• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wonder Woman official movie thread (6/23/17)
6 6

1,526 posts in this topic

Just got back and really liked it.  Wife thought it was great and she cried at the end.  It's definitely the type of success D.C. needed to keep the hits coming.

Warner Bros. is really going to have a tough negotiation ahead.

SGqkBmi.png

Wonder Woman Director Gives Update On If She’ll Direct A Sequel

Tonight, Jenkins appeared on Conan O’Brien’s late-night show to talk about the success of Wonder Woman. It was there the host asked Jenkins how things were looking for a sequel and if she’d return. You can check out what Jenkins had to say below:

“We’re working on it,” Jenkins said. “I hope to. I’d love it. I love the world, and we are all very excited about it.”

Earlier this week, news first broke that Jenkins was not attached to Wonder Woman 2. According to The Wrap, sources told the site Warner Bros. did not secure or option Jenkins for a second film as she was brought in to replace Michelle McLaren. It is also standard practice in Hollywood to sign a director film-by-film when it comes to franchises as a way to protect a series.

On 6/7/2017 at 10:18 PM, drotto said:

There would have been plenty of CGI worthy moments if they had a third act reworking.  They could have shown an army of super soldiers and have WW basically single handed defeat that army. In the process the sword would have been broken and she would have herself realized she was the weapon.  That could have been made an even more terrifying moment of self realization, rather than being told by Ares. Then cut to her seeing Hitler rise and see that her WW I victory was a Pyrrhic victory, and while she was wrong in thinking Ares still existed, realizing his corrupting influence remains alive in all men. Then make her final scene, not her flying into the sky, but charging the battlefield at Normandy. 

I also did not care for some of the final CGI, especially the WW flying stuff.  Granted, I have never really liked it when DC basically makes her a female version of Superman. In general I think the overpowering of characters leads to difficulties in storytelling.  It puts writers in a position of needing to up the super villain anti so high to make the heroes victory even the slightest bit in doubt, and dull stories. So that taints my personal opinion of some of those final scenes. 

With all that said, I really liked the movie.  I put it near the level of the Dark Knight, and for me it is higher the Batman begins, and the Dark Knight Rises. I just think that if they had been a little braver in the final act, and had not gone back to a typical superhero movie formula, they could have taken the movie from extremely good to an instant classic.

Fantastic!  I would have loved this third act!

16 hours ago, phobalicious said:

Don't see the Titanic effect to any current movies or future unless it is a new technology or some new innovation. There are just too many options to choose outside of  going to theater, streaming option, 4k, 3D, HD, home theater setup, and the pleasure to enjoy at home any time. 1997 has no competition with today technologies. Same goes with Avatar, 1st 3D movie in theater made billions; all big budget movies now have 3D and they can't break a billion.

Good points, but the hormones of 13-to-15-year-old teens are the same as 1997, 1887, 1777.  They want to be where the others are... they wish they could drive, but they can't.  Streaming options and home theaters aren't 50 teens together.  Shopping malls are year-round, nothing special.  A summer movie, in the dark, side-by-side, filled with teenage girls is where teenage boys want to be... and vice versa.  It's not about the movie, it's about "being the thing to do" over and over again for those with money to burn (and parents to avoid).

20 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Sure. WW clearly has ground to make up. My argument is that it will. In fact, it's already started. Compare their respective domestic Day 5s (both a Tuesday):

Suicide Squad: $14.26 million

Wonder Woman: $14.34 million

That's a minuscule difference, but remarkable that WW's already pulled ahead on day 5, given that SS's day 1-3 cume was >30% larger.

Wed & Thurs were a wash but WW could beat SS 2nd weekend by $10MM

17 hours ago, phobalicious said:

Don't see the Titanic effect to any current movies or future unless it is a new technology or some new innovation. There are just too many options to choose outside of  going to theater, streaming option, 4k, 3D, HD, home theater setup, and the pleasure to enjoy at home any time. 1997 has no competition with today technologies. Same goes with Avatar, 1st 3D movie in theater made billions; all big budget movies now have 3D and they can't break a billion.

Agree. Titanic was an event. A month from now we will all be talking about the new Spider-Man movie. Wonder Woman was an awesome movie,but the days of a movie dominating long are gone.

Anybody remember how great Logan was? Same thing will happen with Wonder Woman.Today's crowd is fickle with short attention spans and after one or two weeks at the top the crowd moves on to the next flavor of month. The days of Jaws and Titanic dominating entire months are long gone unfortunately.

41 minutes ago, paperheart said:

Wed & Thurs were a wash but WW could beat SS 2nd weekend by $10MM

Fair. Looks like WW could absorb a 57% drop this weekend and still beat SS's 2nd weekend.

So it would have to play more like Guardians of the Galaxy or Winter Soldier than Captain America 1.

