• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THOR: RAGNAROK official thread (7/28/2017)
5 5

896 posts in this topic

Sorry to bring my grumpy opinion but Ragnarok was rather disappointing for me. It was absolutely riddled with a form of humor I do not find funny at all explained very nicely in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-QhdzQo66o

I don't hate humor, but all means the Apple store scene in Winter Solider is great, but its because its funny to us as an audience and frustrating and not humiliating to the character involved. This movie did a few things well, I thoroughly enjoyed Hela and Surtur and wish they were in a movie that respected their presence better. Tom Hiddleston did the best he could to maintain Loki's integrity but they pulled the rug out from him so often.
There was a lot of great Kirby influence in the design of costumes, architecture and technology on Sakaar and this I was able to appreciate as well. Unfortunately I just kinda left feeling "well I guess I was entertained" Instead of pumped or excited. I seem to be very alone in this opinion though the two friends I saw it with agreed a bit with me.

Edited by Vexsus

3 hours ago, Vexsus said:

Sorry to bring my grumpy opinion but Ragnarok was rather disappointing for me. It was absolutely riddled with a form of humor I do not find funny at all explained very nicely in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-QhdzQo66o

I don't hate humor, but all means the Apple store scene in Winter Solider is great, but its because its funny to us as an audience and frustrating and not humiliating to the character involved. This movie did a few things well, I thoroughly enjoyed Hela and Surtur and wish they were in a movie that respected their presence better. Tom Hiddleston did the best he could to maintain Loki's integrity but they pulled the rug out from him so often.
There was a lot of great Kirby influence in the design of costumes, architecture and technology on Sakaar and this I was able to appreciate as well. Unfortunately I just kinda left feeling "well I guess I was entertained" Instead of pumped or excited. I seem to be very alone in this opinion though the two friends I saw it with agreed a bit with me.

That video is great, thank you for posting that. 

I saw some parallels in the story where father leaves clues for the son, both overtly and covertly, and that the father has an unspoken faith that the son will figure it out and man up in the end. Think Howard Stark-Tony Stark. Now Odin and Thor. This film leaves no doubt how far Thor has come in his character development, growth and maturity since that first film, very much following what has happened in the Iron Man movies.

5 hours ago, Jaylam said:

I saw some parallels in the story where father leaves clues for the son, both overtly and covertly, and that the father has an unspoken faith that the son will figure it out and man up in the end. Think Howard Stark-Tony Stark. Now Odin and Thor. This film leaves no doubt how far Thor has come in his character development, growth and maturity since that first film, very much following what has happened in the Iron Man movies.

I hadn’t considered that... very poignant thought.

13 minutes ago, piper said:

I hadn’t considered that... very poignant thought.

I had the same realization afterwards, though I also was including Guardians 2 into the mix though Peter's dad had evil motives with the hopes of his son achieving more.

It was sad to see Odin go. But I sure appreciated the way they handled his character final wrap-up and departure. It gave it a feel of an appropriate closure between him and his sons.

Went to see it yesterday with the missus and the son; everybody enjoyed it thoroughly. Some of the sitcom aspects were a bit unusual but the jokes were all good ones. Underneath it all are some classic dramatic themes that give the story some heft.

I was pleasantly surprised since I’m experiencing a bit of superhero movie/TV fatigue these days. (Just finished Luke Cage this week and that’s a show I enjoyed.) I‘m also a bit burnt on the heavy, dark, anti-hero superhero angle so it was refreshing to see something energetic and high-spirited. The current trend of 2 hour-plus epics is another aspect I’m tired of but Ragnarok moved along at a nice clip without myriad subplots to bog it down. I saw Christopher Yost was one of the writers; I’m a big fan of his work on the animated Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes (another show the whole family enjoyed).

I liked this little plug for his previous work.

One 'Thor: Ragnarok' Easter Egg Had Nothing to Do With Marvel

thor-and-hulkjpg.jpeg?rect=0,0,2048,683&

One of the funniest and best Easter eggs in Thor: Ragnarok doesn’t tease other MCU heroes or nod to a detail from Marvel comics. It instead references one of director Taika Waititi’s other films: What We Do in the Shadows.

Spoiler

korg-is-just-such-a-friendly-murderous-p

Roughly midway through Thor: Ragnarok, the God of Thunder gears up to enter the gladiatorial Contest of Champions. Taika Waititi himself plays Korg, a fellow gladiator made of rocks that becomes Thor’s companion.

One of Korg’s friendly but not helpful suggestions for a weapon is a forked wooden spear that Thor dismisses quickly. Unphased, Korg admits something like, “Yeah, not very useful unless you’re up against three vampires all huddled up, eh?” The reference is a bit obtuse, but considering it’s Waititi himself speaking the line, it’s likely a nod to What We Do in the Shadows.

I enjoyed the movie.  I think I enjoyed the sets and stylized visuals of this movie more than any other marvel movie so far.  I thought they did a great job.  I liked the actors and acting, could have used a bit more Hela.  But I don't think I LOVED LOVED it the way many people seem to.  This was pure comedy, but I think it was missing some of the 'heart' that made GOTG so awesome.  And I think some of the jokes were a bit obvious or forced, but still generally quite funny.  I would recommend this movie to anyone though, its pretty safe for kids if you think watching Hela send knives into about a 1000 people is ok to show your kids.

For those wondering about taking their wives, my wife liked it about as much as she liked Wonder Woman, which is to say she gave it a 'B'.  Entertaining and fun.  I think we both enjoyed Loki the most (which we expected to do), and she liked Thor a lot more than in his previous movies.

My minor issues/questions:

Spoiler

What happened to Sif?  they should have at least mentioned it right?

Does Thor now have the Odinforce?  Or is he just unlocking his potential?

I need to see this again. Those scenes with Jeff Goldblum made this fun. And his character is such a push-over for Valkyrie, along with hunting for compliments about his looks.

I read the other day ' Scrapper 142' is reference to Valkyrie's 1st appearance in The Incredible Hulk #142 (the appearance before this was The Enchantress).

12 minutes ago, drotto said:

Thor had an amazing hual considering it almost equaled the first film in one weekend (I realized the staggered international), and about 2/3 of the Dark World.

Never would have guessed a Thor movie would hit 800 million easily.

I hope we're solidly in the world of specific "genre" movies with comic heroes, as opposed to just 'comic movies'.  New Mutants seems like it will be horror, Black Panther is Afro-futurism.  Thor was like an action buddy space comedy.  Not sure about JL, I guess we'll see.

Spoiler

Awesome movie! Glad to see them finally let Thor have some comedic moments and got rid of the silly comedic characters like Darcy. Thor and Hulk are just great together. This is how a super hero movie is made and Marvel really has the formula down. Action comedy, just an all around great popcorn flick for the whole family. 

I just hope Thor gets his hammer back somehow. That and him missing an eye while essential to the story (well not the eye really) hopefully get reversed. 

I immediately downloaded the Immigrant Song after this movie. Perfect for the movie!

Edited by ianh

25 minutes ago, ianh said:

Awesome movie! Glad to see them finally let Thor have some comedic moments and got rid of the silly comedic characters like Darcy. Thor and Hulk are just great together. This is how a super hero movie is made and Marvel really has the formula down. Action comedy, just an all around great popcorn flick for the whole family. 

I just hope Thor gets his hammer back somehow. That and him missing an eye while essential to the story (well not the eye really) hopefully get reversed. 

I immediately downloaded the Immigrant Song after this movie. Perfect for the movie!

1510003828_Thor-Ragnarok.jpg