• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America: Civil War official movie thread (5/6/16)

2,267 posts in this topic

While it's outperformed BvS so far, it hasn't (yet) outperformed by a wide margin domestically

Yes it has. in 2 weeks, it has passed what BVS has done in 8 weeks. that's a wide margin.

Exactly, this has been released in the USA for 10.5 days. There is no comparison between the two movies

I was really hoping that Captain America and Iron Man would discover that both of their mother's names are Martha, so the horrible conflict, and unnecessary bloodshed could come to a swift end.

I like that joke when you tell it. The other hundred times it was used by others just didn't feel the same.

TtFJvPH.jpg

:baiting:

rofl..... wow, can't believe civil war is going to lose 500m in its third weekend due to popcorn and jubefruit sales!

While it's outperformed BvS so far, it hasn't (yet) outperformed by a wide margin domestically

Yes it has. in 2 weeks, it has passed what BVS has done in 8 weeks. that's a wide margin.

Exactly, this has been released in the USA for 10.5 days. There is no comparison between the two movies

hm tell me more! interesting! so you're saying civil war is going to do well at the box office are ya? fascinating!!

Captain America: Civil War. What a dud. What a turkey. What an absolute turd of a movie. It's hard to believe people would actually part with their hard earned money to watch this stinker. What a let down.

I cannot believe what the Russo brothers have done to Captain America. His character is so far removed from the Golden Age version it's laughable. His character is more akin to the modern version and that's not what the viewers wanted to see.

Every movie directed by the Russo brothers strays too far from the original blue print. In what sort of messed up dystopian society would we see two former allies going to war with each other? If it had been done properly, Captain America and Iron Man wouldn't be fighting, they would be teaming up to rescue cats from trees.

In a continuation of the general dark theme, Spider-Man looks malnourished. Only a decade ago, Tobey "Beefcake" Maguire's appearance raised the spirit of the audience with each flex of muscle and majestic swing from a skyscraper. This "Spider-Man" just leaves the audience feeling tired and hungry.

Of course, I haven't actually seen the movie, I'm just basing my opinion on a solitary viewing of Captain America: The Winter Soldier - which I absoutely hated - and some negative reviews I found on the internet.

My advice to people who haven't seen it is don't give your money to the Russo brothers. Don't fund their crusade to destroy our Marvel heroes with their dystopian modern vision of the MCU. Wait until it it can be seen for "free" on Netflix (or somesuch) and then wait another couple of weeks just to maintain an air of indifference.

lol

And on this day historians noted 'Merryweather's Disease' spread throughout the world, causing a mass comic movie panic.

The Dissatisfied Distopians.

'We are all infected'

Saw it for the 2nd time last night with the roomie (she's been too busy for the past week and change to catch it) and will be seeing it at least 1 more time with the other roomie sometime this week (that isn't the same night as a Pens game).

It really holds up in 2nd viewing. There were some amazing parts of this movie. I absolutely loved it. Nothing felt tired or overdone. Some of the sets were a little bland (as someone else pointed out) but kinda made for great open space to punch each other in the face.

The staircase fight scene is still excellent. And the story was incredible.

Plus, the theater was about 50% full still for an 8:30 sunday night showing. So not too bad.

Finally saw this. Totally loved it. One of the best comic book movies I've seen.

The airport fight scene was incredible. It felt like a comic.

I love the new Spider-Man as well. So far so good. Looking forward to more.

In a continuation of the general dark theme, Spider-Man looks malnourished. Only a decade ago, Tobey "Beefcake" Maguire's appearance raised the spirit of the audience with each flex of muscle and majestic swing from a skyscraper. This "Spider-Man" just leaves the audience feeling tired and hungry.

McFarlane introduced this aesthetic to Spidey, and I prefer it. An integral part of Spidey's appeal has always been that his powers let him overcome his limitations, so making him a little guy just adds to that same appeal. His portrayal in this film was also heavily influenced by McFarlane putting him into some of the most extreme body positions imaginable to exaggerate his great flexibility and agility. Bagley made him even smaller in Ultimate Spider-Man. You're free to hate it, but that's how he's mostly been portrayed for over a decade now in the comics.

The Raimi films largely went with the more naturalistic Romita style, whereas this film--and the two Sony reboots somewhat--went with the more modern look for Spidey. I like both but have a slight preference for the McFarlane look. Interestingly the Civil War costume itself was far more Romita than the Raimi version, but Spidey's body size and positioning was more McFarlane and Bagley.

todd-mcfarlane-spider-man.jpg44574-7257-51620-1-ultimate-spider-man.jpg

Captain America: Civil War. What a dud. What a turkey. What an absolute turd of a movie. It's hard to believe people would actually part with their hard earned money to watch this stinker. What a let down.

