• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman Bronze Age Appreciation Thread
7 7

403 posts in this topic

Well, it appears that Denny and I agree on this.

While the silver age in general is acknowledged to have begun in 1956 with the debut of the Flash, Superman’s silver age began in 1958, GL in 59, Hawkman and the Atom later still.

Maybe 1964 isn’t ridiculously late for Batman because there are no other logical mileposts.

1 minute ago, JohnH19 said:

Well, it appears that Denny and I agree on this.

While the silver age in general is acknowledged to have begun in 1956 with the debut of the Flash, Superman’s silver age began in 1958, GL in 59, Hawkman and the Atom later still.

Maybe 1964 isn’t ridiculously late for Batman because there are no other logical mileposts.

Why is 1958 the beginning of Superman’s silver age?

16 hours ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

Why is 1958 the beginning of Superman’s silver age?

Mort Weisinger took over editorial duties with Superman 122 and Action 241. The titles then introduced the Fortress of Solitude, the bottle city of Kandor, Supergirl, Brainiac, etc. 

On 3/20/2021 at 5:59 PM, JohnH19 said:

Mort Weisinger took over editorial duties with Superman 122 and Action 241. The titles then introduced the Fortress of Solitude, the bottle city of Kandor, Supergirl, Brainiac, etc. 

I like that solution a lot.  Today we take cross-title continuity for granted, but I believe Weisinger was the first to attempt it across any significant number of comics.  And there were a lot of Superman comics in 1958:  Superman, Action Comics, Superboy, Adventure Comics, Jimmy Olsen, Lois Lane, and not counting Worlds Finest, which I don't think was Weisinger's.  He called it the Superman "mythology" and things like the Legion of Super-Heroes, the bottle city of Kandor, the Phantom Zone, the Bizarros, etc. would be introduced in one title and then pop up in another several months later.  And he did it years before the Marvel Age of Comics came into being.  (thumbsu

Thanks.  I’m trying to get all Batman issues from #200 up to the current issue.  I think I’m just missing 30 or so now.  I’m thinking of sending in my #227 and 251 to CGC since prices have taken off lately for those.  It seems weird to me that #251 sells for more than #232 these days.  I’m hoping the #227 gets a least a 7.0, but it’s got some spine ticks...

5 hours ago, cujobyte said:

If moving any, please lmk!! Gorjuss