• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wonder Woman official movie thread (6/23/17)
6 6

1,526 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

Not part of current DC Universe continuity. Nolan never wanted them to be either.

They are still the benchmark for all modern DC films.

So it this past weekend and liked it a lot.  So did my wife and son.  As most have said the third act becomes a little predictable, but Gadot and the rest of the cast were great, movie had good pacing, and good character moments. Biggest improvement from the other DCEU fair so far was it some heart, humor, and remembered characters come first.  Not some convoluted overstuffed plot.

I think there was a missed opportunity to make the end special, and they did hit on the premise a few times.  I would have enjoyed it if instead of WW actually confronting Ares, that she is forced to really deal with the fact they he resides in everyone. That he was no longer a physical entity. There was no God to beat down, but rather it would be an ongoing battles against people's basic nature. Like i said the movie established that idea, but it would have been more powerful without the actual confrontation. 

9 minutes ago, drotto said:

So it this past weekend and liked it a lot.  So did my wife and son.  As most have said the third act becomes a little predictable, but Gadot and the rest of the cast were great, movie had good pacing, and good character moments. Biggest improvement from the other DCEU fair so far was it some heart, humor, and remembered characters come first.  Not some convoluted overstuffed plot.

I think there was a missed opportunity to make the end special, and they did hit on the premise a few times.  I would have enjoyed it if instead of WW actually confronting Ares, that she is forced to really deal with the fact they he resides in everyone. That he was no longer a physical entity. There was no God to beat down, but rather it would be an ongoing battles against people's basic nature. Like i said the movie established that idea, but it would have been more powerful without the actual confrontation. 

what if;

Spoiler

The Gods are not Dead but they only lost their physical form and are cage up by Hades with Ares join them in Hell.

12 minutes ago, kagenish said:

what if;

Hide contents

The Gods are not Dead but they only lost their physical form and are cage up by Hades with Ares join them in Hell.

I guess i just like the idea of a Superhero being faced with the idea that there is nothing to fight, no neat tidy victory.  No easily definable big bad.  Your idea seems to satisfy that.  I do not know, however how audiencies would react to a superhero movie where the conflict was not solved by a big end boss, but more left to deal with how do I fight something that is more of an idea than a body. It would have fit with what was set up in this movie very well.

I am not saying you would not get your big final battle, but rather that oh moment where WW realizes she is fighting the good fight, something she needs to do, but it is not as simple as she thought.  In fact the idea that she could blame this on a simple bad guy did it was wrong. The real world is much more complex then find the bad guy and beat the snot out of him. WW would then need to deal with that realizatin, and the charater grown it would trigger. Like i said, the film clearly touched on these ideas where I feel it should have run with it.

I agree.

As you say, the movie sets up that Ares will always exist, because he merely gave humanity the tools -- but it was human's inherent nature and greed that led to the constant war. He created the environment, but mankind's natural tendency toward violence took off within that environment entirely on its own.

But I thought it did explicitly state that - that even if she entirely defeated Ares, mankind would continue on its path of violence requiring her protection.

22 hours ago, kimik said:

I am curious to see if Wonder Woman drops by less than 50% due to word of mouth. We are going with some friends and their kids this coming weekend, and I expect that there will be plenty of others with the same plan due to kids sports on opening weekend. lol 

I expect it to have a phenomenal hold. While most of us fanboys seem to be in the "Hey, it's pretty good!" camp, the casual fan seems to LOVE the movie. My wife, who normally doesn't give two carps about this sort of stuff, loved it, and has been reading up on the production and stuff. Same for our niece, she just loved it. Word of mouth outside of fanboy circles appears to be super strong and growing. Glad I bet against The Mummy on HSX!

32 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

I expect it to have a phenomenal hold. While most of us fanboys seem to be in the "Hey, it's pretty good!" camp, the casual fan seems to LOVE the movie. My wife, who normally doesn't give two carps about this sort of stuff, loved it, and has been reading up on the production and stuff. Same for our niece, she just loved it. Word of mouth outside of fanboy circles appears to be super strong and growing. Glad I bet against The Mummy on HSX!

I think there has been the desire to have a female fronted superhero film for a very long time.  The audiences have wanted it, and DC delivers a very good movie that filled that void. People want to see this movie, and have been puzzled why it has not been done yet.

