• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman Bronze Age Appreciation Thread
7 7

403 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

Anyone else been watching Sparkle City's Bats 251 on eBay? Within an eyelash of $2500 with about a day left. Really, really nice copy.

Thanks for letting everyone know about it when I'm bidding!  :baiting:  Just kidding 

Whomever wins that 9.6 is going to have a great book.  What a stunner. 

I hate pressing, but admit that it's an accepted part of the hobby now. 

That said, I am so tempted to have my old label 9.0 white pages squished after seeing these insane prices for Bats 251. It has a very good chance at 9.4 minimum if not a 9.6. Great centering too.  

I think this is my favorite Batman maybe of all time as a cover: Detective 395 (pic added for those visually inclined). I like that it is a ghost type story, and sorry if there are Robin fans around here, but like it too that Batman is on his own not to mention NA art of course! Alas it is way too expensive in high grade as there are no 9.8's and a 9.6 went for over 3k!

395.jpg

On 7/4/2017 at 1:11 PM, Comicdey said:

Here are two real nice bats from an OO collection I found last summer.

IMG_1703.JPG

Those look great and love the gloss! Good call on finding those. I especially like the logo of that time period of Batman on the upper left!

On 6/14/2017 at 4:25 PM, Martin Sinescu said:

Glad to see this thread back. Here's an upgrade I picked up a CLink or two ago. Would love to see this one in the new holder....

Detective395_MG_2426.jpg

That's awesome just seeing this now! If you don't mind me asking how much does 9.4 go for generally as am keeping my eye out for a high grade! I thought that was the new CGC holder....

4 hours ago, Ghazi said:

That's awesome just seeing this now! If you don't mind me asking how much does 9.4 go for generally as am keeping my eye out for a high grade! I thought that was the new CGC holder....

This one was right around $1k. Another came up on eBay later that month for less, so I'd say you're looking at around $700-1000 for a 9.4. 

I actually did get this reholdered earlier this summer, just haven't had a chance to take a photo in the new case. The colors pop so much better now with the upgraded case.

21 minutes ago, Martin Sinescu said:

This one was right around $1k. Another came up on eBay later that month for less, so I'd say you're looking at around $700-1000 for a 9.4. 

I actually did get this reholdered earlier this summer, just haven't had a chance to take a photo in the new case. The colors pop so much better now with the upgraded case.

Hi Martin, Thank you so much  for letting me know. Ouch I had no idea it would be that expensive. I thought they would go for 500-700 max. I guess I am delusional or a wishful thinker... that is out of my league with the price. Big congrats for securing the buy:) If one other one does come up. I will bid and try to stay in but my threshold isn't like you guys!

Its amazing how the colors make all the difference especially when the book is so old. I was always amazed with how Mylar made books look! Congrats again! Thanks for the pic and sharing.

19 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

Oh my, I just looked through the next two CLink auctions. I think I'm going to need a bigger checkbook, those Fantucchios are dreamy.

There certainly are plenty of great books coming up.  I have my eye on 3 books, but doubt I'll win any of them. 

Yeah, accepting that I have no shot at that delish 'Tec 359, there are 4 or 5 stunners that have been at the top of my priority list for a while. Beautiful colors, perfect centering. Sigh. I should probably just lock myself in a monastery until it's over.

2 minutes ago, Martin Sinescu said:

Yeah, accepting that I have no shot at that delish 'Tec 359, there are 4 or 5 stunners that have been at the top of my priority list for a while. Beautiful colors, perfect centering. Sigh. I should probably just lock myself in a monastery until it's over.

It is beaut.  Not on my bid list.  I had the chance 6 or 7 years ago on a sharp 9.4, but passed.  I guess I just have to realize I can't buy every book that I want.  Come on Lotto!   

Bronze bats book of the evening...about 20 years ago, Showcase New England ran a CBG ad with an entire collection, every book graded 9.8. Surely over graded, I thought, but ordered a few modest books to assess. This was one of them, and the grade was legit!

IMG_1560.JPG