Phantom Stranger #5 (1952) mid-high grade w/nice pages
1 1

11 posts in this topic

2,488 posts

I'm looking for a copy of Phantom Stranger #5, from the 1952 series. I see low-grade copies from time to time, but I'm looking for one that's F/VF or better, raw or slabbed, with nice eye appeal, no rust, no restoration, and off-white-to-white or white pages.

I'm willing to pay at least $500 for a copy that meets my needs, possibly much more depending on the grade and eye appeal.

No hall-of-shamers or probies.

8,635 posts
:wishluck:

2,488 posts
Thanks! I'm keeping my fingers crossed myself. It's not really a highly sought after book, but sometimes the books nobody thinks about are the ones that are tough to find. They just sit, forgotten, in the back of people's comic boxes for years.

28,359 posts
Thanks! I'm keeping my fingers crossed myself. It's not really a highly sought after book, but sometimes the books nobody thinks about are the ones that are tough to find. They just sit, forgotten, in the back of people's comic boxes for years.

That's probably the toughest of the run....... a very high grade example was posted awhile back in the GA Phantom Stranger thread (..... a million pages back....) and that green is a beautimous site indeed. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

2,488 posts

That's probably the toughest of the run....... a very high grade example was posted awhile back in the GA Phantom Stranger thread (..... a million pages back....) and that green is a beautimous site indeed. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Thanks! I saw your bump of the other thread (which I skimmed through). The copy Bedrock posted might be the nicest I've seen.

It would figure that the toughest one to find is the one I like best. (First World problems!)

155 posts

Good luck, Jimbo! The whole run is real tough especially in Fine or better. I have a #5 that is CGC 5.5 that I bought a couple of years ago. I think I paid around $600 for it although I can't remember for sure. I have noticed that prices on this series have been going up of late with #1s in mid-grade going for over $1000. I am looking for a #4 in VG or better to complete my run. For me, the #4 seems to be the toughest in the run since I have not seen any decent copies for sale in the last couple of years.

2,488 posts
Good luck, Jimbo! The whole run is real tough especially in Fine or better. I have a #5 that is CGC 5.5 that I bought a couple of years ago. I think I paid around $600 for it although I can't remember for sure. I have noticed that prices on this series have been going up of late with #1s in mid-grade going for over $1000. I am looking for a #4 in VG or better to complete my run. For me, the #4 seems to be the toughest in the run since I have not seen any decent copies for sale in the last couple of years.

$600 for a 5.5, huh? That's good to know. That's more than I would have thought, but I don't have much to go on in terms of price data for that book.

166 posts

I have been after a few of the Stranger. I have the entire run, beginning to present missing only 1952 4-6. It has been a pain.

155 posts

$600 for a 5.5, huh? That's good to know. That's more than I would have thought, but I don't have much to go on in terms of price data for that book.

CORRECTION! I paid $357 for the Phantom Stranger #5 CGC 5.5 from Sparkle City Comics (on eBay) in August of 2012. I also bought a Phantom Stranger #6 CGC 5.5 for $381 from Sparkle City in the same auction.

I guess I was thinking about the Phantom Stranger #2 in CGC 6.5 that I won in a ComicLink auction for $657 in October of 2012 when I said I paid around $600 for my #5. Sorry for the confusion (but there's a little fairly recent pricing info for ya). :gossip:

2,488 posts

CORRECTION! I paid $357 for the Phantom Stranger #5 CGC 5.5 from Sparkle City Comics (on eBay) in August of 2012. I also bought a Phantom Stranger #6 CGC 5.5 for $381 from Sparkle City in the same auction.

I guess I was thinking about the Phantom Stranger #2 in CGC 6.5 that I won in a ComicLink auction for $657 in October of 2012 when I said I paid around $600 for my #5. Sorry for the confusion (but there's a little fairly recent pricing info for ya). :gossip:

OK, thanks for the updated info!

2,488 posts

Just thought I'd give this a bump in case whatever boardie is itching to sell a nice copy was asleep at the switch the first time I posted...