• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wonder Woman official movie thread (6/23/17)
6 6

1,526 posts in this topic

We're taking our 9 year old niece to see it this weekend. I expect she'll be asking a lot of questions, but I hope she'll enjoy it. She really got a kick out of Guardians 2, even though she hasn't seen the first one, but I don't know that WW is going to be as likely to entertain kids as GOTG2 was. I'm super psyched for it though.

Wonder Woman Officially Certified Fresh

wonder-woman-certified-fresh-999864-320x

The reviews have been flooding in, and Wonder Woman continues to defy all odds or expectations. In addition to becoming the highest-rated DC or Marvel film to-date, Gal Gadot's solo film has officially been Certified Fresh by Rotten Tomatoes.

The review site collects the reviews from critics around the world, and gives each film a rating based on those reviews. A good review gets a fresh rating, a poor review gives you a rotten rating. The overall Rotten Tomatoes score is the percentage of positive vs negative reviews.

Being Certified Fresh is the highest honor a film can achieve on Rotten Tomatoes, and a movie has to be universally praised to gain the stamp. For a wide-release movie like Wonder Woman, the overall score has to be above 75% after being reviewed by at least 80 critics. Of those 80, five have to be top critics.

Wonder Woman gained its 80th review on Wednesday morning, the day before its evening release in the US. With a score of 96%, 77 of the 80 critics have given Wonder Woman a fresh review.
The movie is well-worth the praise, as Patty Jenkins and Gal Gadot did an incredible job bringing the heroine to life.

WOW!

Where is that 'former Warner Bros. employee letter' that noted Wonder Woman is a guaranteed hot mess?

Just now, Straw-Man said:
33 minutes ago, Red84 said:

It will top $200 million domestic opening weekend.

disagree.  but 100m will be blown by.

Batman v. Superman opened at 166 with bad reviews.  This is also a blockbuster with the most iconic female character and great reviews.  I think that combination equals $200 opening.  We will see.

1 hour ago, Red84 said:

that # is nutso.  #4 all time.  no prayer.

10 minutes ago, kagenish said:

I feel the movie is going to do over $100 million Domestic with a total over $220 million worldwide.

+1 - deadline is saying $175 WW but they low ball everything.  honestly, it's more than enough to have a DCEU you can celebrate rather than hide from (at least until November)

1 minute ago, paperheart said:
1 hour ago, Red84 said:

that # is nutso.  #4 all time.  no prayer.

15 minutes ago, kagenish said:

I feel the movie is going to do over $100 million Domestic with a total over $220 million worldwide.

+1 - deadline is saying $175 WW but they low ball everything.  honestly, it's more than enough to have a DCEU you can celebrate rather than hide from (at least until November)

If Force Awakens could do $240 I don't see why the most iconic female superhero of all time couldn't get $200.  

What's fun about this debate is we'll have an answer in a few days. :) 

11 minutes ago, Red84 said:

If Force Awakens could do $240 I don't see why the most iconic female superhero of all time couldn't get $200.  

What's fun about this debate is we'll have an answer in a few days. :) 

Amen to that! I can't believe we are THERE already.

I'm trying to go this weekend so I can do my part.

The 'female-only' showings are getting some interesting support.

Avengers Star Defends Women-Only Wonder Woman Screenings

0HGLwDP.png

And yet it is sounding like a success before the event even occurred.

Women-only Wonder Woman showings sell out despite outcry

- Movie theaters in Austin, Texas and Brooklyn, New York ,say ‘no guys allowed’

- Brooklyn Alamo promises to donate all proceeds to Planned Parenthood

Plans by US movie theaters to host women-only screenings of Wonder Woman have produced support and some grumbling about gender discrimination. Despite criticism on social media, much of it from men, some such screenings are selling out. Several more have been added.

The offer of special screenings began in Austin, Texas, where Alamo Drafthouse Cinema has previously held specialty screenings for military veterans and others. Regarding plans for women-only Wonder Woman showings, the Alamo venue in Brooklyn, New York, posted a statement online.

“Apologies, gentlemen, but we’re embracing our girl power and saying ‘No Guys Allowed’ for several special shows at the Alamo Downtown Brooklyn,” it said.

“And when we say ‘women (and people who identify as women) only’, we mean it. So lasso your geeky girlfriends together and grab your tickets to this celebration of one of the most enduring and inspiring characters ever created.”

I need some normal people to see it and review it. Critics have raved on the movie already and while I think that's great sometimes what they love and I love are vastly different.(Westworld) I have read all types of articles on it because that's what you do for when I movie comes out you get press.

I want to really like this film and I am taking my 13 year old daughter as well. I too think the gender card is being a little overplayed here, but I love the point about how WW doesn't understand or react to gender roles at all because she has never been exposed to them. It should be a refreshing way to watch a movie.

BOX OFFICE: Positive Reviews To Propel WONDER WOMAN To A Bigger Than Expected Opening Weekend

Initial opening weekend estimates for Wonder Woman were a little on the low side, but box office analysts now believe that the critically acclaimed release will debut in North American theaters with upwards of $95M. In fact, pre-release tracking suggests that the DC Comics adaptation could pass the $100M mark, a terrific result for the Amazon warrior's long overdue big screen debut. 

Warner Bros. is being a little more conservative by suggesting $65M-$75M domestically, but the signs are pointing to Wonder Woman scoring the biggest North American opening ever for a female director. It also looks set to provide a much-needed boost to the Memorial Day weekend.

Tracking points to both sexes having a lot of interest in Wonder Woman, a movie which cost $150M to produce. It's already a critical hit, but the signs are pointing to it being a commercial one too. 

20 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

I need some normal people to see it and review it. Critics have raved on the movie already and while I think that's great sometimes what they love and I love are vastly different.(Westworld) I have read all types of articles on it because that's what you do for when I movie comes out you get press.

I want to really like this film and I am taking my 13 year old daughter as well. I too think the gender card is being a little overplayed here, but I love the point about how WW doesn't understand or react to gender roles at all because she has never been exposed to them. It should be a refreshing way to watch a movie.

I'm in the same boat - taking my 15 year old daughter on Sunday. Hoping for a great time at the movies :banana:

If anyone needed one more confirmation the movie is going down a different path, hear from a reviewer that very much disliked Batman v Superman and The Suicide Squad.

Talk about a 180 degree change in experience.

Edited by Bosco685