• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wonder Woman official movie thread (6/23/17)
6 6

1,526 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, F For Fake said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I was also surprised that they killed Steve off, but I guess it makes sense. This is probably the only "flashback" WW movie they'll make, since Justice League, Bats v Supes, etc are all set in the modern day. It wouldn't really work for Steve to still be around today as her love interest. So I guess they wanted to include the character in the movie mythos, but had to find a way to send him packing, so they gave him a big hero send off.

I had a few discussions with friends this weekend and we came up with a few guesses. 

Spoiler

One was that he comes back as his own great grandson (remember he had admitted to sleeping with women;)...but I came up with this one. 

Remember when he was in the cave in the bubbling water? That may have been the fountain of youth. Perhaps he became immortal there, parachuted out of the plane and is still around?

I'm dreaming because I enjoyed his role, unlike the prior Steve Trevors;)

1 hour ago, Gatsby77 said:

Fair, but this one's really worthy.

Also, while neither of them holds a candle to Wonder Woman, both Civil War and Doctor Strange are now on Netflix streaming.

agreed on doc strange, i'll take civil war by a nose.

Edited by Straw-Man

19 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

I had a few discussions with friends this weekend and we came up with a few guesses. 

Reveal hidden contents

One was that he comes back as his own great grandson (remember he had admitted to sleeping with women;)...but I came up with this one. 

Remember when he was in the cave in the bubbling water? That may have been the fountain of youth. Perhaps he became immortal there, parachuted out of the plane and is still around?

I'm dreaming because I enjoyed his role, unlike the prior Steve Trevors;)

Spoiler

I honestly hadn't even considered any of those possibilities! That'd be something to see. I know it'd make my wife happy if he came back. ha

28 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

lol

We shall see. The good ship Wonder Woman doesn't appear to have any ice bergs so far.

The old lady telling the 1910s story about when she was young lady who didn't have her mother's approval for the boy she liked and spent alone time together on a boat before some tragedies occurred that caused a lot of death and destruction, but there were some pretty dresses being worn at parties, and somehow she ended up in the current day with a round trinket and there was also a piece of paper from back-in-the-day where she was showing quite a bit more skin than was commonly shown in public at the time. 

Sounds just like... hm

lol

Edited by valiantman

30 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

agreed on doc strange, i'll take civil war by a nose.

Not even close for me.   CW was way more entertaining.   DS was a snoozer for me.   Both too long. 

Oh, and the fam & I will be making our contribution to WW's box office totals in the near future. 

I thought Civil War had its moments and was definitely better than Age of Ultron, but it was a definite step down from Winter Soldier.

Take out the superheroes, and Winter Soldier was a better espionage film than Jason Bourne, Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit, or Spectre.

18 minutes ago, valiantman said:

The old lady telling the 1910s story about when she was young lady who didn't have her mother's approval for the boy she liked and spent alone time together on a boat before some tragedies occurred that caused a lot of death and destruction, but there were some pretty dresses being worn at parties, and somehow she ended up in the current day with a round trinket and there was also a piece of paper from back-in-the-day where she was showing quite a bit more skin than was commonly shown in public at the time. 

Sounds just like... hm

lol

:golfclap:

22 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

Not even close for me.   CW was way more entertaining.   DS was a snoozer for me.   Both too long. 

Oh, and the fam & I will be making our contribution to WW's box office totals in the near future. 

the comparison was those two marvel movies v. wonder woman.  civil war by a nose over ww for me.

3 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

the comparison was those two marvel movies v. wonder woman.  civil war by a nose over ww for me.

Exactly.  Civil War... $400 million domestic.  Civil War had no pre-teen girls whose seats cost just as much as fanboy adults, no wives unless they get dragged to every superhero movie.  $400 million domestic without half the population.

WW is the new Titanic box office scenario.

1 hour ago, F For Fake said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I honestly hadn't even considered any of those possibilities! That'd be something to see. I know it'd make my wife happy if he came back. ha

Spoiler

I'm with your wife, I loved her, but he definitely adds something extra;)

49 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Sounds just like... hm

lol

Oh no....I hated the Titanic, I kept wanted him to let go of the raft so the movie would be over. My husband and daughter loved it, I was seriously thinking of leaving.

