• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America: Civil War official movie thread (5/6/16)

2,267 posts in this topic

Talking about the "disappointing" box office, while it may have come in a little bit short of expectations, I expect Civil War will have tremendous legs. Super high Cinemascore rating + high Rotten Tomatoes rating = continued great word of mouth.

BvS opened huge due to the love and recognition of the characters, and then dropped off quickly due to poisonous reviews and WOM. People love Civil War. It's going to roll for a while, and I expect the final gross will hold up against the likes of AOU (which was itself a highly anticipated, but not universally beloved. Pretty sure Civil War has much more positive buzz going for it.)

Cap = The Rockettes

Supe BvS = Dorf on Golf

Civil War made $13.36 million (1st Monday) & BvS made $15million (1st Monday & Easter day bump).

Civil War will gross over 1 Billion WW, BvS is finished in the BO.

Civil War will gross over $400 million domestic ($179 OW x 2.23)

X-Men:A, receiving mixed reviews 47% RT

Ideal Box Office situation for Civil War.

Talking about the "disappointing" box office, while it may have come in a little bit short of expectations, I expect Civil War will have tremendous legs. Super high Cinemascore rating + high Rotten Tomatoes rating = continued great word of mouth.

BvS opened huge due to the love and recognition of the characters, and then dropped off quickly due to poisonous reviews and WOM. People love Civil War. It's going to roll for a while, and I expect the final gross will hold up against the likes of AOU (which was itself a highly anticipated, but not universally beloved. Pretty sure Civil War has much more positive buzz going for it.)

Cap = The Rockettes

Supe BvS = Dorf on Golf

:applause:

On the flip side, once X-Men Apocalypse hits there will be another superhero movie to go against it. I think that the issue going forward for the studios will be too many super-hero/toy/blockbuster movies coming out sequentially that kills the long term returns. Once the X-Men movie hits in two or so weeks Civil War will be an afterthought.

BvS and even Deadpool, to a certain extent, both benefited from longer run times due to the lack of competition. Civil War has X-Men and then TMNT to draw comic fan $$$ from it in short order. Looking at the release dates, Suicide Squad and Dr. Strange likely have the best timing for comic movies this year with little to no competition August and November respectively. Granted, those are not great times for big returns, but the lack of competition will help.

I expect that if Civil War does not hit AoU numbers, and then X-Men fails to reach DoFP levels, that the studios will think twice about their scheduling and look to space them out a bit more.

That`s what I am thinking.

Sure Civil War will beat BvS at the worldwide box office,but it`s going to be a lot closer than people think,especially domestically.

In two weeks we will have moved on from Civil War,and will be talking about X-Men, at least with BvS we have talked about it for over a month!

I can certainly see this argument being correct, but my gut tells me that X-Men:Apocalypse is going to be a bomb. I think Civil War is gonna keep on truckin'! (Could very likely be wrong though!)

Yay hd pirated version! Yay

(thumbs u

I will never discount the ability to pause a movie to go pee.

I saw this in the theater and was "holding it" since before the airport scene.

Theaters really should bring back Intermissions.

(thumbs u

Here's the key.

1. Pee right before the movie starts.

2. Do not drink anything in the first half of the movie.

3. after about halfway through the movie, pull some ice cold beverages out of the little cooler bag you put in your wife's/gf's purse. (preferably a bottle or can that opens loudly, so others KNOW you brought in something better and cheaper than whatever they're drinking. I suggest either Mexican Coke or beer.

4. Pee after the movie.

(thumbs u

Here's the key.

3. after about halfway through the movie, pull some ice cold beverages out of the little cooler bag you put in your wife's/gf's purse. (preferably a bottle or can that opens loudly, so others KNOW you brought in something better and cheaper than whatever they're drinking. I suggest either Mexican Coke or beer.

4. Pee after the movie.

Or just wear horse diapers...

It's funny to me in reading some of the comments here that y'all are so de-sensitized in this-zombie-laden-world with "somebody's gotta die". There was so much anguish bestowed on many different characters throughout the movie who had lost someone that they loved. Besides anguish, there was loyalty, guilt, vengeance, pride, betrayal and a whole slew of other raw emotions driving the plot. Politics ruining a good thing is another prevailing theme. One hero is paralyzed, another is put on ice.

I'm happier than a puppy with two tails! But I can't help but feel sorry for those of you who are unappreciative of what we're being given. Smell the roses, people!

This movie is what I've been dreaming of for forty years. I will gladly keep going back to the spinner rack for this brand of entertainment. If you don't want to that's fine, more for me; less quarters in my pocket. Not every plot element is perfectly scripted, nor is every panel shiny and grandiose. These characters rock, and what we're witnessing here is an entertainment dynasty on display in a 'new' medium to the whole world that some of us have enjoyed for a very long time already.

