• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wonder Woman official movie thread (6/23/17)
6 6

1,526 posts in this topic

Watched it yesterday with my dad. We were both very happy with it overall. I wasn't too crazy about the final battle  at the end but it was definitely the best DC movie I've seen in a long time. IMO, a Wonder Woman trilogy could certainly top the Nolan/Batman trilogy if the next 2 surpass this 1st film.

Really enjoyable movie!  Saying it's the best DC movie yet, and the most emotional DC movie yet is really small praise and too low a bar to get over.  It stands on it's own as a fine movie.

That being said?  I'd love to see a cut of that move that comes in at 1:57 rather than 2:17.  It was too long.    And yeah, Professor Lupin / Ares was a bit silly.   That ending battle with him just didn't feel like it was the right note to hit.

But Wonder Woman is 100 % the first fully realized and recognizable DC character in this universe.  So... well done!!!

Just saw it...thought it was 'ok'....of period piece Super Hero movies id have to still rank Captain America 1 the best.....oh and Steve Trevor is an insufficiently_thoughtful_person as i could think of several ways out of that situation he was in

Edited by krighton

36 minutes ago, krighton said:

Just saw it...thought it was 'ok'....of period piece Super Hero movies id have to still rank Captain America 1 the best.....oh and Steve Trevor is an insufficiently_thoughtful_person as i could think of several ways out of that situation he was in

The Shadow,

The Phantom &

The Rocketeer

They were period ones that struggled, before reaching somewhat finding an audience on VHS/DVD/cable.

That was why I so unsure Wonder Woman would do as well as she has after Captain America had a somewhat lethargic run by current Marvel box-office standards.

i liked the character Wonder Woman...but the supporting cast...i dunno....maybe ive become more jaded with age, but not sure i could have stomached one more slow motion backflip.

Edited by krighton

42 minutes ago, krighton said:

i liked the character Wonder Woman...but the supporting cast...i dunno....maybe ive become more jaded with age, but not sure i could have stomached one more slow motion backflip.

Just saw it.  Decent for a DC movie. Definitely not as good as Nolan's first two Batman movies.  Too much slow motion in the action scenes.  Movie felt disjointed as they hopscotched from villain to villain, and it would have been better if it was 45 minutes shorter.  The movie did not need to be that long.  Wonder Woman being essentially invincible takes all the stakes and drama out of her fight scenes.  

All in all a nice improvement over DC's other recent efforts.  But the bar was so low for this that I think most people think it is much better than it really is. It really is a 6 of 10 at best.   DC should also thank Marvel, because without Captain America The First Avenger and Thor, this movie evidently would not have been possible.   

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

Regarding her powers in this movie...

Spoiler

So does she really "need" to deflect bullets with her bracelets and shield?

After enduring the collapse of an entire concrete steeple without even a scratch - would bullets really need to be deflected, or shouldn't they just bounce off her?

Edited by jcjames

Really I do think the movie would be viewed even better had it been maybe 20-30 minutes shorter and some decent villains. I think all can agree on that.  I can see where they short changed the villain to focus on WW more in this one.

Maybe its something they will improve on in the second movie. Will be interesting to see how many new viewers WW has brought in now that wouldn't normally see a super hero movie.

5 hours ago, krighton said:

Spoiler

Did you actually see Steve die?  I saw the plane blow up, and it's implied that Steve died, but..... hm

Maybe when he turned around to fire, he saw a parachute on the wall, and thought of a different strategy.

12 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

I enjoyed Man of Steel at the cinema and the Batman Vs Superman Ultimate Edition Blu-ray, and so this is encouraging for me.

Should be seeing it Monday afternoon.

I agree with you. Loved the Ultimate edition more than theatrical release. 

I know this was mentioned a few pages back. But I am really liking that new DCEU introduction.

