in a '...better than JL', they will. All part of the fun.

1 hour ago, ExNihilo said:

It's a false flag because the numbers reported are not in the public domain, and further do not take into account ancilliaries (which almost any Marvel movie would best any DC movie) so when you try to wade into those weeds you are not only dealing with incorrect/speculative data, but also incomplete data.  

Which is why how "profitable" a movie was (to a studio) usually only enters the conservation when it in fact under performed relative to other movies.  

-J.