This was nothing like that dreadful overly long, overly mushy movie, I can't even stand the song, it makes me naseous.

Wonder Woman was a hero in this movie, not a love struck rich kid. She wanted to be strong from the time she was a child. Totally different in theme. 

23 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Exactly.  Civil War... $400 million domestic.  Civil War had no pre-teen girls whose seats cost just as much as fanboy adults, no wives unless they get dragged to every superhero movie.  $400 million domestic without half the population.

WW is the new Titanic box office scenario.

Maybe - but after 10 days Wonder Woman lags Civil War by 50%. I'd _love_ to see it hit $400 million domestic, but I don't see that math happening.

I'm just happy that they did right by the character and (finally) gave her a solid solo outing.

I also think that what we got from Patty Jenkins and crew is far better than what we would have gotten from Joss Whedon 7 years ago.

39 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

Ahhh...I clearly struggle with reading comprehension.   :tonofbricks:

I really liked the movie for the most part, thought the ending got a bit messy and convoluted.  My wife liked it too, but was put off a bit by the way the movie resolved vs the theme of women's empowerment.

Overall, very well done and worth watching, though to me just below the upper echelon of Marvel movies.  But light years better than any of the DCEU stuff. 

I'm not sure where they go for a sequel, but I for some reason hope it happens in the far future, like Wonderwoman 2099.  Either that, or Amazon Attacks. 

The final weekend numbers are in, and Wonder Woman's weekend-to-weekend drop-off (-43%) was actually lower than estimates had it at (-47%).

Bsg6dD6.png

Box Office: 'Wonder Woman' Nabs Smallest Superhero Drop Since 'Spider-Man

The final figures for Wonder Woman's blockbuster second weekend are in. The Gal Gadot-starring/Patty Jenkins-directed superhero adventure earned $58.63 million over its second Fri-Sun frame, bringing its ten-day domestic total to $206.53m in North America alone. That's the 24th-biggest second weekend, from the 40th-biggest opening weekend, which is impressive enough. And it's a bigger second weekend than the likes of Batman v Superman, Spider-Man 3,  every Harry Potter movie, Iron Man2 and The Passion of the Christ.

But the real news is how far it didn't fall from last weekend's blow-out debut. The $150 million-budgeted released opened with $100.3m in its debut weekend. So a final weekend total of $58.63m is a drop of just 43.2% in its second weekend. That's an insanely small drop for a superhero movie, for a mega-budget blockbuster and for a movie that opened with over $100m in its debut. Let's look at that number in a little more detail.

There are 46 movies that have opened with more than $100 million in that first Fri-Sun frame. Of those 46 movies, just four of them have dropped less than Wonder Woman did in their second weekend of release. Star Wars: The Force Awakens had the Christmas holiday at its back and fell just 39% from a record-crushing $248m debut in late 2015. Shrek 2 had the Memorial Day holiday and opened on a Wednesday, so that (somewhat) explains its obscenely tiny 33% drop from $108m to $72m in May 2004.

:applause:

54 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

Oh no....I hated the Titanic, I kept wanted him to let go of the raft so the movie would be over. My husband and daughter loved it, I was seriously thinking of leaving.

This was nothing like that dreadful overly long, overly mushy movie, I can't even stand the song, it makes me naseous.

Wonder Woman was a hero in this movie, not a love struck rich kid. She wanted to be strong from the time she was a child. Totally different in theme. 

Right.  Titanic had an "arranged marriage" female who went against her society and her mother's expectations to choose her life for herself.

Wonder Woman goes against her society and her mother's expectations to choose her life for herself... and save the world.

It's a new generation, and the message now includes saving the world.

One question about the movie I was thinking about. When she jumps off the building at the end in full battle gear...

Spoiler

...is that her heading off to the battle in Batman v Superman since now she comes across energized again about the beauty of life?

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

One question about the movie I was thinking about. When she jumps off the building at the end in full battle gear...

Reveal hidden contents

...is that her heading off to the battle in Batman v Superman since now she comes across energized again about the beauty of life?

Spoiler

I don't think so.  She joins the battle in Superman vs. Batman after getting off a plane that she had already boarded.