• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Runaways (Complete) Set is, well, now complete!

23 posts in this topic

10 months, 3 pre-screens, and 75 9.8 comics later, I've now completed the Runaways (Complete) set in CGC 9.8. :banana:

http://comics.www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/SetTypeDetail.aspx?SetTypeID=3559

The last few books arrived from CGC yesterday. Volume 1 #10, Volume 3 #11, and Marvel Must Haves: Sentinel & Runaways were the last three needed to complete the set. I submitted all but 2 of the 75 books in the set myself; I estimate going through at least 20 sets each of all three volumes to find the best copies to submit. Even though it took me 10 months from start to finish, it sure seemed longer what with long TAT times during con season and my inherent impatience.

:insane:

I have another box on the way from CGC and its contents will help me complete "satellite series" Avengers Arena, Avengers Undercover, and The Loners. My most recent submissions also completed my custom Runaways Appearances set which features cross-overs into other titles not featured in the Runaways (Complete) set:

https://comics.www.collectors-society.com/WCM/ComicCustomSetView.aspx?s=16884

It feels great to finish this run of one of my all-time favorite series. I wasn't sure if it could be done since so many of these books have major production flaws, but I'm glad I proved myself wrong.

So what's next? Nothing! lol There will be no more long runs in my CGC collecting future until Marvel decides to revive Runaways for another go-around. Until then, I'll just bask in the glory of this accomplishment.

I guess you like Runaways? :)

nice set...looks like a labor of love. I have never read it...will have to try a tpb.

:o You should definitely give it a try. Great read. Marvel is in the midst of re-releasing the complete run in TPB form, so now is a great time to jump on board.

I actually started off buying these and Sentinel Salvage for my kids when they first came out. Then I made the mistake of reading it and got hooked. Tremendously good books imo.

It is a shame Sean McKeever can't seem to catch on with a title. He writes some interesting books- Sentinel being one of them.

PS: I've never read Runaways either. I might need to check it out. hm

So per this thread, I picked up the first Ultimate Collection of Runaways. I have to say that I don't love it. I'm sort of surprised. It seems a slow started and about a bunch of whiny brats that don't really do anything. I've probably read the first 6 or 7 issues.

Does it get better or am I just dead inside?

So per this thread, I picked up the first Ultimate Collection of Runaways. I have to say that I don't love it. I'm sort of surprised. It seems a slow started and about a bunch of whiny brats that don't really do anything. I've probably read the first 6 or 7 issues.

Does it get better or am I just dead inside?

You are dead inside. lol

The story gets going if you stick with it. I think BKV hits his stride in the second half of volume 1 and carries it through the end of his volume 2 run.

Is there much demand for the series? I have a run in a collection I snagged last summer some place and was going to put them out in the $1 boxes.

I think we all have that one or two series in our collections that really got to us. For him it is this one regardless of the monetary value. For me its the X-Force which besides two books that recently became popular have no real high dollar value.

Collect what you love man and let the rest fall to the side. Congratulations on such an amazing achievement. Just recently I completed the X-Men Fatal Attractions Set in all 9.8 and am now going for an all signed set now.

Is there much demand for the series? I have a run in a collection I snagged last summer some place and was going to put them out in the $1 boxes.

I think we all have that one or two series in our collections that really got to us. For him it is this one regardless of the monetary value. For me its the X-Force which besides two books that recently became popular have no real high dollar value.

Collect what you love man and let the rest fall to the side. Congratulations on such an amazing achievement. Just recently I completed the X-Men Fatal Attractions Set in all 9.8 and am now going for an all signed set now.

Yep.

I own a ton of 'worthless' slabs, but to me, they are priceless.

PCs are all about your love of the hobby, not dollar signs.

I've found that the 'worthless' ones can be much, much harder to find. Sure, they're sitting out there in people's collections, but most of the time no one bothers to put them up for sell so you're stuck hoping to stumble across one in high grade in a dollar box.

Since I collect mostly 90's drek I have noticed its been increasingly harder to find anything even worth sending in. After all of the 90's drek bashing and how many times people get shot down at brick and mortars to sell these 9.2 - 9.4 has been a common place for me every time I track one or two down. While I want a full run of all 9.8's I'm currently at a point where maybe lower is ok as long as its signed. Still looking for them but man has it been hard.