• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wonder Woman official movie thread (6/23/17)
6 6

1,526 posts in this topic

As of this weekend's estimates, Wonder Woman added an additional $1.48M bringing it only $2.9M from $800M worldwide. And that's without Japan or any international updates from this weekend.

S42SCU2.png

Remaining release dates:

- Japan: 25 August 2017

:headbang:

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

As of this weekend's estimates, Wonder Woman added an additional $1.48M bringing it only $2.9M from $800M worldwide. And that's without Japan or any international updates from this weekend.

S42SCU2.png

Remaining release dates:

:headbang:

Well the film did finish at 402.2 million to where I though it would finish at and 25,000 less than my prediction for total take. I am constantly looking at this film to see numbers because the film continually surprises me. I'm trying to predict as to where this film will finish in its final tally.

There is no question Wonder Woman will pass Spider-Man as the number one Super-Hero debut of all time. It may pass that benchmark by the end of next weekend, but for sure mid next week. We all know The Avengers 1 and 2 as well as the Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises are out of reach. However these two films are not completely out of reach if she continues to perform well.

1. Iron Man at 409,013,994

2. Captain America Civil War at 408,084,349

I am mostly going to use two films as my reference at week 9 Guardians has pulled in similar numbers to what WW did in week 11 and that film has went on to do 5.5 million more so far. At week 11 WW performed better than Beauty and the Beast and that film went on to do about 4 million more. The difference now is I don't really see any films coming out that is going to really say hey stop seeing the summer films until It in September that people are talking about

4 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Now only $2.62M from $800M worldwide. I thought it was going to take Japan to get this close - and beyond.

HGeP4kv.png

Remaining release dates:

To be honest this film may be past 800 million before Japan's release no reason this film can't do between 1.5 to 2 mil more here in the US by then leaving only 700 thousand to 1.2 mil for the foriegn market to do. Japan is just gravy on the cake let's hope the Disney princess like campaign WB gave Wonder Woman a nice boost and does not back fire.

20 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Now only $2.62M from $800M worldwide. I thought it was going to take Japan to get this close - and beyond.

HGeP4kv.png

Remaining release dates:

So what you are really saying with regards to $800M worldwide is that.....................................it has a chance? lol

1 hour ago, kimik said:

So what you are really saying with regards to $800M worldwide is that.....................................it has a chance? lol

Easy peasy lemon-squeezy.

Or in common terms,...

damn_skippy_by_wobtar-d3a9f3h.png

1 hour ago, reddwarf666222 said:

Yeah from what I can see most likely happens Sunday, but Monday for sure

Based on the lower Wednesday results, I lean towards post-weekend (Monday or Tuesday).

:applause:

On ‎2017‎/‎08‎/‎12 at 8:19 AM, reddwarf666222 said:

Sorry until I saw Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman I couldn't  picture anyone else than Lynda Carter. With that bikini it seems she wants to be Honey Ryder in James Bond.

I agree, I think Gal Gadot is a spectacular Wonder Woman. She nails the looks.

Box Office Mojo updated the international box office numbers after receiving new data from countries such as Finland, Iceland, Netherlands, Norway, Romania and Slovenia ($700,000). Based on that substantial bump, as of Thursday's overall update we are looking at just $1.33M from an $800M worldwide total.

P4fSLkM.png

Including whatever Friday provides, we could now be looking at Wonder Woman breaking this barrier by Monday.

On 8/18/2017 at 5:42 AM, Bosco685 said:

Box Office Mojo updated the international box office numbers after receiving new data from countries such as Finland, Iceland, Netherlands, Norway, Romania and Slovenia ($700,000). Based on that substantial bump, as of Thursday's overall update we are looking at just $1.33M from an $800M worldwide total.

P4fSLkM.png

Including whatever Friday provides, we could now be looking at Wonder Woman breaking this barrier by Monday.

Well with Friday's numbers we know Wonder Woman should beat Spider-Man on Sunday to be the number one super hero debut of all time.

6 hours ago, reddwarf666222 said:

Well with Friday's numbers we know Wonder Woman should beat Spider-Man on Sunday to be the number one super hero debut of all time.

I guess Scott Mendelson has a mega article that this film is going to pass the 800mil and Spider-Man 2002 ready for tomorrow 

Wonderful article from Scott Mendelson of Forbes.

