• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America: Civil War official movie thread (5/6/16)

2,267 posts in this topic

I watched it today as well, and thought it was great. Really looking forward to seeing this Spider-Man in his solo movie.

Agreed!

I know some of my comic friends that are 28+ are kinda complaining he is too young, but I think that is the right play. My generation got Tobey/Garfield and I would say 3 really good Spider-man movies mixed with 2 terrible ones.

Let the younger kids relate more to this real life teenager as Spider-man, and watch Tom Holland grow into the character.

IMO its the smart move that will keep AF 15's on the rise for years to come.

I think keeping what I loved most about this move and I keep coming back to:

How they showed how strong Spider-man is and he only got his powers 6 months ago.

I mean it seemed Peter himself didn't even realize how strong he is yet, but all the other heroes see the massive potential of him.

You might be partially right but after spending 12 years here you kind of get a feel for things and hear/read a lot of things.

I definitely think that the Comic forum has become very agenda driven in the way that the WC has as well, only the agendas over there are value driven compared to being politically driven here.

Again, just my perception.

After being here 8 years, I'd say you could be wasting time over nothing. But that is just my opinion. Like when you thought I was posting comic book movie and TV news to make money somewhere - somehow - versus just loving how OUR hobby has exploded in such media.

It just leads to unnecessary friction. But that's your choices and perception to deal with.

So posting on a chat forum about movies and comics isn't wasting time but I'm wasting my time giving an opinion about something? lol

Thanks for advising me that I'm wasting my time. :insane:

Wasting time is relative. Anybody posting on a collectibles chat forum is technically 'wasting time'. You talking about movies is 'wasting time'. But people 'waste time' because they find some value in it. I found value in responding to Doohick why I would prefer to discuss the Cap movie here rather than there and I did so in an effort to prevent this place from becoming another Movie Sub-Forum.

There are people who own Marvel or DC stock, there are people who own certain books that they pump (yay, go Showcase #4, which sat for nearly 2 decades as an overpriced boat anchor - just ask any seasoned dealer - great book without question, but nobody wanted to pony up for a copy. Those people pumping their books may not pump them in the movie forums so if you don't follow the other forums you might miss it), and there are people who have personal vendettas against certain board members. Some of this has been openly admitted to and some of it is just perception that I've pieced together over years of observation. Add in all of the posts about Legos, Arby's ads, fan made posters and videos, etc and for me there is just too much noise in that chat forum for it to be enjoyable.

I did not 'think' you were posting about movies to make money. I was genuinely curious as to your motivation, because you seem to put a superhuman effort into posting about movies - so much so that it's an even bigger effort than when I was in my posting-mania a few years ago when I passed greggy's post count. Since I know how much effort it took for me to make those posts, I was genuinely curious about your motivation.

Mine was addiction to the internet. :acclaim:

So because of that curiosity, I made a genuinely light hearted joke questioning why and asked if you were monetizing it somehow - which is not uncommon in the internet age. People make all sorts money from high volume internet posts.

I expected some light hearted reply like 'oh, I just love talking about movies' and instead it became a 'thing' between you and I.

To my knowledge I don't remember you answering it with a straight forward answer.

It just leads to unnecessary friction. But that's your choices and perception to deal with.

So as I've said in the past, I can't tell anyone else how to post but you can. Gotcha. Appreciate the advice.

Maybe you can also look into causes of unnecessary friction while you're at it.

My initial reply was to Doohick. Why you felt the need to chime in, I have no idea.

I loved Panther's intro and the way he just looked at the people shooting at him as the bullets dropped off like rainwater. Yeah Vibranium baby-deal with it.

It might have been posted, but does anybody have a link to the end-end scene. I know it's probably been up and taken down, but one of you Tec-savvy guys (or girls) can find it.

Thanks.

Movie was completely amazing. I'd watch it again in a heartbeat. Yes, like the rest, Spidey brought a BIG smile to my face. Surprised at Falcon. He stepped it up big time, and was bad azzz. So much action, they way I like it.

I can't believe Iron Man died :jokealert:

Saw it again this morning with the kids before we did the FCBD thing. We got there at 10:15 for the 10:30 show, and we had to sit in two different groups of two as the theatre was packed. The damn 10:30 AM show and there was another show at 11:00.

I have no plans to see it tomorrow which I'm wondering if that will lead to withdrawl symptoms.

