• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America: Civil War official movie thread (5/6/16)

2,267 posts in this topic

Lower than who's expectations? I suspect Marvel will be happy with the results. Why does everyone think these movies are going to just keep topping each other? That is pretty unheard of with sequels. Domestically, this will probably finish between Winter Soldier and AofU which is a good place to be and makes sense since this is an Avengers movie with a Captain America title.

Man, first everyone was hard on BvS for only make $850+ million international and now we are disappointed with a $180 million open. Both numbers are incredible for these movies and means we will continue to see more superhero movies in the future.

Easy, War Chief. Slide the long knives back into their carriers.

Those estimates came from the fun and loving people of Disney.

U8EKJvi.png

Lower than who's expectations? I suspect Marvel will be happy with the results. Why does everyone think these movies are going to just keep topping each other? That is pretty unheard of with sequels. Domestically, this will probably finish between Winter Soldier and AofU which is a good place to be and makes sense since this is an Avengers movie with a Captain America title.

Man, first everyone was hard on BvS for only make $850+ million international and now we are disappointed with a $180 million open. Both numbers are incredible for these movies and means we will continue to see more superhero movies in the future.

U8EKJvi.png

nah, he's right. Nobody in any industry ever tries to compare budgets and expectations with actuals. As long as ANY AMOUNT of profit is made, they treat everything exactly the same. No other decisions to be made or issues to think about.

It means exactly the same thing for a $20M movie to make $100M as a $250M to make $400M, because if there's one thing that rich investors are indifferent towards, its investing more for a lower return on investment. They simply don't care at all. "Ambivalence," as the youngsters say.

nah, he's right. Nobody in any industry ever tries to compare budgets and expectations with actuals. As long as ANY AMOUNT of profit is made, they treat everything exactly the same. No other decisions to be made or issues to think about.

It means exactly the same thing for a $20M movie to make $100M as a $250M to make $400M, because if there's one thing that rich investors are indifferent towards, its investing more for a lower return on investment. They simply don't care at all. "Ambivalence," as the youngsters say.

The point is Disney is the one that stated in advance how much it was going to make for the opening weekend, like Babe Ruth pointing to the outfield.

NgqWD3D.jpg

Captain America: Civil War Opening Box Office Revised Slightly Downward

The opening weekend for Captain America: Civil War was good enough for the fifth best all-time in North America, but was slightly less than Disney's weekend projections. After a Sunday that saw more family-oriented film going than expected, likely due to it also being Mother's Day, the totals for Civil War dipped slightly from $181.8 million estimates to $178 million actuals.

The numbers are still incredible. But the estimate was even more aggressive.

The point is Disney is the one that stated in advance how much it was going to make for the opening weekend, like Babe Ruth pointing to the outfield.

NgqWD3D.jpg

Captain America: Civil War Opening Box Office Revised Slightly Downward

The opening weekend for Captain America: Civil War was good enough for the fifth best all-time in North America, but was slightly less than Disney's weekend projections. After a Sunday that saw more family-oriented film going than expected, likely due to it also being Mother's Day, the totals for Civil War dipped slightly from $181.8 million estimates to $178 million actuals.

The numbers are still incredible. But the estimate was even more aggressive.

= Worldwide: $673,139,142 and a whole bunch of overseas markets have not been counted since the 5th of may..... looks like its on track!!! This has been released for 3.5 days in the USA..... 2 more months to go? lol

= Worldwide: $673,139,142 and a whole bunch of overseas markets have not been counted since the 5th of may..... looks like its on track!!! This has been released for 3.5 days in the USA..... 2 more months to go? lol

Very true. Why, Switzerland has been holding out since 5/1. Probably keeping those numbers with all that hidden money.

And the Philippines. Well, you know how they are with releasing numbers.

(:

Wouldn`t it be shocking that after all the critic`s hype that Civil War doesn`t beat BvS at the worldwide box office?

Yikes!

:fear:

Wouldn`t it be shocking that after all the critic`s hype that Civil War doesn`t beat BvS at the worldwide box office?

Yikes!

:fear:

Seriously ???

By next week they'll pass BvS Internationally for sure. Probably closer to 1 billion.

China brought in 95.6 million on opening weekend alone.

U8EKJvi.png

Well, you should have said that in the first place. :foryou:

anyone seen it more than two times?

4 times so far...twice on Thursday, once on Friday and first thing Saturday morning before FCBD festivities. Have plans on Wednesday with my youngest daughter before we leave for Motor City on Thursday morning.

Jim

Peter Parker graduated from high school in issue 30 or 40 something, correct? He graduated from college in issue #185. For the vast majority of the comics Peter Parker would not have been in high school or college. Except the deal with Mephisto did de-age him, so maybe he is back in high school again.

ASM 28. The issue with the all-black Molten Man cover

I wonder if there is a bit of super-hero movie fatigue going on here with four films (DP, BvS, CW, Apocalypse) being released in relatively close timing to one another? I know that my kid are not clamoring for Civil War like they did for AoU last year, but I guess that could be due to the duds that AoU and Ant-Man were as well. However, they are stoked to see X-Men Apocalypse so that is interesting.

Civil War may also have trouble as most of the reviews I am hearing from friends are similar to what they said re: Star Wars TFA - good, but not great. lol

I wonder if there is a bit of super-hero movie fatigue going on here with four films (DP, BvS, CW, Apocalypse) being released in relatively close timing to one another? I know that my kid are not clamoring for Civil War like they did for AoU last year, but I guess that could be due to the duds that AoU and Ant-Man were as well. However, they are stoked to see X-Men Apocalypse so that is interesting.

Civil War may also have trouble as most of the reviews I am hearing from friends are similar to what they said re: Star Wars TFA - good, but not great. lol

Ant Man was anything but a dud.

It's funny to me in reading some of the comments here that y'all are so de-sensitized in this-zombie-laden-world with "somebody's gotta die". There was so much anguish bestowed on many different characters throughout the movie who had lost someone that they loved. Besides anguish, there was loyalty, guilt, vengeance, pride, betrayal and a whole slew of other raw emotions driving the plot. Politics ruining a good thing is another prevailing theme. One hero is paralyzed, another is put on ice.

I'm happier than a puppy with two tails! But I can't help but feel sorry for those of you who are unappreciative of what we're being given. Smell the roses, people!

This movie is what I've been dreaming of for forty years. I will gladly keep going back to the spinner rack for this brand of entertainment. If you don't want to that's fine, more for me; less quarters in my pocket. Not every plot element is perfectly scripted, nor is every panel shiny and grandiose. These characters rock, and what we're witnessing here is an entertainment dynasty on display in a 'new' medium to the whole world that some of us have enjoyed for a very long time already.