• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amor y Cohetes - Los Bros Hernandez Love & Rockets Appreciation thread

18 posts in this topic

:hi:

Those who know me, know that one of my favorite series has been Love & Rockets by the Brothers Hernandez (Beto, Jaime, Mario). I've been reading Love + Rockets since I was 16 year old. I first heard about the series and instantly I was intrigued. As soon as I could I went to my local comic shop (Comic Kingdom in Chicago) and picked up the only issue they had #29.

This is not my original copy, I gave that one away but got a second in a collection I picked up years later - more on that later.

I recently had Beto sign it - more on that later

COMIC100_zps67191fce.jpeg

The cover art threw me completely off as did the size (magazine). I had grown up reading ASM + X-Men and the occasional Archie comic but this was completely different. I had heard that there were lots of adult themes in the book but the cover represented none of that. Suffice to say I took a chance on it, or rather had my brother take a chance at it since I under 18 and the shop owner refused to sell it to me.

I read it on the way home and while I want to say I instantly fell in love, I did not. I wanted to read more but I wasn't hooked yet.

I continued to buy the regular series and began to pick up the trades. By issue #33 I was hooked.

So I am hoping that this thread will expose more of their work to those who haven't heard or read the series. I would also like those who are familiar with their work to post their thoughts, any experiences they've had meeting the Bros, any artwork they have, basically anything Hernandez related is fair game.

In addition, I picked up a set of trades recently (1-15) that I will make available to anyone interested in reading the series. I'll be picking more up on eBay if they are cheap enough (usually are). The L+R library is open to anyone who would like to read about the series. I'll post any rules etc regarding the L+R trades in the next post along with the wait list.

getting a new set of trades to make it better/easier to read

Edited by jsilverjanet

L+R Library

*RULES

No HOS or Probation Board members

Can only have 2 books out at one time.

I have the right of refusal to ship the book(s) to anyone I choose to :sorry:

Rules can change at anytime

The most important rule - please pay attention

You do not have to pay to ship the books to you, but you must pay to ship back to me or to the next boardie on the list.

getting a new set of trades that makes it easier/better to read

WAIT LIST

Edited by jsilverjanet

I got this on the boards - Love and Rockets #1 Black + White.

Jimmy Linguini was asking about it and after a few PMs the book was on it's way to me. I never thought I'd ever own a copy of this book.

About 800 of these were made. Here's some more info from www.recalledcomics.com

This was a pioneering and influential black & white anthology comic produced and self-published by brothers Jamie and Gilbert Hernandez, with help from another brother, Mario (known collectively as Los Bros Hernandez).

Although the first issue was printed (rather than photocopied), the brothers had to organize, fold and staple all the pages for all 800 copies!

rest of the article can be found here

http://www.recalledcomics.com/LoveAndRockets1.php

17ec7ebb-9285-443d-9902-e032c6e7c946_zpse21bec5c.jpg

HarveySwick did my signature line which includes the black and white #1 as well as this piece. I picked this up from a Heritage Auction. I paid quite a bit but again well worth it.

here's info on the piece

Jaime Hernandez Love and Rockets "100 Rooms" Splash Page Original Art (Fantagraphics, 1986). As originally printed in Love and Rockets #4 (1983), Jaime's "100 Rooms" was the story that really started getting to the heart of his Locas characters. This incredible splash page featuring a nightgown-wearing Maggie was done later, for an expanded version of the story as presented in Chelo's Burden, the second L&R book collection. Ink and graphite on Bristol board, with an image area of 10" x 15". Excellent condition.

lf-1_zps011e9725.jpg

HarveySwick did my signature line which includes the black and white #1 as well as this piece. I picked this up from a Heritage Auction. I paid quite a bit but again well worth it.