Jim

I really never thought about how strong Spider-man was. Like catching a punch from Bucky's metal arm without a hitch, but Cap had o use both arms. I had just always thought Cap was stronger.

I really liked Zemo. I think they underplayed his part in this to focus more on Cap vs. Iron Man so they can really bring him in later and show his full potential.

FYI: This is a whole thread devoted to this movie in Comics General / Comic Movies --

LINK

General consensus is that the movie is well worth seeing. With so many people saying they love it, there is also a backlash with a smaller percentage of people saying their high expectations were not met. I was lucky enough to see it last week at a preview, so I had no expectations and I found the movie very enjoyable (in spite of the twit next to me who kept fiddling with his cell phone every couple minutes).

Twits on cell phones are why you buy a large soda but don't drink it. When the twit whips out his cell phone, you "accidentally" spill your drink all over his lap.

I have no problem just walking up to someone and asking them to put their phone away. I did just that a few weeks ago when some lady in front of me kept texting with someone. I didn't pay $12 to watch someone give me a migraine.

Disrespectful idjits.

I really enjoyed Spider-man. That exactly how that kid should be and was portrayed for years that way in the comics as well.

Id love to see him and the Human Torch appear together, but I know that wont happens. 80s comic book geeks know what I am talking about.

ASM annual 4, one of my favorites

Amazing_Spider-Man_Annual_Vol_1_4.jpg

Fantastic film. My wife said it was too long. I disagree! :sumo:

I thought it was close to perfect....

FYI: This is a whole thread devoted to this movie in Comics General / Comic Movies --

LINK

General consensus is that the movie is well worth seeing. With so many people saying they love it, there is also a backlash with a smaller percentage of people saying their high expectations were not met. I was lucky enough to see it last week at a preview, so I had no expectations and I found the movie very enjoyable (in spite of the twit next to me who kept fiddling with his cell phone every couple minutes).

Twits on cell phones are why you buy a large soda but don't drink it. When the twit whips out his cell phone, you "accidentally" spill your drink all over his lap.

I have no problem just walking up to someone and asking them to put their phone away. I did just that a few weeks ago when some lady in front of me kept texting with someone. I didn't pay $12 to watch someone give me a migraine. Disrespectful idjits.

I wimped out because it was a group of people who seemed potentially volatile, and I didn't want some tense exchange to ruin the rest of the movie. Early on I was thinking, "Is this guy really going to keep checking his cell phone? Surely he will stop once the movie picks up momentum?" Then by mid-way through, I realized he wasn't going to stop, but by then it was almost as if I had tacitly given him permission by not saying anything up to that point, and it would be weird to suddenly talk to him. Also at least two of his friends were also texting so I would have to ask the whole group to stop, and I wasn't feeling particularly testosteroned up. So I got into the habit of holding my hand next to my eye to block out the light of the cell phone. Yeah, totally wimped out there.

It got me to thinking that maybe I should patent "movie blinkers/blinders" eyewear that blocks out peripheral vision in theaters, sort like the blinders on horses during races. Let me now Google that and let's see if there is already a product on the market.... (GOING TO GOOGLE IT NOW...) Well I typed in several variations on "movie cell phone blinders" or "movie cellphone peripheral vision" and nothing came up. So there probably isn't really a market for such things. Maybe I should set up a Kickstarter business to produce and sell these things as specialty items for cinephiles. Who's with me?!

I watched it today as well, and thought it was great. Really looking forward to seeing this Spider-Man in his solo movie.

Agreed!

I know some of my comic friends that are 28+ are kinda complaining he is too young, but I think that is the right play. My generation got Tobey/Garfield and I would say 3 really good Spider-man movies mixed with 2 terrible ones.

Let the younger kids relate more to this real life teenager as Spider-man, and watch Tom Holland grow into the character.

IMO its the smart move that will keep AF 15's on the rise for years to come.

+1,000,000

The old fogies have to get over this age thing. When we were growing up with Spider-Man he was in high school and college, and not a married man..

Marvel made the right decision with making him younger.

+1,000,000

The old fogies have to get over this age thing. When we were growing up with Spider-Man he was in high school and college, and not a married man..

Marvel made the right decision with making him younger.

I am looking forward to your thread on this one. It's sounding like it is in the Top Three-Five of the overall MCU.

If it even matches The Winter Soldier, I will be all over this.