• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wonder Woman official movie thread (6/23/17)
6 6

1,526 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven.

And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

1470348555782.png

42 minutes ago, Flex Mentallo said:

And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven.

And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=31b352271b3a5a4b

1470348555782.png

I don't follow DC too closely, but do they use the book of Revelation from the Bible as inspiration?

25 minutes ago, kimik said:

Not sure, but that is from the ending of the BvS movie where Lex is basically telling them that Darkseid is coming.

Correct. I believe the painting was specially commissioned for the movie, and that they turned it upside down.

48 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

The red capes are coming...

A presentiment of doom, reminiscent of the Ride of Paul Revere (The British are coming!).

It's preceded by: “Black and blue.  God versus Man.  Day versus Night.  The red capes are coming.  The red capes are coming.” – Lex Luthor

Took the missus and our 9 year old niece to see it on Saturday. They LOVED it. I liked it quite a bit. Gadot, despite my concerns during her original casting, perfectly embodies the role. She's great in it.

The movie itself is solid but unspectacular. It plays like a gender-swapped "Captain America: The First Avenger", also swapping WWI for WWII, but I don't really mind that. Superhero origin stories have a template, there's not much use in the movies trying to fight it.

The early scenes in Themyscira are the highlight of the movie, though Diana in WWI action is pretty exciting as well. The climax is a bit of a letdown, as it goes the route of "big CGI power showdown", a dull road that unfortunately nearly all of these superhero flicks end up going down.  Kind of a bummer considering what a relatively grounded and human film it had been up to that point. What had been a visually interesting movie (the lush Themyscira, the desaturated front lines of WWI) suddenly becomes a bunch of fire, air, and CGI power blasts, grounded in nothing.

Compared to the previous DCEU cinematic entries, Wonder Woman is a GREAT movie. It's their best film by a country mile, no question, with a perfectly cast lead, a good heart, and the best of intentions. But in the grand scheme,  the end result is a film is that it's simply "pretty good", squandering an early head of steam with a midsection drag and disappointing SFX bonanza finale. Still, this film can be seen as a course correction for the entire WB/DC line, and on that front it is a 100% success. Looking forward to seeing what future installments hold for the actress and character!

16 hours ago, AnkurJ said:

Wonder Woman was great! Was it the best superhero movie? No.

Basically it felt like the first Captain America but with Wonder Woman in his place.

My thoughts exactly, summed up much more succinctly! 

Was it a home run?  No.  More of a stand up triple.  Wonder Woman isn't the final answer to DC's success but a good step in the right direction.

The good:

Best part of the movie is the beginning and origin story.  You really get the sense of how tough the amazons are.

They did a great job of building the relationship between the two main characters.

Enough funny scenes to make the movie enjoyable/lighthearted.

Gal Gadot is stunningly gorgeous (hey, if women can swoon over Thor I can swoon over Wonder Womanlol).

The bad:

The movie is a bit longer than it needed to be (it seems like this is true for most DC movies).

Gal Gadot's accent takes getting use to and her acting is decent (not great...decent).

The villain(s) of the movie were not well written.

The CGI was a bit much.

8.5/10 (but I wouldn't argue with anybody giving it a 9/10)...see it in the theatre, buy the DVD, watch it on TV

The final weekend numbers are in, and it turns out Wonder Woman's domestic results were better than estimates predicted.

cdo9fTX.png

KOZzKFX.png

Pending Box Office Release Dates:

- June 7: France

- June 15: Germany

- June 23: Spain

- August 1: Japan

Edited by Bosco685

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

The final weekend numbers are in, and it turns out Wonder Woman's domestic results were better than estimates predicted.

cdo9fTX.png

KOZzKFX.png

Pending Box Office Release Dates:

- June 7: France

- June 15: Germany

- June 23: Spain

- August 1: Japan

:applause:

And since Scott Mendelson felt guilty the other day being 'that guy' to call out Wonder Wonder had barely missed topping Iron Man (2008)...