I cannot believe what the Russo brothers have done to Captain America. His character is so far removed from the Golden Age version it's laughable. His character is more akin to the modern version and that's not what the viewers wanted to see.

Every movie directed by the Russo brothers strays too far from the original blue print. In what sort of messed up dystopian society would we see two former allies going to war with each other? If it had been done properly, Captain America and Iron Man wouldn't be fighting, they would be teaming up to rescue cats from trees.

Of course, I haven't actually seen the movie, I'm just basing my opinion on a solitary viewing of Captain America: The Winter Soldier - which I absoutely hated - and some negative reviews I found on the internet.

My advice to people who haven't seen it is don't give your money to the Russo brothers. Don't fund their crusade to destroy our Marvel heroes with their dystopian modern vision of the MCU. Wait until it it can be seen for "free" on Netflix (or somesuch) and then wait another couple of weeks just to maintain an air of indifference.

Yeah they should have stuck to the Golden Age Cap where he was a goofus always getting in trouble with his sergeant and peeling potatoes and having idiotic battles. That would have been much better.

'Not what viewers want to see'? Uh-have ya checked rotten tomatoes? Apparently it's exactly what they want to see. Yeah you speak for all viewers. Nope.

Beefcake Toby Maguire? wtf-uh-those Spider Man shots were CGI-there is hardly anything muscular about Maguire.

So, you think the Supergirl TV show is great, Civil War sucks.

Sounds legit.

Hey does the Supergirl TV show follow the original Supergirl? Cause she seems to follow the 'modern version' which you seem to hate I thought.

Keep reviewing movies you haven't seen though I guess.

Finally saw it last night. It was really good. Great balance of action, plot development and introducing new characters. I was worried I was not going to like Spiderman from the previews because he would be too childish, but it struck the right balance.

I still think I like Winter Soldier a little more, but it can be argued that the Captain America trilogy may be the best trilogy of all super hero movies (yes, I know that puts it above some other really good trilogies)

I still think I like Winter Soldier a little more, but it can be argued that the Captain America trilogy may be the best trilogy of all super hero movies (yes, I know that puts it above some other really good trilogies)

It's giving Nolan's Batman a run, but it's not at that level.

Yeah they should have stuck to the Golden Age Cap where he was a goofus always getting in trouble with his sergeant and peeling potatoes and having idiotic battles. That would have been much better.

'Not what viewers want to see'? Uh-have ya checked rotten tomatoes? Apparently it's exactly what they want to see. Yeah you speak for all viewers. Nope.

Beefcake Toby Maguire? wtf-uh-those Spider Man shots were CGI-there is hardly anything muscular about Maguire.

So, you think the Supergirl TV show is great, Civil War sucks.

Sounds legit.

Hey does the Supergirl TV show follow the original Supergirl? Cause she seems to follow the 'modern version' which you seem to hate I thought.

Keep reviewing movies you haven't seen though I guess.

McFarlane introduced this aesthetic to Spidey, and I prefer it. An integral part of Spidey's appeal has always been that his powers let him overcome his limitations, so making him a little guy just adds to that same appeal. His portrayal in this film was also heavily influenced by McFarlane putting him into some of the most extreme body positions imaginable to exaggerate his great flexibility and agility. Bagley made him even smaller in Ultimate Spider-Man. You're free to hate it, but that's how he's mostly been portrayed for over a decade now in the comics.

The Raimi films largely went with the more naturalistic Romita style, whereas this film--and the two Sony reboots somewhat--went with the more modern look for Spidey. I like both but have a slight preference for the McFarlane look. Interestingly the Civil War costume itself was far more Romita than the Raimi version, but Spidey's body size and positioning was more McFarlane and Bagley.

My post was a parody.

WHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH TIME I SPENT COMPOSTING THAT MASTERPIECE??????????????

That would be one of the top competitors, but I found the third movie of that trilogy so disappointing that I think there is room for the conversation.

In the end it does come down to personal preference

That would be one of the top competitors, but I found the third movie of that trilogy so disappointing that I think there is room for the conversation.

IMO, Batman Begins exceeds the entertainment value of Captain America: The First Avenger.

IMO, Batman Begins exceeds the entertainment value of Captain America: The First Avenger.

I agree 100%. Batman Begins is amazing. However, after that, I think that Captain America beats the other two Batman films.

Therefor, in my opinion, the score is 2-1 Cap.

I am also not saying the Batman movies suck, but rather if I had a choice, I would watch Winter Soldier over The Dark Knight and Civil War over The Dark Knight Rises.

I'm not gonna say anything bad about the Batman movies-a lotta people like em. I just don't get it but some people like Wayne Boring too.

Batman Begins > First Avenger

Dark Knight > Winter Soldier (and every other superhero film)

Civil War > Dark Knight Rises