• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THOR: RAGNAROK official thread (7/28/2017)
5 5

896 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Analyst sites and reporting sites are not WB/DC. And what would you want WB/DC to do? Come out and tell these folks, "Calm down. This is going to do much less than you all are hyping this up to be!" How would that go over in the market?

It's like when the fake Wonder Woman internal details came out. WB/DC kept it quiet so as not to add to the confusion of the situation. Even Patty Jenkins only took it so far, and then let it die down. Otherwise, you are feeding the beast.

You agree?

I agree it is a catch 22. Your do not want to anger the beast, but do not feed it either.  I am not sure they could have done anything different. They likely were getting caught up in the hype internally, so they got broadsided. What is clear is the day after was handled horribly.

3 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:
9 minutes ago, drotto said:

WB may never have said it, but fan sites and members of the press were predicting that this was DC's Avengers.   You can dig back on the threads here a finds endless posts about people predicting that BvS would at worse be a billion dollar film. That level of hype was not just fabricated by people that read the CGC forums.  WB attempted to ride that wave and did nothing to temper expectations. Then when things went south, they responded very poorly.

Analyst sites and reporting sites are not WB/DC. And what would you want WB/DC to do? Come out and tell these folks, "Calm down. This is going to do much less than you all are hyping this up to be!" How would that go over in the market?

It's like when the fake Wonder Woman internal details came out. WB/DC kept it quiet so as not to add to the confusion of the situation. Even Patty Jenkins only took it so far, and then let it die down. Otherwise, you are feeding the beast.

I don't know what the expectations that WB put out publically about BvS, and I agree there's its hard to temper expectations without denigrating your own movie once they're out there, but I was thinking it was a bit like the card game 'hearts'.

BvS is a POWERFUL card to play, like the queen of spades.  And they essentially led with it on the 2nd trick, which is generally considered quite early.  That signals to most people that you expect to shoot the moon.   Its not the end of the world if you don't end up shooting the moon, but its pretty clear you meant to shoot the moon.

2 minutes ago, revat said:

I don't know what the expectations that WB put out publically about BvS, and I agree there's its hard to temper expectations without denigrating your own movie once they're out there, but I was thinking it was a bit like the card game 'hearts'.

BvS is a POWERFUL card to play, like the queen of spades.  And they essentially led with it on the 2nd trick, which is generally considered quite early.  That signals to most people that you expect to shoot the moon.   Its not the end of the world if you don't end up shooting the moon, but its pretty clear you meant to shoot the moon.

Looking at this from an unbiased perspective, the biggest flaw was rather than crafting a story that would pull in even more new fans while building upon 'Man of Steel', they appear to have shot for hardcore comic book fans that knew in advance most of the source material. But there were general news sites interviewing potential movie-goers, and many that had nothing to do with comic books were confused why two heroes were fighting one another. Especially these two after decades of being portrayed as friends or at least supporting heroes.

Assuming shooting for the moon - difficult to say. But it sure was a jump forward that must have been talked about internally how the general audience may not get this completely. So if you follow the path set, you are shooting for fan excitement versus big dollars. Kind of like 'Suicide Squad' keeping Katana - realizing Japanese symbolism was going to cost them the Chinese box office.

40 minutes ago, Eclipse said:

Bootleg is up on Watch 32 already

I know you didn't finish your sentence:bigsmile:...

"Bootleg is up on Watch 32 already...but everybody should pay for the movie and enjoy it on the big screen because piracy hurts the movie business".

Finally here...let's go see this movie!!!!!!!!

Edited by AnthonyTheAbyss
My post #666...woot:-)

4 hours ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

I know you didn't finish your sentence:bigsmile:...

"Bootleg is up on Watch 32 already...but everybody should pay for the movie and enjoy it on the big screen because piracy hurts the movie business".

Finally here...let's go see this movie!!!!!!!!

I have 3 kids...girls actually.. you think i have time to go to the movies? And if i do, they don't want to see thor.....

Just got back and had to leave about 2/3 way through. But that movie was insanely entertaining from a THOR comic fan perspective. All kinds of homages to silver and bronze age Thor (inc. Kirby and obligatory Stan appearance).

It will be a moneymaking hit for sure.

Also, anyone old enough to recognize the

willy wonka  homage?

The twist on Hela being Thor's sister and backstory was new though -- I think.

I wonder if the Infinity Gauntlet she tossed aside, was indeed fake -- must have been, for her to poo poo it. But it was cool to see her respect the cosmic cube.

Also, enjoyed seeing Odin dressed on earth, in the same attire as he had in the comic story-line with the similar theme (Don't remember if it was Ragnarok, but there was that period he went to earth and forgot who he was) .

Matt Damon play - hilarious and unexpected.

Edited by bronze_rules

Saw it tonight with friends and everyone loved it. Sold out and everyone in the theater was having a great time. Looking forward to taking the wife and kids this weekend they'll love it :applause: Action was awesome and it was very funny, one of the funniest movies I've seen in awhile. 

In case anyone is wondering about this. I didn't think it was a movie you had to worry too much about kids 10 or older. Some of the big battle scenes may be a bit much.

Is Thor: Ragnarok OK For Kids?

By the time we reach Thor: Ragnarok, we are 17 movies deep into this Marvel Cinematic Universe, so parents should be pretty familiar with the tone and tenor of this world and know -- basically -- what to expect. This is largely true, though with Marvel Studios bringing in fresh filmmakers on most of its stories now, those creative talents will bring their own sensitivities. You don't hire James Gunn (Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2) and ask him to NOT make a James Gunn movie, for example. So, every Marvel movie is not the same, and not all of them are made to appeal directly to kids.

Thor: Ragnarok works best as a comedy, with Taika Waititi leaning on Chris Hemsworth's impeccable timing to land some huge laughs. A lot of Thor relies on physical comedy. Valkyrie (Tessa Thompson) is a bit of a lush, so she'll stumble off a ship's platform and fall on her face. Or Thor, as he tied up in chains, will keep spinning... interfering with his efforts to confer with a villain.

Spoiler

Some of the jokes are a bit more risqué. Nothing major. There's a quick joke about an orgy. Hulk walks around with no clothes on in a scene, and while we see his Hulk butt, Thor comments about his Hulk shlong. Most of these are done quickly, in passing, and kids might not grasp them at all.

The language in Thor: Ragnarok is standard for a Marvel movie. The studio tends to get away with one or two "" (like when Spider-Man screams it in Captain America: Civil War). There's a "mess" in Ragnarok, and Thor calls someone a "son of a person_without_enough_empathy." That almost sounds Shakespearean coming out of the Norse god's mouth.

What age is Thor: Ragnarok good for? To be honest, this one felt more PG than it did the PG-13 rating that it received.