• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wonder Woman official movie thread (6/23/17)
6 6

1,526 posts in this topic

Lynda Carter appeared at the Library of Congress as a special event focused on comic books and how they have influenced boys and girls to read.

Lynda Carter Joins "Library of Awesome"

r1e8szd.png

The Library of Congress today announced that Lynda Carter, the famed actress known for her role as Wonder Woman, will appear at Library festivities celebrating the world of comics. 

The Library of Congress last week announced “Library of Awesome,” a pop-up exhibit featuring items from the Library’s comic-book collections presented in conjunction with “Awesome-Con,” Washington, D.C.’s annual convention of comics, cosplay and pop culture, on view Wednesday, June 14 – Saturday, June 17 on the first floor of the Thomas Jefferson Building, 10 First Street S.E., Washington D.C. Tickets are not required.

Librarian of Congress Carla Hayden will interview Carter, known for her role in the 1970s Wonder Woman television series, at 2 p.m. on Friday, June 16, in the Coolidge Auditorium of the Thomas Jefferson Building, located at 10 First Street S.E., Washington, D.C. Carter will discuss how her legendary character empowered generations of girls and boys.

As part of the event, Lynda Carter presented the Librarian of Congress - Carla Hayden - the original -script from the Wonder Woman movie, with a note from Patty Jenkins.

XTLu4D7.png

13 minutes ago, Kevin76 said:

She's a smoker, she's hiding it behind her chair.  

lol

Great eyes! Or, she had a beer that was not one of the supported sponsors of the movie.

:tink:

On 6/11/2017 at 2:00 PM, Bosco685 said:

75pwtjM.png

VYFAP9N.png

-29% drop-off by the third weekend. That's better than even Deadpool experienced. And it had the best 2016 drop-of results at that point in time.

Saw it on Saturday, with the Wife, and we both loved it!  One of the best Comic Book movies made in a very long time (not as good as the Dark Knight - but right up there with Winter Soldier, Iron Man 1, Avengers 1, etc.)

I hope that some of the Justice League re-shoots were to give Gal Gadot more screen time.

13 hours ago, Thawk said:

Despite the package of Natural American Spirits clearly visible on the table

Natural_American_Spirit_Light_Mellow_Tas

Ha, yeah, I'd key in on THAT as the smoking clue, rather than whatever is going on behind the chair.

Lauren Cohan Raves About Wonder Woman

lauren-cohan-wonder-woman-1003577-320x18

It's safe to say that Wonder Woman has made a cultural impact, with fans, critics, and celebrities alike expressing their love for the film. And now, another name that can be added to that ever-growing list - The Walking Dead's Lauren Cohan.

Cohan - best known for playing the badass Maggie on the popular AMC series - recently took to Twitter to praise Wonder Woman.

EzsOk7c.png

Box Office: 'Wonder Woman' Soars Past $300 Million Overseas

Wonder Woman is still playing like an animated juggernaut and Disney live-action fairy tale movie. I don't have the overseas figures, but since it was at $298.4 million on Sunday, I think I can safely proclaim that the film has earned over $300m outside of North America alone.  I'll have the official domestic numbers as soon as Warner Bros. provides them, but it looks like Wonder Woman earned around $3.5m-$3.8m in its third Monday, dropping just 43% to 41% from last Monday and bringing its 18-day total to just under $279m in North America.  In terms of third Monday drops, that's right in line with The Jungle Book (-42%), The Secret Life of Pets (-41%) and Maleficent (-43%).

That means it has earned around $581 million worldwide as of yesterday. So, barring a fluke in either direction, it should cross the $600 million+ global milestone on Thursday.

By the way, its worldwide cume on Sunday put it past the $571 million worldwide gross of Sam Taylor-Johnson's Fifty Shades of Grey (a 2D, R-rated erotic drama) to be the second-biggest live-action movie ever from a female director. By Friday, it'll have topped the $609.85 million global gross (in 2008 and sans 3D) of  Phyllida Lloyd's Mamma Mia! That means Patty Jenkins' Wonder Woman will be the biggest-grossing live-action movie ever from a female director. And once it passes Jennifer Yuh Nelson's Kung Fu Panda 2 ($665m in 2011), it'll be the very biggest movie ever helmed by a solo female director.

Edited by Bosco685

39 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

this is a good movie facing very little competition (Transformers coming soon? which will be ok but not a juggernaut anywhere but china), with the mummy crashing, cars 3 an average contender in a different genre, Pirates and Baywatch bombing, and GOTG2 doing well but tapering off.  So overall for this time of year, its facing avg to below avg competition in IMO and I think there will obviously far more women who watch this movie who otherwise wouldn't watch a comic movie then men lost who otherwise would watch but won't.  No REAL competition til despicable me 3 (sort of), June 30, but really not til Spiderman on July 7, which is AFTER the long weekend.

Additionally, there are probably still plenty of people like me who normally watch most comic movies the first weekend, but didn't get around to it yet because of tepid or unfavorable views of the last two DCEU movies who were waiting for good word of mouth on WW.  So they'll get around to it these next 3 weeks of summer when things are slower after graduations and father's days and summer break is really going.  Not to mention random teenagers who have nothing to do in summer and wouldn't mind an air conditioned afternoon.

