Black Panther official movie thread (11/3/17)
2 2

1,367 posts in this topic

15,627 posts

AFI MOVIES OF THE YEAR

BlackKklansman
Black Panther
Eighth Grade
If Beale Street Could Talk
The Favourite
First Reformed
Green Book
Mary Poppins Returns
A Quiet Place
A Star Is Born

SPECIAL AWARD

Roma

 

Oscar preview?  Black Panther Best Pic Nomination & Into the Spider-Verse Best Animated Pic Nomination - the super hero genre has had an unbelievable 2018

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18,662 posts
On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 11:24 AM, paperheart said:

AFI MOVIES OF THE YEAR

BlackKklansman
Black Panther
Eighth Grade
If Beale Street Could Talk
The Favourite
First Reformed
Green Book
Mary Poppins Returns
A Quiet Place
A Star Is Born

SPECIAL AWARD

Roma

 

Oscar preview?  Black Panther Best Pic Nomination & Into the Spider-Verse Best Animated Pic Nomination - the super hero genre has had an unbelievable 2018

I'm glad Black Panther is on the list and hope it gets nominated (but don't think it will) , but my top two snubs:  Annihilation (sci-fi) and Sorry to Bother You (more sci-fi than you think, but understandably too esoteric to be nominated, but Shape of Water won best picture last year). 

I hope Quiet Place or Green Book win Best Picture.  I certainly haven't seen all the movies on the list, but I feel "A Star is Born" is kind of overrated, though I was thoroughly impressed with Bradley Cooper as a director.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,321 posts

I absolutely think Black Panther will get a Best Picture nomination. The Academy has learned its lesson from the omission of The Dark Knight a decade ago and trying to subvert the process by attempting -- and failing -- to add a "Best Popular Film" category this year.

With up to 10 Best Picture noms (although I don't believe they've ever had more than nine), Black Panther will be among them.

I'm still rooting for A Star Is Born to win -- although I think Roma may ultimately win instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15,627 posts
35 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

I absolutely think Black Panther will get a Best Picture nomination. The Academy has learned its lesson from the omission of The Dark Knight a decade ago and trying to subvert the process by attempting -- and failing -- to add a "Best Popular Film" category this year.

With up to 10 Best Picture noms (although I don't believe they've ever had more than nine), Black Panther will be among them.

I'm still rooting for A Star Is Born to win -- although I think Roma may ultimately win instead.

critics agree- announced today

24TH ANNUAL CRITICS’ CHOICE AWARDS

FILM NOMINATIONS

BEST PICTURE

Black Panther

BlacKkKlansman

The Favourite

First Man

Green Book

If Beale Street Could Talk

Mary Poppins Returns

Roma

A Star Is Born

Vice

Edited by paperheart

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15,627 posts

Coogler didn't land a Best Director nom from the Critics but he did get named to this short list:

Black Panther co-writer and director Ryan Coogler, murdered Washington Post op-ed columnist Jamal Khashoggi and Russian ruler/alleged U.S. election influencer Vladimir Putin join President Donald Trump in contention for Time magazine’s Person of The Year 2018.

Edited by paperheart

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,645 posts
12 hours ago, paperheart said:

Will ‘Black Panther’ earn more Oscar nominations than ‘The Dark Knight’?

https://www.goldderby.com/article/2018/black-panther-oscars-the-dark-knight-news-846205937/

IMO it shouldn't. Not that they care about my opinion...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
242 posts
22 hours ago, paperheart said:

Will ‘Black Panther’ earn more Oscar nominations than ‘The Dark Knight’?

https://www.goldderby.com/article/2018/black-panther-oscars-the-dark-knight-news-846205937/

Yes.

Who cares about The Dark Knight in 2018.

More people talk about another Superhero flick from ten years ago.:baiting:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,645 posts
14 hours ago, Chaos_in_Canada said:

Yes.

Who cares about The Dark Knight in 2018.

More people talk about another Superhero flick from ten years ago.:baiting:

lol wut

latest?cb=20130816013736

Iron Man? The Incredible Hulk? Hellboy II? War Zone? No.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
242 posts
2 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

lol wut

latest?cb=20130816013736

Iron Man? The Incredible Hulk? Hellboy II? War Zone? No.

The only Studio that matters.:golfclap:

 

+Untitled.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,645 posts
3 minutes ago, Chaos_in_Canada said:

The only Studio that matters.:golfclap:

 

+Untitled.jpg

I love Iron Man as much as anyone, but it'll never be as good as The Dark Knight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
242 posts
2 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

I love Iron Man as much as anyone, but it'll never be as good as The Dark Knight.

The first IM movie had a greater impact/influence on Ryan Coogler, director of BP.

And here we are, 10 years later and hopefully BP will be nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars.:wishluck:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,955 posts
On 12/21/2018 at 7:27 AM, TwoPiece said:

I love Iron Man as much as anyone, but it'll never be as good as The Dark Knight.

You're right. It's just slightly better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,847 posts
On 12/21/2018 at 10:37 AM, Chaos_in_Canada said:

The first IM movie had a greater impact/influence on Ryan Coogler, director of BP.

And here we are, 10 years later and hopefully BP will be nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars.:wishluck:

Best picture? Really? I mean it was ok. But...best picture nomination? I don’t think so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
242 posts
4 minutes ago, bb8 said:

Best picture? Really? I mean it was ok. But...best picture nomination? I don’t think so.

Let me guess, you don't own a CGC FF52? :cry:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,847 posts
Just now, Chaos_in_Canada said:

Let me guess, you don't own a CGC FF52? :cry:

I actually have a copy (kind of an impulse eBay buy) but it’s not graded. I like the character and I liked the movie but it didn’t warrant the media attention from a quality perspective that it received. Culturally I don’t think it was overly earth-shattering either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
242 posts
2 minutes ago, bb8 said:

I actually have a copy (kind of an impulse eBay buy) but it’s not graded. I like the character and I liked the movie but it didn’t warrant the media attention from a quality perspective that it received. Culturally I don’t think it was overly earth-shattering either.

Really?

I don't believe you:baiting:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,847 posts
Just now, Chaos_in_Canada said:

Really?

I don't believe you:baiting:

I SWEAR 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,955 posts
15 minutes ago, bb8 said:

Best picture? Really? I mean it was ok. But...best picture nomination? I don’t think so.

Yes, it was that great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
2 2