• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what do you think about cream off white pages

64 posts in this topic

Pay less...not likely, but expect to pay more on the "keys" that have OW/W or better pq. Data is very limited and doesn't always support it but like always eye appeal etc always play a role.

If you have 2 books and 1 has cr/ow pages and the other has white...which one will everyone buy? Just like sports betting the scales must tip to encourage others to take the other team (ie the price will move on one of them).

The bigger, more expensive, hotter and/or the rarer the key, the less it seems to matter. Books with "CR/OW" pages on the label set GPA highs all the time. The biggest and far more consistent detractor is marvel chipping. Move over to the golden age and big books with "brittle pages" set new GPA highs all the time as well. (thumbs u

-J.

A few collectors I know just don't like the word "cream." I also dislike the word as a description for page quality.- reminds me of coffee. I'd prefer it if CGC would just refer to this page quality as "off-off white - off-white."

I have owned and de-slabbed books w OW pq only to find tan on interior FC or BC. I have also had books appear nicer PQ than was was notated. I conclude you only take PQ designation at face value w prof grading. Just buy the label and best presentation of the "slabbed" prospects your after. It is like a job interview, dont give them a reason not to pick you if you can help it. Although I wouldnt pass a good deal on a Crm PQ either. If your "investing", it only takes 1 buyer at a fair price.

If it's an old label book, then C-OW doesn't bother me at all, since it would probably regrade as OW or higher.

C-OW in a new label books bothers me, but if it's for a 9.4 or higher pre-1964 SA DC and there are no other copies in that grade or better available, what can you do? It's not a SA Marvel book where there are dozens of other copies in that grade available.

I spit on SA CR/OW books, I will not go near them. Even OW is a stretch for me. Before CGC existed I only bought books with nice pages. To me, it's the best indicator of preservation. It is also one of the few things that cannot be manipulated or manufactured.

I spit on SA CR/OW books, I will not go near them. Even OW is a stretch for me. Before CGC existed I only bought books with nice pages. To me, it's the best indicator of preservation. It is also one of the few things that cannot be manipulated or manufactured.

Except that CGC page colour notation is not every consistent. So I put very little weight on it.

If I'm buying a slabbed book that I plan on leaving in its slab, like ASM 1-10, FF 1-13, Hulk 1-6, etc., I like to buy only off white or better.

If I have a raw 6.0 TOS 55 or something like that and the pages are cow, it doesn't bother me that much.

FWIW, I'll take Marvel chipping over creamy pages if at all possible.

I'll agree that sometimes PQ designations can seem inconsistent, but I understand that they base the designation on how "white" the stock of paper used originally is. At least that's the way I understand it....could be wrong.

Realistically you shouldn't pay more or less for page designation in Silver age books or newer (with the exception of Brittle - which is your choice). Data would denote that PQ is both inconsistent and unreliable (meaning grading resubs and experience has shown that PQ designations change frequently - sometimes jumping from CREAM to OFF-WHITE up to OFF-WHITE to WHITE or better - or worse, vice versa). I can understand why people would want nice PQ, but I definitely would not pay more for it except in extreme circumstances.

Gold age books or older though are a whole different story. Many times you take what you can get!

Modern books with anything less than WHITE pages confuse me because the pages are made out of a different material. Short of staining, it shouldn't be possible to get less than WHITE... (shrug)

The thing I always keep in mind that many dealers/sellers that are trying to get you to pay as much for a book as possible. Meaning in many cases they charge more for WHITE or OFF-WHITE to WHITE pages, but they are also very unlikely to give you a discount for CREAM or CREAM to OFF-WHITE pages... This is just another way to inflate/deflate pricing arbitrarily and is about as helpful as trying to compare one person's perspective of "eye appeal" versus someone else's.

(DISCLAIMER - not all dealers are crooks, just most of them :insane: )

That being said, people pay what they want for a book. So in the end, do whatever feels right to you!

If it's an old label book, then C-OW doesn't bother me at all, since it would probably regrade as OW or higher.

C-OW in a new label books bothers me, but if it's for a 9.4 or higher pre-1964 SA DC and there are no other copies in that grade or better available, what can you do? It's not a SA Marvel book where there are dozens of other copies in that grade available.

we're on the same wavelength here