(thumbs u

lol

(thumbs u

Here's the key.

4. Pee after the movie.

Need to get with the times - there's a reason those large cups can hold like a 2 liter of soda. Good enough for at least 2 bathroom trips.

(thumbs u

Here's the key.

4. Pee after the movie.

Need to get with the times - there's a reason those large cups can hold like a 2 liter of soda. Good enough for at least 2 bathroom trips.

:sick:

(thumbs u

Here's the key.

4. Pee after the movie.

That's all fine and dandy... Until you miss. :o Great way to make a new friend one seat down!

have not gone to see the movie yet but I wanted to check...

Do Iron Man and Captain America's moms have the same name?

*ducks and runs*

:roflmao:

No, but Zemo is challenged to a dance off at the end of the movie!

Sorry if I spoiled that for anyone.

On the flip side, once X-Men Apocalypse hits there will be another superhero movie to go against it. I think that the issue going forward for the studios will be too many super-hero/toy/blockbuster movies coming out sequentially that kills the long term returns. Once the X-Men movie hits in two or so weeks Civil War will be an afterthought.

BvS and even Deadpool, to a certain extent, both benefited from longer run times due to the lack of competition. Civil War has X-Men and then TMNT to draw comic fan $$$ from it in short order. Looking at the release dates, Suicide Squad and Dr. Strange likely have the best timing for comic movies this year with little to no competition August and November respectively. Granted, those are not great times for big returns, but the lack of competition will help.

I expect that if Civil War does not hit AoU numbers, and then X-Men fails to reach DoFP levels, that the studios will think twice about their scheduling and look to space them out a bit more.

Sure Civil War will beat BvS at the worldwide box office,but it`s going to be a lot closer than people think,especially domestically.

In two weeks we will have moved on from Civil War,and will be talking about X-Men, at least with BvS we have talked about it for over a month!

I can certainly see this argument being correct, but my gut tells me that X-Men:Apocalypse is going to be a bomb. I think Civil War is gonna keep on truckin'! (Could very likely be wrong though!)

Domestically, Civil War's final is going to fall between Winter Soldier and AoU.

I can't help but feel sorry for those of you who are unappreciative of what we're being given. Smell the roses, people!

This movie is what I've been dreaming of for forty years. I will gladly keep going back to the spinner rack for this brand of entertainment. If you don't want to that's fine, more for me; less quarters in my pocket. Not every plot element is perfectly scripted, nor is every panel shiny and grandiose. These characters rock, and what we're witnessing here is an entertainment dynasty on display in a 'new' medium to the whole world that some of us have enjoyed for a very long time already.

+1,000.

Yep. Same boat here. I just re-watched The Avengers last night with my daughter. Still great. A comic book come to life. Everything you could've hoped for as a young comic nerd.

I still think that original Avengers is one of the best superhero movies.

Agreed.

If someone told me in 2008 -- right before Iron Man was released -- that most of the key characters (excluding FF, of course) from the Marvel Silver Age would, over an 8-year period, not only come to life on the big screen or TV, but be portrayed in a manner that nails the spirit of the original source material, I wouldn't believe it. In 2007, we were dealing with disappointing Superman, X-Men and FF movies. Look at where we are today. :banana:

I can't help but feel sorry for those of you who are unappreciative of what we're being given. Smell the roses, people!

+1,000.

Yep. Same boat here. I just re-watched The Avengers last night with my daughter. Still great. A comic book come to life. Everything you could've hoped for as a young comic nerd.

I still think that original Avengers is one of the best superhero movies.

Agreed.

If someone told me in 2008 -- right before Iron Man was released -- that most of the key characters (excluding FF, of course) from the Marvel Silver Age would, over an 8-year period, not only come to life on the big screen or TV, but be portrayed in a manner that nails the spirit of the original source material, I wouldn't believe it. In 2007, we were dealing with disappointing Superman, X-Men and FF movies. Look at where we are today. :banana:

Interestingly, based on domestic box office numbers, Avengers is also the highest grossing superhero movie by far. No movie has even come close to it. It does make one wonder if that will continue to be the case as it does appear Marvel and DC are seeing diminishing returns from these movies, domestically.

Thank goodness for the international market.

Domestically, Civil War's final is going to fall between Winter Soldier and AoU.

Yes, but more likely between IM 3 & AoU. It brought in an estimate 13.36 million yesterday, more than IM 3 & AoU did on their 1st Monday. I think it will bring in between $425 - $450 million domestically. CW 92% seems to be getting similar audience reviews to The Avengers 91% than IM 3 79% & AoU 84% at rottentomatoes. Just because it didn't pass AoU opening weekend, doesn't mean it won't be stronger than AoU in the weeks to come. Only time will tell.