FORBES.COM: Weekend Box Office: 'Wonder Woman' Opened Even Bigger Than We Thought

As expected by pretty much everyone, Wonder Woman made even more over the weekend than originally estimated. It opened not with $100.5 million, but rather with $103.1 million.

The Gal Gadot-starring/Patty Jenkins-directed movie earned $38.185 million on Friday (including $11m in Thursday previews), $35.205m (-8%) on Saturday and $29.71m (-16%) on Sunday for a $103.1m Fri-Sun launch. As you can see, those are really small drops from Friday to Saturday and especially from Saturday to Sunday. If you remove the Thursday previews from the Friday number, Wonder Woman made more on Sunday ($29m) than on its pure Friday ($27m). It's not quite Sixth Sense-level impressive, but it's awfully close (and with much bigger numbers).

That means the word of mouth is good and that the positive attention, including the reviews, the buzz and the positive narrative from yesterday's salutatory box office reports, created more interest in the movie over the whole weekend. Of note, the film made just 10.6% of its opening weekend total on Thursday and scored a weekend multiplier of 2.7x.

That's way better, in terms of legs, than any big DC Comics movie (not counting the Red series) in remotely recent memory, especially when you consider that Superman Returns and Batman Begins opened on Wednesday. Heck, that's a better weekend multiplier than any Marvel Cinematic Universe movie, besting the 2.69x multipliers of Thor: The Dark World ($31m Friday/$85m weekend) and Iron Man ($38m Friday/$102m weekend).

By the way, there was some... confusion...yesterday about Wonder Woman's opening weekend versus Iron Man's debut. Like Man of Steel, the official opening weekend record inexplicably doesn't include the Thursday previews. Counting the $3.5 million in Thursday previews, Iron Man made $102m on its debut weekend, not $98m. But that's now completely irrelevant since Warner Bros./Time Warner Inc. is reporting that Wonder Woman made $103.1m, including Thursday previews, over its Fri-Sun debut.

^^

WW topping Iron Man is easy - more men and women would rather look at an in her prime Gal Gadot than an old and just out of rehab RDJ. lol

Edited by kimik

13 minutes ago, kimik said:

WW topping Iron Man is easy - more men and women would rather look at an in her prime Gal Gadot than an old and just out of rehab RDJ. lol

Honestly though, if you convert for 2017 USD there is no comparison. But when he posted that yesterday like he had to find something negative to point out, it was very odd. Like he couldn't allow a positive without digging up a negative.

But he is a critic. So it comes with the territory.

I was just kidding. I know that inflation adjusted it is no competition. (thumbsu

That being said, I would be a viewer poll would back my statement up re: who people would rather look at. lol

Who cares if it topped Iron Man?

I mean - I loved Wonder Woman and would be glad if it did, but

It. Didn't. Top. Iron. Man.

Adjusting for inflation, Wonder Woman would have clocked in at only $84 million in 2008 to Iron Man's $102 million, despite playing on 60 more screens than did Iron Man.

4 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Who cares if it topped Iron Man?

I mean - I loved Wonder Woman and would be glad if it did, but

It. Didn't. Top. Iron. Man.

Adjusting for inflation, Wonder Woman would have clocked in at only $84 million in 2008 to Iron Man's $102 million, despite playing on 60 more screens than did Iron Man.

:gossip: Your favorite Forbes.com reviewer was the one so concerned with comparing Wonder Woman to Iron Man. Like it mattered.

:gossip: And using a Deflation Calculator, $103MM is $92.6MM - not $84MM.

39 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

:gossip: Your favorite Forbes.com reviewer was the one so concerned with comparing Wonder Woman to Iron Man. Like it mattered.

:gossip: And using a Deflation Calculator, $103MM is $92.6MM - not $84MM.

If only they'd cast RD jnr as WW.