• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America: Civil War official movie thread (5/6/16)

2,267 posts in this topic

I think the action was way more than decent in this one and the jokes were often very funny -- it's not all smart-aleck humor. The shot of Falcon and Bucky after Cap kisses Sharon Carter was priceless!

If there's anything great about the movie (and I agree that it has flaws), it's the airport scene, the balancing act of so many characters, and the strong use of humor to counterpoint the heavy overall tone.

Oh I agree... I just don't see it as one of the best superhero movies ever made. All of that stuff saves it and makes it an enjoyable movie, good entertainment.

I just don't think you can have a great superhero movie with a lame villain.

I disagree that Zemo was a lame villain - his reasons and motivations made more sense than all the other super-hero movie villains put together.

I think the action was way more than decent in this one and the jokes were often very funny -- it's not all smart-aleck humor. The shot of Falcon and Bucky after Cap kisses Sharon Carter was priceless!

If there's anything great about the movie (and I agree that it has flaws), it's the airport scene, the balancing act of so many characters, and the strong use of humor to counterpoint the heavy overall tone.

Oh I agree... I just don't see it as one of the best superhero movies ever made. All of that stuff saves it and makes it an enjoyable movie, good entertainment.

I just don't think you can have a great superhero movie with a lame villain.

I disagree that Zemo was a lame villain - his reasons and motivations made more sense than all the other super-hero movie villains put together.

Loki had the best motives & was the best villain by far. I hope they will do as good a job with Hela & hopefully better with Thanos.

Went and saw it tonight and I thought it was a very enjoyable movie. Not... one of the great superhero movies, but a pretty entertaining movie.

The good: I wanted to be critical of Spider-man, because it's the character most dear to my heart, but they seemed really to nail the spirit of it, and very much look forward to the new movie. I can even overlook Marisa Tomei as a younger Aunt May (dang she is still attractive), because it's just has so much joy to it, and it's FUN.

The Airport fight scene is really the highlight of the movie to me; it's so cool to see all of those heroes together.... such a great scene, it's worth it just for that and Spidey. Black Panther was awesome as well, and it'll be interesting to see how they handle a solo movie with him. I would think we'll see some of the other characters there in his movie, as a way to bring some humor to it, that they use to make their movies more likable.

Really, this movie will probably be loved and remembered for those three things.

I thought it was kinda glum throughout most of the rest of it... it dropped in little nuggets of humor to take your mind off of it, but really it

made Tony Stark seem like a dik, had an extremely lame villain, tied the Winter Soldier into an unfortunate link with Stark, and had no real resolution other than Cap writing Tony a letter. And nothing to really link it to the future....

It's enjoyable for sure. I just didn't understand the 'greatness' that 's been heaped upon it. The only thing I can figure is, that as long as you have smart aleck quips, and some decent action, you'll get positive reviews, with these superhero movies. (shrug)

I think Spider-Man is the big winner in this movie. If you ask anybody they will say they loved the Spider-Man scenes.

I give Black Panther and Winter Soldier the nods for second and third place,but no one will come close to the Spidey in this movie,as being the fan favorite.

Translation is expect another AF#15 bump when the new Spider-Man hits.

Went and saw it tonight and I thought it was a very enjoyable movie. Not... one of the great superhero movies, but a pretty entertaining movie.

The good: I wanted to be critical of Spider-man, because it's the character most dear to my heart, but they seemed really to nail the spirit of it, and very much look forward to the new movie. I can even overlook Marisa Tomei as a younger Aunt May (dang she is still attractive), because it's just has so much joy to it, and it's FUN.

The Airport fight scene is really the highlight of the movie to me; it's so cool to see all of those heroes together.... such a great scene, it's worth it just for that and Spidey. Black Panther was awesome as well, and it'll be interesting to see how they handle a solo movie with him. I would think we'll see some of the other characters there in his movie, as a way to bring some humor to it, that they use to make their movies more likable.

Really, this movie will probably be loved and remembered for those three things.

