• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Inner sleeves

38 posts in this topic

i've stored over 100 slabs standing up and none have had slippage where the comic is hitting the bottom to cause damage.

I check my books often so I would know if it's happening. But...what Joey said does have me concerned...now I need to shift some things around. :(

Joe do you store them spine down or edge down?

Spine down. Open edge of the book facing North.

What kind of storage boxes/shelves do you use? Seems kind of tricky to store them this way and have the top labels visible. hm

Joe do you store them spine down or edge down?

Spine down. Open edge of the book facing North.

What kind of storage boxes/shelves do you use? Seems kind of tricky to store them this way and have the top labels visible. hm

I had custom cabinets made to store the books.

and cause problems. The "wedge" is inserted to stop this from happening.

The new style well is recognizable with the "seams/seals" at the sides and the pinch at the bottom and top. If the book is slabbed in such a way where it, as a whole, is not held tightly enough, the cover will stay in place from friction with the well, but the insides of the book will be able to move around upon impact.

This will cause staple tears and can ever rip the cover clean off. It is more likely to happen on books with a thick cover stock.

Is this what is happening to all the Web of Spider-man #118's I keep seeing? I want to stock up on this book in 9.8, but lately every time I find one it looks like the Inner pages are completely detached from the cover. One of the more extreme cases of this was in a For Sale thread on these very boards, but was afraid to say anything.

The new style well is recognizable with the "seams/seals" at the sides and the pinch at the bottom and top. If the book is slabbed in such a way where it, as a whole, is not held tightly enough, the cover will stay in place from friction with the well, but the insides of the book will be able to move around upon impact.

This will cause staple tears and can ever rip the cover clean off. It is more likely to happen on books with a thick cover stock.

Is this what is happening to all the Web of Spider-man #118's I keep seeing? I want to stock up on this book in 9.8, but lately every time I find one it looks like the Inner pages are completely detached from the cover. One of the more extreme cases of this was in a For Sale thread on these very boards, but was afraid to say anything.

It happens more with Spidey 118's because it has an insert that is stapled to the inside of the book. It adds stress to the staple area on the cover and "pop" when additional stress is added by the friction of the inner well. I see this happen to books mailed in to me where the staples pop from the handling they get from the PO.

It happens more with Spidey 118's because it has an insert that is stapled to the inside of the book. It adds stress to the staple area on the cover and "pop" when additional stress is added by the friction of the inner well. I see this happen to books mailed in to me where the staples pop from the handling they get from the PO.

Surly CGC Knows what is happening? isn't there a way to prevent that?

Check out my New Teen Titans # 1 CGC 9.8 copy here. Damaged caused by book placement into the inner well.

27472b58-bfff-49a2-aba2-81b89dbb1a07_zps413db089.jpg

It's hard for me to believe this damaged occurred from SCS, after the book was in the slab. If so, how is there breaks between the bends. I suspect this happened during encapsulation. Either way it sucks. Did you return the book ?

Check out my New Teen Titans # 1 CGC 9.8 copy here. Damaged caused by book placement into the inner well.

27472b58-bfff-49a2-aba2-81b89dbb1a07_zps413db089.jpg

It's hard for me to believe this damaged occurred from SCS, after the book was in the slab. If so, how is there breaks between the bends. I suspect this happened during encapsulation. Either way it sucks. Did you return the book ?

Did not return. I like being able to tell people its a 9.8 ;)

Surly CGC Knows what is happening? isn't there a way to prevent that?
Now This is what I'm talking about, keep up the good work CGC. :applause:

1610849_1542761122608316_8965983427167869004_n_zpsa7760bd5.jpg

I can't see the pages ever shaking out of that cover.