• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wonder Woman official movie thread (6/23/17)
6 6

1,526 posts in this topic

Saw it yesterday and was the first time my entire family agreed on a movie.  Everyone loved it, including the wife who really isn't into superhero stories.

will definitely shatter records all over the place which is great for the DCEU and continued momentum into Justice League. 

I saw it last Friday, I thought it was good :) hit me in the gut a couple of times; I laughed at some of the music choices.

Some of the lines in the movie didn't land well and were not the punch they should be after build up; I'm looking at you "final weapon"

Spoiler

"god-killer" reveal delivery was horrible and lacked emphasis, with a frail villian that didn't seem to pack a punch either

Looks like Hollywood is catching Wonder Woman fever as well, along with James Wan renting out an entire theater so the Aquaman cast and crew could go see it during filming.

Former Catwoman Anne Hathaway Shares Wonder Woman Support

Anne Hathaway is an actress best known to DC Comics superhero fans as Selina “Catwoman” Kyle in Christopher Nolan’s The Dark Knight Rises. Hathaway may be out of the superhero game these days, but she’s still showing her support for the current queen of the box office, Gal Gadot’s Wonder Woman.

Hathaway’s Interstellar co-star Jessica Chastain shared a photo on Instagram of herself holding what appear to be a classic Wonder Woman calendar featuring Lynda Carter’s television Wonder Woman on the cover. Chastain encouraged women to support the film, its female star and its female director, Patty Jenkins.

Hathaway shared Chastain’s post on her own Instagram account, backing up Chastain’s call for support.

8Pvbwx2.png

Aquaman Director Reviews Wonder Woman

Aquaman director James Wan is adding his voice to the choir of praise for Wonder Woman.

On Twitter, Wan revealed that the entire cast and production crew had a day out to go enjoy the latest DC Films movie, renting out an entire theater to accommodate the crowd. Wan was not disappointed.

6TXpreW.png

Something positive is definitely happening here with the reaction to Wonder Woman.

Edited by Bosco685

Wbpdjto.png

1gp82yS.png

Pending Box Office Release Dates:

- June 7: France

- June 15: Germany

- June 23: Spain

- August 1: Japan

Box Office: 'Wonder Woman' Just Topped 'Green Lantern's Total Gross In One Weekend

Patty Jenkins and Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman just outgrossed the entire global total of Green Lantern ($219m) this weekend. Oh, and by tomorrow, it will probably be the biggest DC Comics movie ever not based around Batman or Superman. Sorry, Constantine ($230m in 2005 and sans 3D), I still think you're pretty cool.

The $150 million comic book superhero movie based around the Amazon Princess earned a smashing $100.5m domestic debut over its Fri-Sun weekend. And now we can report that it made $122..5m overseas, for a superb $223m worldwide opening. That's the biggest opening weekend ever here and abroad for a female-directed movie and a female-centric comic book superhero movie. The film earned $122.5m overseas on 34,300 screens in 55 markets. By the way, 43% of its worldwide take ($95m) was in 3D, while 16.1% of that ($36m) came from Real-D locations. Oh, and $18.3m of that whole thing (8.2%) came from IMAX locations.

The overall international debut outperformed the likes of Thor, Thor: The Dark World, the first two Iron Man movies, both Guardians of the Galaxy movies, Doctor Strange, the first two Captain America movies, Man of Steel and Ant-Man. It earned $38 million alone in the first three days in China, which is a solid 3.166x weekend multiplier and Warner Bros.' fourth biggest Chinese bow ever.

While it may not have the longest legs in China thanks to a deluge of big movies this month (The Mummy on the 9th, Alien: Covenant on the 16th and Transformers: The Last Knight on the 23rd), even a modest 2x multiplier gets the movie to $76m. It earned $33.5m combined in the likes of Indonesia, the Philippines and Taiwan. The Patty Jenkins-directed period piece adventure earned $7.5 million in t he United Kingdom, besting the likes of Thor, The Wolverine and almost doubling Captain America: The First Avenger.

Offhand, it earned $8.4 million in Mexico, which is the fourth-biggest WB debut ever over there and above all relevant comparisons save for Batman v Superman and Suicide Squad. It earned $8.3m in Brazil (third biggest WB debut) which was ahead of all comps save for Batman v Superman, Suicide Squad and Logan. It earned $8.5m in South Korea, about on par with Man of Steel and $4.9m in Australia. So yeah, Wonder Woman opened about as well as any upper-tier male-driven superhero movie of note over the last few years.

55 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Jessica Chastain shared a photo

I find it quite significant that the final third of WW is the part most negatively reviewed, because it is also the most familiar, in terms of super hero/heroine movie tropes. But two thirds of a near great movie, where the best of it ignores the usual machinery. It is the less familiar that is most thrilling. A fresh take on a genre at some risk of going stale.

By sheer chance I've just been watching Chastain in Miss Sloane, a terrific movie which is more West Wing than Wonder Woman, but strikingly similar in its jaundiced, but largely accurate view of a world run by an establishment of vindictive old men.

Chastaine/Sloane may not be Wonder Woman, but imagine if she had been! More bite, less action...

20 minutes ago, Flex Mentallo said:

Miss Sloane is the reverse.

'Do you know the word “annihilate”? It means reduced to nothing.'

Key word: earthquake.

I thought Miss Sloane was great also. 

23 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Looks like other female actors are still coming out to recognize this movie. Including from the Marvel side of the business. And in the strongest of terms.

Black Panther's Lupita Nyong'o Reviews Wonder Woman

wFCoJb6.png

A well deserved praise! WW has it all, great leads, fun supporting cast, interesting villain, and most importantly an engaging story.

I got misty eyed during the scene when Diana breaks away from the other Allies and attempts to save the villagers and brought out her lasso in battle. It was at that exact moment that I realized they did the character proud.

2nd best DC movie ever made. (Nothing will probably beat first Reeves Superman for me).

Just got back.

Much better than I expected. Probably 8/10.

Easily better than Thor/Thor 2, Iron Man 2/3, Doctor Strange, and Captain America for me.

Yeah - they could have cut 10-15 minutes in the middle but I also _loved_

Spoiler

the Ares twist. And had no problem with him looking "frail" - that's the point - the devil and/or Ares never comes in the size or form we suspect. Like -- I feel the same way about the brilliant casting of Tilda Swinton as Gabriel in Constantine.

Also - I thought the third act was no weaker than the third act of all three Iron Man films.

The problem with Iron Man is how to craft a finale that's not just him fighting other suits of armor. So far that's literally been the ending of all three films. Only Civil War mixed it up a little, with him going against Cap & Bucky.

Here the finale made sense, and the lead-up to it was great.

Loved this film and will be widely recommending it.

Edited by Gatsby77