Image Of The New DC Movie Intro Revealed

new-dc-movies-intro-still-1000681.jpg

Front and center is DC’s Trinity — Superman, Wonder Woman, and Batman — that is flanked by Aquaman and The Flash, the next two DC characters to get their shot at a solo film. Aquaman — helmed by director James Wan (Saw) — is currently filming on location in Hawaii while the crew at Warner Bros is scrambling to find a director for The Flash. While moviegoers expected to see those characters, in addition to Cyborg, as the group appears in this fall’s Justice League, a few surprises were in tow.

In addition to the mainstay characters, you can also see Catwoman, Shazam, Black Adam, Nightwing, and a few members of the Green Lantern Corps.

FORBES.COM: 'Wonder Woman' Shatters Records With $200+ Million Worldwide Opening

By Friday, the film had already taken an estimated $86 million in worldwide box office, and predictions for the final weekend cume continue to rise as ticket sales continue to exceed expectations.

Added to the great box office news for Wonder Woman -- indeed, no doubt driving that financial performance -- is a 94% Certified Fresh critical reception and an A-grade from audiences via Cinemascore. The Rotten Tomatoes score means Wonder Woman is now tied with The Dark Knight and Iron Man as the best-reviewed superhero films in history, and the A Cinemascore is likewise on par with the highest-graded superhero films except The Avengers, which is the only superhero release to score a rare A+ from audiences.

Some outlets are still predicting a final domestic bow in the $95-97 million range, just shy of $100 million, and if that winds up being the case it's still a huge victory for Wonder Woman and defies all of the earlier concerns and lower estimates. Those numbers still point to a likely final domestic tally north of $250 million, and more likely closer to $300 million, which implies a global total in the $600-700 million range.

There's no doubt the final worldwide box office opening will be right around $200 million by close of business Sunday, and could go north of that number. For now, whatever the precise final numbers turn out to be, you can be sure there's a lot of celebrating going on over at Warner Bros. and DC Entertainment right now, and Patty Jenkins, Gal Gadot, and everyone involved in the picture have every reason to be dancing in the streets this weekend.

DEADLINE: ‘Wonder Woman’ Breaks Glass Ceiling For Female Directors & Stomps On ‘Iron Man’ With $101.4M Debut

wonder-woman.jpg?w=446&h=299&crop=1

The warrior princess of Themyscira is finally leaping past the century mark this weekend with an estimated $101.4M, after an estimated $35.6M Saturday. Now, since studios include Thursday preview B.O. in Friday’s opening figure, Wonder Woman is -8% from Friday’s $38.7M. However, back that $11M Thursday cash out of Friday, and technically Wonder Woman is +29% Saturday over Friday.

Should these figures stick into morning, Wonder Woman then easily beats the opening of the first Iron Man ($98.6M), though she still floats under the openings of such single (not team) superhero origin features as Deadpool ($132.4M), Man of Steel ($116.6M), and Spider-Man ($114.8M). Currently, Wonder Woman is the sixth best domestic opening at the June B.O, and second best for WB and DC after Man of Steel. If she can get past the $109M generated by Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, then Wonder Woman will own the fifth-best debut for the month.

Screen Engine/ComScore’s updated PostTrak shows more women than men watching Wonder Woman, 53% to 47%. Older women over 25 are still the predominant quad at 35%, followed by men over 25 at 33%.  Women under 25 have grown slightly from 17% yesterday to 19% today, though guys under 25 are still the minority at Wonder Woman, only repping 14%.  In regards to total positive score, women love Wonder Woman just a little bit more than men, 89% to 85%. In addition, more women than men are definitely recommending Wonder Woman to their friends, 78% to 70%.

GaoNHY5.png

On 6/2/2017 at 9:54 AM, gadzukes said:

Went to it last night.  This movie is really good.  When they announced the Gal Gadot casting years ago I was one of the nay sayers.  Man, I was WRONG.  Gadot OWNS this roll.  She IS Wonder Woman.  She is 100% authentic and believable in this roll.  I was actually really moved by her performance.  Chris Pine is perfect too.  The chemistry between them is palpable.

I was also a naysayer about casting Gal Gadot but I was wrong, she was great. However, I disagree with you on Chris Pine and the chemistry. I didn't see or feel any chemistry.