The Journal of Brandon Shepherd
4 4

569 posts in this topic

Brando-   
  • 2,437 posts
  • Kudos Thread

I'll try a different approach.

I have noticed a few ongoing and long running journal series from a few members that have had continuous updates from their authors about their collecting experiences.

I've always aimed to keep my journal entries focused and essay like, with many of my single entries being composed over several days before posting. If 2013 was my year for journals, 2014 has been my year for branching out into the boards.

I've read entries from the journals of Doc Joe, Ditch Fahrenheit, n2wdw, AJD, newshane and Hibou. They have inspired me to start my own continual journal. With this I can be random, go in any direction I want. We'll see how this works out.

Brandon

See more journals by Brandon Shepherd

Brando-   
  • 2,437 posts
  • Kudos Thread

For my first entry, all I'll say is that I have been interested in Bronze Horror comics lately, particularly from DC. The Infinite Bronze Horror Thread is a great place to learn about these books. For the last two years in the month of October, I have posted a Halloween Comic Book Cover of the Day on my Facebook page. I got a lot of likes and most of these covers were from House of Mystery, House of Secrets and Unexpected, there were a few Marvel covers here and there. So far, I only have two horror comics.

10687858_752169265421_2328878489659861026_o_zps30ea263d.jpg

Ditch Fahrenheit   
  • Member: Seasoned Veteran
  • 17,185 posts
I've read entries from the journals of Doc Joe, Ditch Fahrenheit, n2wdw, AJD, newshane and Hibou.

I sincerely apologize. :cry:

Welcome aboard! I'll be reading. :)

Brando-   
  • 2,437 posts
  • Kudos Thread
Those are a good start :)

Thanks! I've never been much for slasher horror films but I remember Tales From The Crypt on HBO. I like this type of horror, dealing with poetic justice and how everyone gets what's coming to them in the end.

Brando-   
  • 2,437 posts
  • Kudos Thread
I've read entries from the journals of Doc Joe, Ditch Fahrenheit, n2wdw, AJD, newshane and Hibou.

Thanks and apology accepted. ;)

steveinthecity   
  • 4,890 posts
I would start a journal, but no one wants to read my blatherings...

:whee:

Say what!? :insane:

No kidding. I'd believe RMA would quickly find his journal to be incredibly popular.

SW3D   
  • 1,424 posts

Although I rarely buy horror comics, I must say that the cover artwork to horror themed comics are often works of art, albeit bizarre and macabre ones.

This is true for the EC line of horror comics, the Warren magazine publications, and DC's line from the Bronze Age; I'm sure there are plenty of others I'm not aware of.

I can't wait to read more of your ongoing journal.

All the best,

SW3D

Park   
  • 9,375 posts

lol

Hi Brandon.

Park   
  • 9,375 posts
I would start a journal, but no one wants to read my blatherings...

:whee:

Agreed.

I really agree.

Totally.

Where am I?

Brando-   
  • 2,437 posts
  • Kudos Thread

lol

Hi Brandon.

Hi Park.

Brando-   
  • 2,437 posts
  • Kudos Thread
Although I rarely buy horror comics, I must say that the cover artwork to horror themed comics are often works of art, albeit bizarre and macabre ones.

This is true for the EC line of horror comics, the Warren magazine publications, and DC's line from the Bronze Age; I'm sure there are plenty of others I'm not aware of.

I can't wait to read more of your ongoing journal.

All the best,

SW3D

Thanks SW3D!

Speaking of horror comics, I would like to have a nice raw copy of this beauty someday soon.

House of Mystery #207 (Oct 1972) from non other than Mr. Bernie Wrightson!

HouseofMystery207_zps1c6aa612.jpg

Speaking of Bernie, I pulled this from a box of books the other day, I completely forgot that he did the illustrations!

220px-1985cyclewerewolf.gif

tumblr_mrjhyxtzdl1qi5cmlo1_500.jpg

tumblr_mxxm2j6HHd1rhjbado1_500.jpg

I have only read a few works from Steven King, I like how many of his characters in his early works try to go back to a small town to deal with their inner demons. The protagonist either grew up in that small New England town and is not accepted because he left, or he is new to the town and considered an outsider, either way, the main character never really fits in their surroundings. In dealing with the inner demons, the main character finds that he must deal with the town's outer demons, as in Salem's Lot. I was an English and Psychology major in college, so I don't mind dissecting literature. This, and Tales From The Crypt are my kind of horror!

