• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

comic shredding for charity

38 posts in this topic

They won't shred an Iron Man 1 or a Conan 1. There are certainly comics that I would shred without a second thought. We just threw away ~10,000+ trades - that was after offering as many copies to anyone for free (some including on this board). We donated as many units as to schools, charities, etc that they wanted. At some level, these are not worth storing. The "moral" outrage is a little out of place for crappy 1990s comics. This is not wertham, seems a big stretch to bring his name into this.

You guys are all taking this way too seriously.

The threat of the auction books being shredded is just a gimmick. The dollar books that are just for shredding are no doubt UHG GA keys and not Youngblood 1s. meh

Indeed. much ado about nothing. Always amazes me how collectors react as if a one of a kind item is being destroyed.

The threat of the auction books being shredded is just a gimmick. The dollar books that are just for shredding are no doubt UHG GA keys and not Youngblood 1s. meh

Indeed. much ado about nothing. Always amazes me how collectors react as if a one of a kind item is being destroyed.

It's not the act, but the threat of destroying comics in support of an autistic children's charity that I find disturbing. The value of the books is a separate issue.

That said, the promotion clearly states the destruction of collectible comics as a real possibility. One would assume that most comic fans don't view desirable comics as disposable trash. (shrug)

Maybe it's just me, but perhaps collectors should take gimmicks like this a little more seriously. hm

You're probably right, and gimmick was my first thought, but the idea of threatening to destroy comics ...any comics... as a means of raising money for a children's charity is in poor taste.

Agreed. No matter what the book, destroying it just seems wrong. Ted of Superworld Comics has some videos where they paint-ball some books that just never sell, and while I like him from the interactions we have had, this really bothers me.

I wonder how many they will shred? I really don't care about the drek.

Drek is in the eye of the beholder, and doesn't always remain drek. I've got books in my possession that were only purchased because the seller insisted on selling all his books, which were basically given away, which now sell for decent money. I gave away one of these bronze age books 20-some years ago because it was worthless, for which there is recent sale on Heritage of a graded 9.6 for over $600.

It's not the act, but the threat of destroying comics in support of an autistic children's charity that I find disturbing.

There is no threat. There is an offer. Pay them a buck and they will shred some comics. Sounds cool to me. There are a bunch of comics in my back room that I have considered shredding. We usually just give 'em away but there are a bunch that nobody, and I mean nobody, wants.

It's not the act, but the threat of destroying comics in support of an autistic children's charity that I find disturbing.

There is no threat. There is an offer. Pay them a buck and they will shred some comics. Sounds cool to me.

That's just the opposite of what's stated in the link:

[font:Times New Roman]"We will be at Wizard World each day and we are going to shred comics. Even collectible ones. All in the name of raising funds for the Autism Center of Tulsa.

Every hour throughout the three-day event, one valuable comic will be held hostage (put up for auction). If the ransom (reserve bid) is met, the comic lives to see another day, and the winning bidder takes home a great collector's item. If not, the comic faces the shredder!" [/font]

Of course, the store's actual intentions may not be reflected in promotional hyperbole. (shrug)

There are a bunch of comics in my back room that I have considered shredding. We usually just give 'em away but there are a bunch that nobody, and I mean nobody, wants.

Half-Price Books used to pay for all sorts of magazines (incl. comics) in bulk. Of course, that may not be the case anymore.

It's hard to imagine comics so disliked that charities such as Goodwill won't accept 'em. Has that been your experience? hm

shred the Kuran under the guise of breast cancer awareness

people/media will go batchiyt crazy about it.

Well let's just go for broke on locking up this thread...how about this? We get Rob Leifeld to draw Mohammed's feet on a Kuran and then shred it?