I thought it was kinda glum throughout most of the rest of it... it dropped in little nuggets of humor to take your mind off of it, but really it

made Tony Stark seem like a dik, had an extremely lame villain, tied the Winter Soldier into an unfortunate link with Stark, and had no real resolution other than Cap writing Tony a letter. And nothing to really link it to the future....

It's enjoyable for sure. I just didn't understand the 'greatness' that 's been heaped upon it. The only thing I can figure is, that as long as you have smart aleck quips, and some decent action, you'll get positive reviews, with these superhero movies. (shrug)

I think Spider-Man is the big winner in this movie. If you ask anybody they will say they loved the Spider-Man scenes.

I give Black Panther and Winter Soldier the nods for second and third place,but no one will come close to the Spidey in this movie,as being the fan favorite.

Translation is expect another AF#15 bump when the new Spider-Man hits.

Not everybody. :sorry: I thought the Spider-Man scenes were shoe horned into this movie just because Marvel could. It did nothing for the story except to ensure team A versus team B were more or less equal. I also had a problem with Bruce Wayne Tony Stark even knowing about Spider-Man in the first place. Does Tony keep track of superheroes in the MCU? Plus, Tony knew he was a kid, new at superhero'ing, and took him into this huge fight. What was the point of the Accords again? To save lives? So let's drag a teenager into a battle. If Peter Parker had died, would Tony have been thrown into prison?

The Black Panther inclusion in this movie worked because his story was intertwined with the events of the movie. The entire airport fight was out of place with the tone of the movie before and afterwards. Serious, wacky battle, and back to serious again. It is obvious this fight was not part of the story and was thrown in because Marvel knew they had to appeal to the kids in the audience.

Overall, it was a good, but flawed movie. You definitely don't want to think about it too much or some of the storyline does not make sense.

Just got done seeing the movie. I thought it was pretty good.

Black Panther points:

1) I didn't really agree with changing the circumstances around T'Chaka, thought if they left it the same, the Black Panther movie, would tie more along with how he became the Black Panther. I guess they had to have some reason T'Challa was after Winter Soldier.

2) In the scene with T'Challa and the Black Widow, was the lady who was confronting Black Widow at the car his sister or Storm? Thinking it was his sister.

3) Looking forward to the Black Panther movie, wonder if they will go more in depth with his origin then leading to what's happening with keeping safe Winter Soldier.

4) Is Black Panther the first character in these movies without his origin being told before being on-screen?

Black Panther points:

2) In the scene with T'Challa and the Black Widow, was the lady who was confronting Black Widow at the car his sister or Storm? Thinking it was his sister.

I believe they have women guards that protect the King in Wakanda. I doubt it was his sister in the familial sense.

4) Is Black Panther the first character in these movies without his origin being told before being on-screen?

I don't believe they've shown Hawkeye's origin on-screen yet.

I guess in regards to in the most likely to have his/her own movie.

Black Panther points:

I believe they have women guards that protect the King in Wakanda. I doubt it was his sister in the familial sense.

That's true, just was thinking that one "guard" with him would be his sister as I was thinking why would they show a confrontation between his "no name" guard and Black Widow AND T'Challa's response to Widow and the "guard" confrontation.

It's as if some people have never read an actual comic book.

The Dora Milaje are the personal bodyguards of the Black Panther, recruited from every tribe of Wakanda.

The Dora Milaje are the personal bodyguards of the Black Panther, recruited from every tribe of Wakanda.

Agreed the Dora Milaje are the personal bodyguards of the Black Panther

I liked how the movie makes Iron Man the antagonist and Zemo kinda a catalyst for final confrontation.

I'll have my Filmigos review up next week. I know you guys are waiting to see what my dog does in my review!

What are these 'comic books' you speak of?

p9sdGEZ.png

They became extinct around about 1988.

ps the G forces involved in going from zero to 200mph in less than one second would rip Ant Man's arms off I'm afraid.