here's info on the piece

Jaime Hernandez Love and Rockets "100 Rooms" Splash Page Original Art (Fantagraphics, 1986). As originally printed in Love and Rockets #4 (1983), Jaime's "100 Rooms" was the story that really started getting to the heart of his Locas characters. This incredible splash page featuring a nightgown-wearing Maggie was done later, for an expanded version of the story as presented in Chelo's Burden, the second L&R book collection. Ink and graphite on Bristol board, with an image area of 10" x 15". Excellent condition.

lf-1_zps011e9725.jpg

What a great thread, and what a beautiful piece! I hope to one day own a published original, but in the meantime all I have is a quick Luba sketch from Beto that I got at SDCC in '98. It's the one and only time I made it out to California, but it was worth it to chat with Xaime, Beto, Chris Ware, Seth, Archer Prewitt, and so many great folks.

Here's my Luba:

2s99j6s.jpg

Just a quick sketch but it means a lot to me. I also got some sigs on a few books (including my very well-worn "Music for Mechanics" tpb).

Best comic series ever? Best comic series ever.

:news: Got a new set of the easier to read trades from Darth Corgi (worship) so I'm reopening this appreciation thread :news:

L+R Library

*RULES

No HOS or Probation Board members

Can only have 1 set of books out at one time. Example Xaime set or Beto set

I have the right of refusal to ship the book(s) to anyone I choose to :sorry:

Rules can change at anytime

The most important rule - please pay attention

You do not have to pay to ship the books to you, but you must pay to ship back to me or to the next boardie on the list.

Xaime set*

Maggie the Mechanic (Jaime Vol.1)

The Girl from H.O.P.P.E.R.S. (Jaime Vol. 2)

Perla La Loca (Jaime Vol. 3)

7A2D6C10-428E-4259-8CDC-2FEFCCC20B98_zpsxcc2j4nt.jpg

Beto Set*

Heartbreak Soup (Gilbert Vol. 1)

Human Diastrophism (Gilbert Vol. 2)

Beyond Palomar (Gilbert Vol. 3)

64EF4894-8351-42A0-9ED4-793D05558822_zpshqe3gvnz.jpg

*still working on getting the 4th and 5th volumes for both sets

Penny Century (Jaime Vol. 4)

Esperanza (Jaime Vol. 5)

Luba and Her Family (Gilbert Vol. 4)

Ofelia (Gilbert Vol. 5)

WAIT LIST

1. HarveySwick - Xaime set

Hello!

Thanks for creating this thread! Really cool stuff!

I'm just wondering if anyone is familiar with this comic. Crime Stoppers of America. Sold by Beto at the 2002 San Diego Con. It's limited edition 30 copies with a sketch and signature by Beto on the inside cover.  Any idea on the value? 

Thanks again!

20180723_154503.jpg

47 minutes ago, captain_em said:

Hello!

Thanks for creating this thread! Really cool stuff!

I'm just wondering if anyone is familiar with this comic. Crime Stoppers of America. Sold by Beto at the 2002 San Diego Con. It's limited edition 30 copies with a sketch and signature by Beto on the inside cover.  Any idea on the value? 

Thanks again!

20180723_154503.jpg

Wow! I don't know anything about it, but I love it!

Since the thread got bumped, I posted these over in CG, but may as well drop them here as well.

One of my oldest and closest friends is selling all of his stuff, or rather, having me sell it for him. Some of it I'm buying directly from him for my personal collection, including all of this stuff. I bought each of these off the racks myself as they were released, but they were lost in "the dark age", when i had to let my collection go. And since then, I've just never bothered to hunt them down and pick them up again. (I do have most of these stories, if not all, in the various HC's, trades, etc.) SO, it was super nice to help a friend out AND get this huge chunk of Los Bros goodness knocked out all in one fell swoop. Now I just need the remaining first half of the magazine run, and I'll be pretty close to having my collection back! (Also picked up some beautiful Chris Ware and Paul Pope stuff.)

Photo Oct 14, 9 14 17 PM.jpg

Photo Oct 14, 9 17 36 PM.jpg