• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2004 Original Art Acquisitioins

544 posts in this topic

And those prices are exactly why I collect artwork rather than comic artwork. wink.gif

When you can get a universally known artist's piece for the same price you can get a comic book cover, there's something wrong.

Brian

Hari do you know anyone that has some Frank Miller DD artwork with Bullseye and/or Kingpin for show. Every page I seem to find on the net from that run is rather hohum being Ninja's, Foggy, or two-bit crooks. Am I missing sites or is there a select few people who have these pages and keep them stashed away?

While you're around, I also have a question for you. What do some of those classic ASM panels run? Such as the ones Burkey has from the Osborn drug books, the ASM 42 pages, and/or the ASM 50 splash. Just curious..

Brian

That would be the most expensive reproduction I've ever seen. They claim to have sold a Batman 412 repro for 22,000. I've heard Neal's art is very hard to come by though so that might make it very expensive.

Brian

Hari do you know anyone that has some Frank Miller DD artwork with Bullseye and/or Kingpin for show. Every page I seem to find on the net from that run is rather hohum being Ninja's, Foggy, or two-bit crooks. Am I missing sites or is there a select few people who have these pages and keep them stashed away?

Miller DD pages with Elektra fighting, or with Bullseye fighting command the highest price.... 6-10K for nice pages. God only knows what a key page from issue 181 would fetch. I own two consecutive Elektra fight pages from 176, valued somewhere in the neighborhood of 15K based on a single Elektra fight page that sold for over 6K this past year on ebay.

I myself am looking for a nice Bullseye page, so I can't help you find one smile.gif

You're not missing sites... they are simply that rare, and I know of only two people who have a nice Bullseye page from that run.

While you're around, I also have a question for you. What do some of those classic ASM panels run? Such as the ones Burkey has from the Osborn drug books, the ASM 42 pages, and/or the ASM 50 splash. Just curious..

Brian

I'm not an expert, but I'm sure Mike Burkey would answer you directly. He's got his finger on the pulse regarding the Spidey market. Based on what he gave up for the ASM 42 page, it was worth over 25K TO HIM! Is it worth that to everyone? Of course not.

The 50 splash would be very expensive.... it's as nice as the cover (? nicer)... I'd say 40K easy... same with the 39 splash.

Other interior Romita SR pages would run around 5-8K, in general.

I also have a questioned about this piece. http://www.nealadams.com/sell1e.html#anchor27943

$40,000 for a reproduction of Batman 251 cover by Neal himself. Insane or not?

And has the original been sold at anytime recently and what's the estimate of the original if this is priced this way?

This is a truly ridiculous price. No one pays that amount for a recreation. Realistically, I'd doubt he'd get more than 5K for it.

The actual original would probably fetch over 40K though.

That would be the most expensive reproduction I've ever seen. They claim to have sold a Batman 412 repro for 22,000. I've heard Neal's art is very hard to come by though so that might make it very expensive.

Brian

If he's selling these for that amount, that's news to me. To each his own.

Neal's art is rare, but you can find it. I was offered the splash to Detective 400 and the splash to Detective 407 for around 4K each only 2 years ago, and those are original! So, I really can't imagine these reproductions going for insane amounts, even if you consider that his market value likely doubled over the past two years.

Brian

If he's selling these for that amount, that's news to me. To each his own.

Neal's art is rare, but you can find it. I was offered the splash to Detective 400 and the splash to Detective 407 for around 4K each only 2 years ago, and those are original! So, I really can't imagine these reproductions going for insane amounts, even if you consider that his market value likely doubled over the past two years.

Why do you think it is that original art prices have skyrocketed so much over the last couple of years?

My experience is that Burkey's early Romita splashes are around $50,000. If you could get him to part with them. As for the covers, it depends which one came up. The Amazing Spiderman # 47 just sold for something like $55,000. The # 69 sold for $42,000 on Heritage...2 years ago !!! The Amazing Spiderman # 95, which is a ho-hum cover sold for $23,000 about a year ago. The Amazing Spiderman # 40 sold anywhere from $80,000 to $99,000 a few months ago. These are just a few examples. They are very hard to come bye. And any Romita Amazing Spiderman splash or cover that comes onto the market gets quickly snatched up. You can always buy a Romita panel page for about $8,000 ... if you can find the damn thing. Most are hoarded up by Burkey. So , good luck.

>>Why do you think it is that original art prices have skyrocketed so much over the last couple of years? <<

Perhaps, the collecting public are just waking up to the realization that there is a plethora of really nice stuff. As more and more people discover the beauty of actually owning the art to your favorite comic book, it creates a bidding war. Most people didn't even know what original comic art was, let alone that it existed. As more and more people discover they can own an actual page from their favorite books, prices will continue to go up. There are lots and lots nice examples of comic art that can be bought from a published book by great artists such as Ditko, Romita, Colan, Kirby, Buscema, Byrne for under $1,000. Good Luck shopping.

Original comic art has skyrocketed the last 2 yrs b/c of the Cgc price inflation. Crazy $$ being spent on Hulk 181 Cgc 9.6, 9.8 or ASM # 1, AF 15 Cgc 9.0 up. Multiple Cgc copies on the census, yet equally hi-demand.

Makes dealers need to ask more for their original cloud9.gif 1 of a kind art inventory (covers, splashes) just to keep up with the top end of the hobby. Stoopid $$ being traded.

Hi,

I don't think the CGC price escalation has anything to do with it. The vast majority of comic art collectos don't follow the book market. For example, of the almost 2000 comic art yahoo group members, you've got maybe FIVE of us that actually look at this forum!

The two hobbies are very different, and book prices have little relation with art prices. For example, Crisis 7 and 8 go for what.... 100 bucks in 9.8? Well, the original art for those covers would be 75 and 50K. Art prices are mainly about image content, the nostalgia factor, and, of course, who the artist is. Not so with books.

"Why do you think it is that original art prices have skyrocketed so much over the last couple of years? "

Demand is far outstripping supply, especially with regards to the more coveted artists like Neal Adams, Jim Steranko, Brian Bolland, Berni Wrightson, John Byrne, Steve Ditko, John Romita, Mike Mignola, George Perez, BWS, Zeck, etc. Unfortunately, many collectors want the same item, and since everything's one-of-a-kind, this leads to bidding wars on virtually every major transaction.

I only see this getting worse, with prices rising higher and higher on the primo stuff, at least for the foreseeable future. There are also a lot of hollywood types and overseas collectors getting into this hobby, with large wallets.

I only see this getting worse, with prices rising higher and higher on the primo stuff, at least for the foreseeable future. There are also a lot of hollywood types and overseas collectors getting into this hobby, with large wallets.

And don't forget about the Doctors. grin.gif

Hari

Fantastic summary over today's thread. As always, thanks for the info. I do know that with the dollar being so low against the Euro, many pieces are going overseas and are being locked away in European collections. A friend of mine send over 50K worth of stuff to a newbie Euro collector!!!

Hari

Fantastic summary over today's thread. As always, thanks for the info. I do know that with the dollar being so low against the Euro, many pieces are going overseas and are being locked away in European collections. A friend of mine send over 50K worth of stuff to a newbie Euro collector!!!

A little verbal diarrhea on my part smile.gif These original art topics get me goin', though!