Crosses 800 million today, beats out Spider-Man 2002 for best super-hero debut of all time, and still has Japan left as gravy.

Now this is all estimates, but makes up for a lackluster performance last weekend.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/08/20/box-office-wonder-woman-ends-summer-by-topping-800m-worldwide/#cfe3ecd296ee

We all thought it would take until next Friday, or the film’s opening day in Japan, before Wonder Woman topped the $800 million mark. But the picture has specialized in moving the goal posts all summer long. And frankly, it feels appropriate that the big event movie of the summer will end the season by soaring past the $800m mark. So yeah, that’s happening today. Patty Jenkins’ Wonder Woman has now made over $800m worldwide, which means she’s probably going to get whatever she’s asking for to direct Wonder Woman 2.

Yes, the film is the first female-directed live-action movie to cross $400 million domestic and $800m worldwide. And yeah, it’s the first film directed by a woman sans a male co-director (sorry, Frozen) to so likewise as well. But you’ve heard these stats a bazillion times. Here’s one I want to bring up yet again: Wonder Woman is now Warner Bros./Time Warner Inc.’s third-biggest domestic grosser ever not adjusted for inflation behind Chris Nolan’s Dark Knight sequels. It is also the biggest domestic grosser not released by Walt Disney or Universal/Comcast Corp. since Lionsgate’s The Hunger Games: Catching Fire ($424m in 2D) in late 2013.

And, again speaking entirely in North America for the moment, it’s the biggest 3D grosser not released by Disney or Universal since James Cameron’s Avatar back in late 2009. As far as the worldwide end game, Japan is a coin toss. The film could play like a standard comic book superhero movie and earned $15-$20 million in Japan or it could play like a Disney princess movie like Maleficent and earn $60-$70m or more. If it tops the worldwide total of Dawn of Justice and Sony’s Spectre ($880m in 2015 sans 3D), it’ll be the biggest non-Disney/Universal worldwide hit since Catching Fire ($865m sans 3D) in late 2013.

But that’s highly speculative and we can cross that bridge next week. Let’s just focus on that domestic figure for a second. Wonder Woman will today cross the $404 million domestic mark, meaning it has passed the (unadjusted) domestic total of Sam Raimi’s Spider-Man ($403.7m in 2002 sans 3D) to become the biggest non-sequel comic book/superhero movie ever. It’ll still sit behind Batman, Superman and Spider-Man in terms of inflation, but that’s not bad company. It is the second-biggest domestic grosser of 2017 behind Beauty and the Beast ($504m) and the third-biggest single-territory grosser of the year behind Beauty and the Beast and whatever Wolf Warrior 2 has earned in China ($768m counting online ticketing fees, $716m without).

If Justice League can’t best Wonder Woman in North America, it may keep those non-WB/Universal records for a very long time. If you look at the output of Warner Bros., Paramount, Fox, Lionsgate, Sony and the smaller distribution houses, you’ll notice that there is nothing out there that could logically be expected to make anywhere near $400m in North America. That’s not intended as an insult. I’m sure Fox is just fine with a $225m domestic gross for Logan and Sony will be thrilled if the Spider-Man: Homecoming sequel makes another $300m+ in North America in two years. Ditto James Wan’s Aquaman and Matt Reeves’ Batman movie.

Zack Snyder and Joss Whedon’s Justice League may build upon the goodwill from Wonder Woman, the existing fandom of the DC Films universe and the sheer want-to-see factor of watching the Super Friends face their greatest challenge in live action on the big screen. At this point it’s a coin toss (and not the bar for success), especially with Thor: Ragnarok on one side and Star Wars: The Last Jedi on the other. But if the DC Films superhero sequel can’t top the domestic gross for Wonder Woman, I’d wager that said milestone will stay put at least until James Cameron’s Avatar 2 tries to make lightning strike thrice in December of 2020.

Edited by reddwarf666222

15 hours ago, reddwarf666222 said:

They plan on marketing her like a Disney Princess 

That's been noted by quite a few articles over the past month. And because of historic results with Disney princess movies.

FORBES.COM latest article:

As far as the worldwide end game, Japan is a coin toss. The film could play like a standard comic book superhero movie and earned $15-$20 million in Japan or it could play like a Disney princess movie like Maleficent and earn $60-$70m or more.

Edited by Bosco685