My guess is it will - because Wonder Woman's a bigger star than Cap (traditionally) and the film's far better reviewed.

In fact, I think Guardians is the best comp here - went from an under $100 million opening weekend to a $333 million domestic cume.

Box office preview: Wonder Woman prepares to bury The Mummy

With little in terms of major competition threatening the DCEU flick’s sky-high reign, Wonder Woman is in prime position to lasso a follow-up victory as Tom Cruise’s latest action-adventure, The Mummy, attempts to fend off a barrage of scathing reviews to set Universal’s Dark Universe off on the right foot.

1 – Wonder Woman — $54 million

As she preps for her second weekend in wide release, the legacy of Wonder Woman‘s (predominantly male) cinematic forerunners suggests she’s is looking at a sophomore slump in the 50-60 percent range; but, given the film’s overwhelming success with critics and audiences (the film received a rare A-grade on CinemaScore), the Patty Jenkins-directed blockbuster has taken on a new, timely significance in the pop cultural canon, and its follow-up performance on the North American chart will likely reflect that with a softer drop than her superhero peers.

2 – The Mummy — $28 million

Once a surefire bet for a box office hit, Cruise’s bankability as an action star has dwindled as the movie industry continues to shift around him. He remains, however, steadfast in his convictions, fronting genre entry after genre entry despite the domestic under-performance of recent films like Jack Reacher: Never Go Back, Oblivion, and Knight & Day.

The Mummy sees the Hollywood vet taking the reins of what could be Universal’s riskiest contemporary gamble yet, as the $125 million production — inspired by the studio’s classic back catalog of creature features and not, contrary to popular belief, a remake of the Brendan Fraser-led trilogy that bowed between 1999 and 2008 — sets sail against the iron-clad Wonder Woman‘s second go-round with audiences.

While negative reviews haven’t completely derailed Cruise’s pictures in the past, few of said releases have carried the weight currently resting on The Mummy‘s shoulders. With the future of the Dark Universe (films starring Johnny Depp as the Invisible Man and Javier Bardem as Frankenstein’s Monster are already in the works) riding on this picture’s success or failure, the film must latch on to foreign audiences at the very least, a feat similar action-intensive movies like The Great Wall ($286.8 million worldwide) and Warcraft ($386 million worldwide) achieved despite falling short of the $50 million mark domestically. There’s no denying Cruise’s global appeal, which likely resulted in the film’s Facebook page earning a strong 4 million likes since its inception (another indicator that The Mummy is headed toward a $25 million+ take), but there’s plenty of reasons to believe The Mummy could also be a high-profile flop.

3 – Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie — $14 million

Family-oriented offerings typically fare well with summer moviegoers, and Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie should be no exception while it plays through the month, likely more than doubling its so-so $23.9 million opening by the end of its run thanks to evergreen appeal (the film is based on a popular children’s book series). Expect a drop in the 40-50 percent range.

4 – It Comes At Night — $11 million

It’s been almost four months since a bonafide horror hit has played on movie screens worldwide when Jordan Peele’s directorial debut Get Out rocketed to the top of the domestic chart with an astounding $33.4 million start in February. A month earlier, M. Night Shyamalan catapulted Split to almost $140 million in the U.S. and Canada, with smaller-budgeted 2017 entries like Rings, The Belko Experiment, and The Bye Bye Man — while not exactly posting gangbuster returns — each clearing their respective budgets in terms of total receipts. Given those facts, horror as a whole is due for a seasonal hit, and that very well could be It Comes At Night, A24’s grim post-apocalyptic yarn that stars Kevin Harrison Jr., Joel Edgerton, Carmen Ejogo, Christopher Abbott, and Riley Keough.

5 – Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales — $10 million

After tumbling a painful 65 percent from week one to week two, Disney’s fifth Pirates of the Caribbean flick is poised to sink even further into the depths of box office obscurity in the days ahead, as both The Mummy, Wonder Woman, and It Comes At Night siphon away an even larger portion of its dwindling demographic. Still, the film has amassed over $500 million globally on a $230 million budget, meaning this franchise could set sail once again as the series has now collectively passed the $4 billion mark.

13.png

Once a surefire bet for a box office hit, Cruise’s bankability as an action star has dwindled as the movie industry continues to shift around him. He remains, however, steadfast in his convictions, fronting genre entry after genre entry despite the domestic under-performance of recent films like Jack Reacher: Never Go Back, Oblivion, and Knight & Day.

I don't doubt that The Mummy will bomb, but to blame it primarily on Cruise is specious.

Also, that list of "recent films" is cherry-picking like a .

1) Oblivion came out more than 4 years ago and ignores his successes with Edge of Tomorrow and Rogue Nation that are more recent.

2) Knight & Day came out nearly 7 full years ago. 

