• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A.K.A. Jessica Jones on Netflix (11/20/15)
3 3

840 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

I must be watching a different show. We like it. Also note that Patsy Walker may have just taken a turn in episode 3.

You must be seeing the .05 additional version.

:baiting:

No, I am not liking it compared to Season 1. Sorry that doesn't match your experience, so therefore we are watching a different show.

My husband loved the first season, I was not as impressed. I found it very dark. This time they have given Malcolm (sp) more of a part and I like that. Patsy has some more screen time.

I'll see what I think when I finish.

So far, I still like Daredevil season 1 the best.

I find the shows entertaining, I'm not looking for Gone with the Wind;)

Daredevil Season 1 and 2 are still tops for me. Followed by Luke Cage Season 1.

Now as far as looking for 'Gone with the Wind' - not sure that is my high-bar for entertaining comic book TV shows. lol

But definitely a little more excitement and character backstory buildup. And I am not sure it is Krysten Ritter, which some have pointed out not caring for her. I'm okay with her in this role. I think it is the story itself so far.

2 minutes ago, letsgrumble said:

After two episodes, I’m thinking...

Just Imagine Stan Lee’s Sex in the City = Jessica Jones

It gets better, lol...although I didn't even think of it like that in the beginning. We are up to episode 6.

6 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

It gets better, lol...although I didn't even think of it like that in the beginning. We are up to episode 6.

I'll have to push forward than, as the first two episodes are where I stopped right now.

It's part of the risk when you have shows with 10-13 episodes, where you need to grab the audience attention fairly quickly. Even tougher with all the shows that are out right now where it is too easy to jump to something else new.

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

I'll have to push forward than, as the first two episodes are where I stopped right now.

It's part of the risk when you have shows with 10-13 episodes, where you need to grab the audience attention fairly quickly. Even tougher with all the shows that are out right now where it is too easy to jump to something else new.

I was reading the recaps in Bleeding Cool of what I've seen so far. The reviewer also thinks that this is an even better season so far. I would have watched a few more last night, but my husband wanted to go to sleep and he didn't want to miss them.

I think the character development is better. I liked Tennent last season, but the Purple man was kind of overwhelming to me. 

3 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

I was reading the recaps in Bleeding Cool of what I've seen so far. The reviewer also thinks that this is an even better season so far. I would have watched a few more last night, but my husband wanted to go to sleep and he didn't want to miss them.

I think the character development is better. I liked Tennent last season, but the Purple man was kind of overwhelming to me.

I was reading a few of the reviews after watching the first episode. The Guardian categorizes this season as "The finale of season one set the bar high – but a slow and flabby start to the second is slightly worrying." So that's where these short season shows need to be careful.

I'll soldier on, as I did appreciate Season one.

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I was reading a few of the reviews after watching the first episode. The Guardian categorizes this season as "The finale of season one set the bar high – but a slow and flabby start to the second is slightly worrying." So that's where these short season shows need to be careful.

I'll soldier on, as I did appreciate Season one.

I think of these as one REALLY long movie...

I'd try to watch in 1 or 2 days if my partner would let me, lol;)  We have different ideas about sleep;) and they shouldn't post these during tax season;) 

The additional challenge with Jessica Jones is due to her horrible experiences being controlled by The Purple Man, she is so self-destructive. When she walks out of the bar in Episode Two and the guy calls out, "Nice a&@" you think she is going to punch him out as a powerful woman. No, she takes the guy and has sex with him in the men's room.

It's definitely more real-world. And you feel for her. But it can be a slight hurdle liking the character.

Jessica Jones season 2 review: What the critics are saying about the Netflix show starring Krysten Ritter

• The Guardian gave the new season three stars out of five, commenting: “The finale of season one set the bar high – but a slow and flabby start to the second is slightly worrying”.
  • Entertainment Weekly similarly wasn’t a fan of the opening episodes; describing the new season as a “slow-starting mess”.
  • The Telegraph gave the show’s second season four stars and said: “The show does what every good comic book story should: uses a fake world to shine a light on real human problems”. However, the reviewer did add that “each episode builds to a climax that never quite materializes”.
  • The Hollywood Reporter said the absence of David Tennant’s season 1 villain Kilgrave, noting: “Krysten Ritter remains superb, but the new season initially lacks the narrative momentum brought by [Kilgrave].”
  • The Verge agreed with the Hollywood Reporter, writing: ”Without a clear villain in the early going, the show revolves around less compelling plot lines and dour confrontations.”
  • The New York Times said season 2 was “a presciently timed herald of the #MeToo-Time’s Up revolution”, but agreed that Tennant is sorely missed, suggesting “the early episodes of the season make a lot of room for fairly static character development, with proportionally less attention paid to the traditional genre pleasures, like atmosphere and action, which were central to the first season’s invigorating noir-superhero synthesis”.

2 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Anybody see Jessica jones as a modern day Nancy Drew? A couple of females have pointed this out to me. They told me she is their generation's Nancy Drew.

hm

I'll have to go back and check if Nancy Drew was slamming someone in the men's room for telling her "Nice a*#!"

:baiting:

Edited by Bosco685

7 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Anybody see Jessica jones as a modern day Nancy Drew? A couple of females have pointed this out to me. They told me she is their generation's Nancy Drew.

hm

Is Luke Cage Ned Nickerson? 

Nancy Drew was a teenage detective who was unconventional for her time. She didn't really do anything that would wow anyone in my generation, maybe my mother's.

I see Jessica as a screwed up smart woman who is strong enough not to have to take along a guy to do the heavy work while she is investigating.  That's kind of neat from my perspective.  The violence, not so much, but she is trying to temper it a bit later on. It's Patsy who is really evolving. 

24 minutes ago, kagenish said:

i gotta say this season is a big improvement over last season but DD s1 & s2 are still the top dogs to beat.

With now 2 quality seasons I am beginning to think that her first appearance right now is undervalued for long-term growth.

Her first appearance could be a keeper as she continues to gain new fans. 

Alias #1

Edited by ComicConnoisseur