• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

comic shredding for charity

38 posts in this topic

What a terrible idea. Destruction of limited existing objects is incredibly stupid and you know who would enjoy those books more than a paper shredder? The kids the charity is for.

:golfclap:

+1 >>> Shades of the 1950's comic purges. What's next, bon-fires? Dozering funny books into land-fills? meh

Obviously the shredding idea is a few comics shy of a full spinner rack. I wouldn't be surprised if this offends many of the collectors Mammoth Comics is soliciting for donations. Even if it turns out they're not serious, it's never a good idea using threats of damage to extort money for a charitable cause. My 2c

If this goes down badly ...and I suspect it will... the new fan tag-line for Tulsa's Wizard World might end up being Tulsa's Wertham World.

Hint: YouTubed footage of the actual event might serve as a useful teaching tool for the sponsoring comic shop. :blush:

You guys are all taking this way too seriously.

The threat of the auction books being shredded is just a gimmick. The dollar books that are just for shredding are no doubt UHG GA keys and not Youngblood 1s. meh

The threat of the auction books being shredded is just a gimmick. The dollar books that are just for shredding are no doubt UHG GA keys and not Youngblood 1s. meh

You're probably right, and gimmick was my first thought, but the idea of threatening to destroy comics ...any comics... as a means of raising money for a children's charity is in poor taste.

IMO, a better promotion would've been to donate un-purchased books to the kids instead of shredding, but that probably wouldn't have resulted in the kind of attention the comic shop owner(s) wanted. hm

Outrage gets the attention, that's part of contemporary culture.

You're probably right, and gimmick was my first thought, but the idea of threatening to destroy comics ...any comics... as a means of raising money for a children's charity is in poor taste.

IMO, a better promotion would've been to donate un-purchased books to the kids instead of shredding, but that probably wouldn't have resulted in the kind of attention the comic shop owner(s) wanted. hm

Outrage gets the attention, that's part of contemporary culture.

^^^ this ^^^