The writer had to work really hard to ignore literally half of Tom Cruise's movies of the last 8 years to write that sentence.

11 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

The writer had to work really hard to ignore literally half of Tom Cruise's movies of the last 8 years to write that sentence.

I liked his performances in Oblivion and Edge of Tomorrow. Ordered them early to rewatch these movies, they were so good. And I have definitely watched that Edge of Tomorrow blu-ray multiple times. And I don't care what they made at the box office to prove these were solid stories. They truly were REALLY GOOD MOVIES! Knight & Day is another surprise movie that was worth watching. And I was forced to watch it by my wife, and then realized I didn't want to stop watching.

Even a movie like War of the Worlds was worth watching. But in that case, this film did 4.5X production budget. So a definite hit financially.

On 6/7/2017 at 2:58 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Here's where I disagree - it won't catch Guardians but it can _certainly_ hold better (and stay in theaters longer) than SS.

Because that movie sucked donkey balls.

Also, there is zero chance that WW won't repeat at # 1 this weekend, smoking Tom Cruise's The Mummy.

Regardless of how you felt about that movie, Suicide Squad had higher than average hold over.  Wonder Woman won't be able to pass it.

33 minutes ago, rjrjr said:

Regardless of how you felt about that movie, Suicide Squad had higher than average hold over.  Wonder Woman won't be able to pass it.

SS had 2.4x multiple of opening weekend which is only higher than average if you consider BvS hysterically bad 2x multiple average. GOTG 3.4x,  DK 3.4x, Iron Man 3.2x, Ant-Man 3x, Avengers 3x, , DKR 2.8x, DP 2.7x, Cap 2.7x, C:WS 2.7x, Thor 2.7x, GOTG 2 2.6x, IM 2 2.4x, IM 3 2.3x,Cap:CW 2.3x.  WW will hit 3x, if it hits 3.2X it passes SS.

I enjoyed Suicide Squad. margot Robbie was great and I thought Jared Leto was excellent. But Wonder Woman will pass it easily. Have you heard anyone talk about it? My daughter is 17 and said that it was the movie she has been waiting her whole life to see. She was crying after the movie. My wife said that she got choked up when WW went over the top and led the charge. No one talks about SS like that. This movie has legs.

1 hour ago, Bird said:

I enjoyed Suicide Squad. margot Robbie was great and I thought Jared Leto was excellent. But Wonder Woman will pass it easily. Have you heard anyone talk about it? My daughter is 17 and said that it was the movie she has been waiting her whole life to see. She was crying after the movie. My wife said that she got choked up when WW went over the top and led the charge. No one talks about SS like that. This movie has legs.

I haven't seen it yet, but I agree it has legs.  It's transcending superhero action movie and hitting cultural values, wrapped in an unassailable package.  At least it seems that way from they way people are talking about it.

Finally got to see it tonight and I loved it. Even better, my HUSBAND loved it. He usually goes with me just to keep me company. Said it was the best of the Super Hero films (he hates the Batman movies).

I was not wild about Gal Godot in the beginning, but she nailed it. My only regret was ...

Spoiler

HOW could they kill off Steve Trevor! 

18 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Agree. Titanic was an event. A month from now we will all be talking about the new Spider-Man movie. Wonder Woman was an awesome movie,but the days of a movie dominating long are gone.

Anybody remember how great Logan was? Same thing will happen with Wonder Woman.Today's crowd is fickle with short attention spans and after one or two weeks at the top the crowd moves on to the next flavor of month. The days of Jaws and Titanic dominating entire months are long gone unfortunately.

I think it all depends on the competition.

If Titanic kept it's original release of the Summer of '97, I think it would have had a couple hundred million knocked off it's tally.

That was a big summer of movies.

During the winter it's only competition was As Good As It Gets, Good Will Hunting and Tomorrow Never Dies. As much as I loved the schlocky Deep Rising, it didn't have a chance, neither Palmetto.

We will have another Sixth Sense phenomenon again. It just needs to be at the right time and surrounded by a majority of turkeys.

I forgot about Palmetto. _Great_ movie.

And the argument that the era of a single movie dominating for weeks or months is over doesn't hold with me.

Sure, we may never have another Beverly Hills Cop (13 consecutive weeks at # 1) but Avatar fit the Titantic pattern as well in fairly recent memory -- 7 consecutive weeks at # 1.

I'm not saying WW will hit this by any stretch - it *may* be able to pull a Suicide Squad and do 3 consecutive weeks at # 1 -- but there will definitely be another movie that will capture the collective unconscience and rule for weeks and weeks.

Zzr6rlh.png

Deadline is now predicting a $52MM-$54MM weekend for Wonder Woman because 'The Mummy' is sooooooo bad. So it may be even less than 50% drop-off weekend.

zSYBVNf.png

This could match or beat Doctor Strange's Weekend #2 drop-off.