The Mekon   
  • 7,877 posts

I'm really going to enjoy the new format Brandon. Those 70's DC Horror books are so addictive and that HoM 207 is such a grear cover.

Thanks for the flashback on the Cycle of the Werewolf...

I totally forgot about that one!

SW3D   
  • 1,424 posts

Bernie Wrightson is an undisputed Master of the Macabre! Who doesn't love his works? But I must say, BW rarely does the superhero stuff... and I hate to say it... that's good thing since his style is best suited for horror, weird, fantasy, Sci-fi, and Adventure.

Like Hibou, I also want to thank you for posting his work from SK's COTWW. I remember when the 1st print came out, it became an instant collectible and commanded very high prices. If I remember correctly, either Forbidden Planet , Little Nemo's, Continental Comics, Mile High, or some other comic store had a copy priced at $300 (and this is back in the 80's!). I missed out at getting the first print. And I could have very easily bought one from B&N or Walden Book Stores... but I didn't. Oh well.

I have some nice raw copies of BW's work in Pacific Coast horror title Twisted Tales, and of course my favorite: Swamp Thing. What he did for ST few could do! I also love his Spawn of Frankenstein which originally appeared as a back-up feature to Phantom Stranger's 2nd volume. Gotta love DC's 70's horror and occult line... with Bernie at Neal Adams at the helm.

SW3D

Edited by SW3D

SW3D   
  • 1,424 posts

Yeah... I think he did some work on Creepshow. His Frankenstein work is probably his hallmark. That man is beyond talented!

The other Master that rose up in the late 60's and became a star in the early 70's is MW Kaluta. There was a time where Kaluta and Wrightson is all I wanted to see. Kinda like Frank Miller and John Byrne at Marvel... anything that had Wrightson, Kaluta, Miller or Byrne I went GaGa over.

SW3D

Edited by SW3D

Brando-   
  • 2,437 posts
  • Kudos Thread

Sonic Highways

The Foo Fighters are one of my favorite rock bands, with the exception of their first album; I’ve bought them all when they were new releases. Each album of theirs takes me back to specific times in my life and I'm really looking forward to their new release.

The Foos have a great series running on HBO right now, Sonic Highways. Each episode features a different American city. The series documents musicians and the musical history of each city they visit and how the city affects how musicians develop their craft. These episodes have visited a few record stores and this where I got to thinking about comics. Comics and music are two very different things but they are both about art and expression. Seeing these “local” record shops reminded me of our local comic shops. These record and comic shops (I used to go to one in Ohio that combined the two) both have a passionate clientele, from all walks of life. Both are places to go to where you find items that you can’t get just anywhere. Comics and Vinyl are collected and treasured; both are capsules of time, ideas, expressions and most of all, stories. We may not have put a comic in the juke box to coupe with our first heart ache but there are songs and comic stories that have inspired many of us throughout the years.

One episode, either about Chicago or Washington, D.C., covered the distribution of records from local bands without a contract or label to produce their music. These bands made the record covers and inserts themselves, having folding parties with their buddies and then distributing them themselves to various record shops. This reminded me of the underground comics, that were handmade and self-distributed. The last time I was at my local comic shop, a few artists had a table set up. I didn’t get to talk them, they were talking about how they thought Superman sucked and they looked like there were barely out of high school, so I figured a Superman fan in his early 30s asking about their art would have been awkward anyway…

One episode had Foo Fighters lead singer, Dave Grohl visiting his cousin, who took him to his first punk concert as an adolescent. When Dave’s cousin showed him her records, he commented on how she really took care of her records. This reminded me about my comics, I’ve also been told that I’ve taken good care of my comics. So we have the first concert experience and then we all have the first comic experience, and both experiences are often shared with friends and family. How many older siblings out there showed you your first concert or comic? How many showed your cousin?

Watching Sonic Highways makes me want to do a similar project, Four Color Highways, maybe, and go to various cities and document the local artist culture. Maybe there already is something like this, there are plenty of Con Docs out there, are there local comic scenes like there are local music scenes? I don’t know if you could label a comic a Chicago or Dallas comics like you could Chicago blues or Detroit rap, or could you? When I went to my first major con in Chicago three years ago, I caught a glimpse of many artists going through the hustle and bustle of checking in, setting up and putting their product out, I’m sure a traveling musician can relate. Final thought about music and comics, you can plug in some headphones and tune out the world, or you can tuck away in a corner to read a comic, both are good ways to take a break. You can also share and talk about music and comics with your friends, both are cool!

Keep rockin’!