• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman Bronze Age Appreciation Thread
7 7

403 posts in this topic

There is a slew of Comiclink auctions of Bronze Batman books (all 9.8) that are ending tonight.

24 books from Batman #271-300 (all 9.8)

18 books from Batman #313-400 (all 9.8)

My favorites:

Batman #281 9.8 absolutely perfectly registered cover

Batman #287 9.8 Penguin cover by Mike Grell

Batman #292 9.8 Riddler cover

Batman #296 9.8 Scarecrow cover

Batman #323 9.8 Catwoman cover

Batman #353 9.8 Joker cover

I'm not sure I have a favorite BA cover or issue. To me, all the Bat related books took a sharp turn in direction right after DC stopped printing books in the 100 page format. It was around this time I actually stopped buying Batman regularly as a kid. Even today, that's generally my cutoff when it comes to collecting Bats. There's early BA and there's late BA. I just can't seem to get interested in the later half.

How can you not love Neal Adams bronze Bat books. :cloud9:

I'm pretty sure that's impossible for those with eyesight.

Anyone win any of the books at CL that just ended? I didn't get any of the BA ones.

It's great seeing them close one by one and remembering all the awesome covers I forget about.

Alright, I thought about it. It's easy to lean towards Bats 227 and 232, but when I ask myself what books have stuck with me over the years (even when I wasn't collecting), I find myself actually gravitating towards some of the Kaluta books. Here is a prime example. This 8.5 was originally bought as a filler, but it turned out so nice (the scan is crappy), I decided to keep it. Actually looks nicer than some 9.4s I have.

RAD301EC2013312_155317.jpg

Tec' 424 deserves honorable mention as well. Another 8.5 that's so nice, I'm not going to bother upgrading from it.

det1.10898a.jpg

Like many of the Adams covers, I thought these were way ahead of their time, and certainly way ahead of the early BA writing style.

I have so many awesome bronze Batman's and Detective's (there are sooo many of them). That I don't know where to start. It seems silly to start with Bats 227 and Tec 400. Because they are legendary.

Maybe I'll find the time to scan many of the others.

Edited by conditionfreak