• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman Bronze Age Appreciation Thread
7 7

403 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Professor Chaos said:

Yesterday on Heritage from the Alfred Pennyworth collection a 9.8 Bat 227 sold for 31,200. Minutes later a 9.8 Bat 232 also Pennyworth went for 8,200. 1/4 the price. To me thats a serious injustice. A cool cover (Extra Robin) is 4X more costly than the 1st app of Batmans greatest Bronze Age nemisis. 

That's crazy. There is a 9.8 Bat 227 on Metro for $9k and I thought that was pushing it. IMO, 232 is undervalued. It seems to have leveled off while 227 is going through the roof. I mean, I get the black cover angle, a pedigree and the classic cover but come on. People paying that kind of money for 227 is creating an artificial value bubble around the thing.

I wonder what Metro will do when they see the sale price of that 227? Double their "asking" price?

The 189 Boston was also crazy at I think 8X that last sale 18 months ago.  Now at least with the 189 the census data is indicating that it is a very rare book in 9.8.

The 227 though is tough, but not rare.

I would congratulate Heritage on getting a ton of money for our fellow forum member on those two books.

12 hours ago, Randall Ries said:

That's crazy. There is a 9.8 Bat 227 on Metro for $9k and I thought that was pushing it. IMO, 232 is undervalued. It seems to have leveled off while 227 is going through the roof. I mean, I get the black cover angle, a pedigree and the classic cover but come on. People paying that kind of money for 227 is creating an artificial value bubble around the thing.

I wonder what Metro will do when they see the sale price of that 227? Double their "asking" price?

:bigsmile: Not if you buy it first. :baiting:

14 hours ago, Randall Ries said:

Yep. One thing 227 has over 232 is there are 9 227's in 9.8 and 60 232's in the same. But still 1st Rha's should make up for that or at least come close. I get the homage cover and all, personally I think 221 blows it away. 

12 hours ago, Professor Chaos said:

Yep. One thing 227 has over 232 is there are 9 227's in 9.8 and 60 232's in the same. But still 1st Rha's should make up for that or at least come close. I get the homage cover and all, personally I think 221 blows it away. 

Oh yes. That is a fine cover. I have both 227 and HOS 92. People seem Gaga over the hanging panels covers and both have been designated "classic".

And yes. 227 is really hard to find in good shape because of the black cover. I admit I love that cover. 232 is a good cover but not "knock me on my keister" good. Something about the green cover that is distracting. A 5.5-6.0 232 can still present really nicely vs a 227 in the same grade. I just think $31k is a lot of money to pay for a 9.8. I suppose none of us who own a copy can't lose. Go ahead. Spend that kind of money. The lower F-VF grades will get a nod as well.

Edited by Randall Ries

13 hours ago, ramrod44 said:

:bigsmile: Not if you buy it first. :baiting:

They bumped their $9k 227 to $30k overnight. Just like I predicted they would. It sat there with a bid of $7k for months. Wonder if it will sell for $30k. I thought part of the allure of the HA book was the pedigree. I saw a 9.4 for sale on a dealer site for $3k. Overnight it is now $4.5k.

True but 232 has a much much bigger population. Supply and demand but the 227 is an outlier it is, can’t imagine too many ppl will pony up 30K for a 9.8 copy, but yes having one available for 20k less on a hugely popular dealer site makes you wonder. I can’t imagine it was a competitive set collector.

Oh True but 232 has a much much bigger population. Supply and demand but the 227 is an outlier it is, can’t imagine too many ppl will pony up 30K for a 9.8 copy, but yes having one available for 20k less on a hugely popular dealer site makes you wonder. I can’t imagine it was a competitive set collector.

1 minute ago, JohnH19 said:

Issue 164 is pure vintage 1964 silver. In fact, it’s the first new look Batman issue. I love it! (thumbsu

You know, I don’t think there’s a Batman Silver Age Thread.  Most of the time people make fun of how campy the issues are from that time, but I still enjoy reading them.  At least by #164 DC had phased out Bat-Hound and Bat-Mite

1 minute ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

You know, I don’t think there’s a Batman Silver Age Thread.  Most of the time people make fun of how campy the issues are from that time, but I still enjoy reading them.  At least by #164 DC had phased out Bat-Hound and Bat-Mite

There definitely should be a silver age Batman thread but where would it start? In my mind it would begin with the new look in Bats 164, Tec 327 and WF 142 but that’s already 1964 which is awfully late. The old look just screams golden age to me.

14 minutes ago, JohnH19 said:

There definitely should be a silver age Batman thread but where would it start? In my mind it would begin with the new look in Bats 164, Tec 327 and WF 142 but that’s already 1964 which is awfully late. The old look just screams golden age to me.

I seem to recall some interview I saw with Denny O’Neill where he said the yellow bat symbol on Bruce’s chest marked the beginning of Batman’s Silver Age.  But 1964 was 8 years after Barry Allen’s first appearance.  Hmm

Edited by Jasonmorris1000000