Marvel really missed an opportunity here, and from a planning standpoint for the MCU not having a female led film was a major mistake. There is no logical reason that they should have been first. Marvel has been destroying DC on the big screen, this was a major victory for DC. Good job DC.

Do not let this diminish the notion that DC did not take a calculated risk with WW. If it had flopped it would not only have destroyed the DCEU, but the chance of getting more female heroes in lead roles by all studios. I am glad they succeeded, as it is obvious even the "competition" has been celebrating the movies success. It is good for both movie universes going forward. 

Edited by drotto

19 minutes ago, drotto said:

I think there has been the desire to have a female fronted superhero film for a very long time.  The audiences have wanted it, and DC delivers a very good movie that filled that void. People want to see this movie, and have been puzzled why it has not been done yet.

Marvel really missed an opportunity here, and from a planning standpoint for the MCU not having a female led film was a major mistake. There is no logical reason that they should have been first. Marvel has been destroying DC on the big screen, this was a major victory for DC. Good job DC.

Do not let this diminish the notion that DC did not take a calculated risk with WW. If it had flopped it would not only have destroyed the DCEU, but the chance of getting more female heroes in lead roles by all studios. I am glad they succeeded, as it is obvious even the "competition" has been celebrating the movies success. It is good for both movie universes going forward. 

Yeah, if Marvel doesn't go ahead with the Black Widow movie at this point, I don't know what to think.

21 minutes ago, drotto said:

I do have to agree. This was a HUGE risk for the DCEU. Even when that fake WB Employee letter came out that you felt confirmed your suspicions - the movie was going to be a mess - any further investment by Warner Bros. threw at marketing to address these concerns were even higher risks. Yet this time around it ends up not only a critical success, but also a wide-scale female movement to recognize it's success and confirmation they can lead big movies and achieve box office gold.

Now at least the road has been cleared for Marvel's upcoming female-led film. Ike Perlmutter even has to recognize the shift that just took place compared to his email to Sony about female bombs like Supergirl, Elektra and Catwoman.

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

... Ike Perlmutter even has to recognize the shift that just took place compared to his email to Sony about female bombs like Supergirl, Elektra and Catwoman.

Psst, they were all horrible movies.  It had nothing to do with the gender of the lead character.

1 hour ago, F For Fake said:

You are so right!

At work the executive admin went to opening night together to see this movie. They came back huge fans, and spreading the word fast. Next thing you know, there are dinner-and-a-movie parties happening amongst the ladies at work to go see this. Now a few have already watched it twice. And knowing I am a comic book geek, sharing what they thought. I never hear anything about third-act concerns from them. But the fast-motion/slow-motion change-ups comes up from time to time. That more than anything else. But always with, "But it's still a great movie!"

1 minute ago, Lucky Baru said:

Psst, they were all horrible movies.  It had nothing to do with the gender of the lead character.

Pssst. He's such a jerk about it, he associated the failures with the gender of the actors. Pssst.

(:

21 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I do have to agree. This was a HUGE risk for the DCEU. Even when that fake WB Employee letter came out that you felt confirmed your suspicions - the movie was going to be a mess - any further investment by Warner Bros. threw at marketing to address these concerns were even higher risks. Yet this time around it ends up not only a critical success, but also a wide-scale female movement to recognize it's success and confirmation they can lead big movies and achieve box office gold.

Now at least the road has been cleared for Marvel's upcoming female-led film. Ike Perlmutter even has to recognize the shift that just took place compared to his email to Sony about female bombs like Supergirl, Elektra and Catwoman.

I am honest enough to admit I was wrong, and I am glad.  I still have fears about JL, but am starting to think my dislike for the DCEU so far has stemmed from Snyder and his heavy influence on the movies so far.  From what I have read the WW director was given a lot of freedom to make her movie, the way she envisioned it. The studio was less hands on, and the formula worked.

It sounds like it was made more like the better Marvel movies (like GOTG). Give the directors a roadmap, but let them make the film. Lets not forget, this movie is clearly its own film, and would be a fine stand alone movie, but it has a somewhat more Marvel vibe to it.

It is also easy to forget that there were other female led superhero movies. Yes, they have all been really bad. So we need to separate gender from success. Audiences are open to seeing good movies, regardless of the sex of the lead.  WW hands down proves this.

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

Solid two-day buildup.

buQSiTy.png

fKkfdfS.png

Going to be a solid 700 to 750 mil. film unless there is an uprecidented hold in the second weekend.  Put it right there with the best grossing solo movies