I'd say the prognosis is good for WW, real good.

saw it this weekend in a packed theater. the first two acts were great, the third wasn't.  WW's first action scene in costume was thrilling. Chris Pine at the German gala speaking in English w/ a German accent to German characters was terrible; they should have dubbed in German w/ subtitles. The final battle was too CGI and too much. 

Don't know how much air Transformers will suck out of the BO this weekend but WW has a legitimate shot at $400MM US and US>Int'l

4 hours ago, paperheart said:

saw it this weekend in a packed theater. the first two acts were great, the third wasn't.  WW's first action scene in costume was thrilling. Chris Pine at the German gala speaking in English w/ a German accent to German characters was terrible; they should have dubbed in German w/ subtitles. The final battle was too CGI and too much. 

Don't know how much air Transformers will suck out of the BO this weekend but WW has a legitimate shot at $400MM US and US>Int'l

+1 I had forgotten about that moment (because I loved the movie so much), but that moment was HORRIBLE!  So dumb to have him speaking english there with a german accent.

12 hours ago, gadzukes said:

+1 I had forgotten about that moment (because I loved the movie so much), but that moment was HORRIBLE!  So dumb to have him speaking english there with a german accent.

There was a great interview with Kevin Costner about co-starring with Chris Pine a few years ago in Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit. Costner spoke about being a mentor to Pine because Pine basically was in the position that Costner was in 30 years ago -- good looking 6'1" white guy actor -- a generic leading man of limited acting skill but who would be offered a wide range of leading roles because he "looked the part."

Costner related that Pine was essentially aware of this (as shown in the "Chris's" skit on SNL recently), and accepted it, along with some other advice Costner had about successfully navigating a long career in Hollywood.

Me? I think Pine's done a great job of aligning himself with talent and stretching himself beyond Star Trek in roles like Wonder Woman, Into the Woods, and Unstoppable.

Looks like someone published doctored numbers the other day to inflame the next big DCEU blow-up concerning Gal Gadot being drastically under-paid because she was a woman.

FORBES.COM Box Office: 'Wonder Woman' Is About To Cross $600 Million Worldwide

The film has earned $5.45 million on its 19th day of domestic theatrical release (+13% from Monday, -38% from last Tuesday), bringing its domestic total to $285.354m thus far. That puts it over the $282m domestic gross of The Matrix Reloaded (in 2D and back in 2003), and it means the Gal Gadot origin story will be topping Henry Cavill's Superman origin story ($291m in 2013) today or tomorrow. Oh, and with $305m overseas as of Monday (so $590.54m worldwide plus whatever it made overseas on Tuesday), it'll probably cross $600m worldwide today or super-duper-early tomorrow. So yeah, just maybe, we can stop trying to find reasons to turn the movie into a victim?

This is something I've discussed before, but it came to a head yesterday when the entire Internet ran with a completely insane stat stating that Cavill had been paid $14 million to play Superman in Man of Steel while Gal Gadot had only received $300,000 for Wonder Woman. Now I don't have the exact numbers, but I'm told that both Cavill and Gadot got paid essentially the same for their respective first starring vehicles and that Gadot possibly got a little bit more (and Amy Adams certainly got more than Cavill for Man of Steel). Now the gender (and racial/ethnic) pay gap is a real thing in essentially every single professional industry, but did anyone ever stop and think about if that number made any sense at all?

Brendan Fraser, coming off The Mummy and George of the Jungle, got $12.5 million for The Mummy Returns in 2001. Daniel Radcliffe got around $20m per movie for the last two Harry Potter films. Jennifer Lawrence got $500,000 for the first Hunger Games and then got $10m for Catching Fire. Does it pass the smell test that a relatively untested actor, even one with an acclaimed TV show (The Tudors) and a solid action fantasy hit (Immortals) to his credit, would get $14m, or 28x what Robert Downey Jr. was paid for the first Iron Man, to play Superman in the first installment of a possible franchise?

Wonder Woman is about to cross $600 million worldwide, which makes it (by far) the most successful female-led comic book superhero movie ever made. And, give or take where it ends up, it may end its run as one of the very biggest female-led action movies of all time, behind the last two Star Wars movies and whichever Twilight or Hunger Games movies it can't quite catch.

12 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Looks like someone published doctored numbers the other day to inflame the next big DCEU blow-up concerning Gal Gadot being drastically under-paid because she was a woman.

FORBES.COM Box Office: 'Wonder Woman' Is About To Cross $600 Million Worldwide

Thing is, even though certainly sexism (and to some extent racial/ethnic/national issues) plays a significant  role, you never really know how the negotiation goes. 

Its no small thing to lead a movie.  I can foresee a situation where a very confident actor loves a -script so much and is so confident is willing to gamble on themselves and take a minimum salary and take more on the back end, or count on more for the second contract. or future fame.  And that could be the tipping point on becoming the choice for the role.  Especially one who otherwise will have a reasonable life as Gadot might have, and/or one who has some different perspectives on what really matters (maybe someone who has served in the military?) and risk. 

Now of course in hindsight it seems lame that Gadot got paid too little given the success of WW (and that she was the best part of BvS) and that the most obvious reason is 'sexism'.  But if you're a studio, you do the math and work with the numbers you have. But hopefully she actually ended up making more money on the back end of WW, and gets a monster contract for WW2.