• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The official J Scott Campbell Appreciation/Discussion Thread
12 12

4,765 posts in this topic

On 3/16/2018 at 3:18 PM, Insanity said:

Well they did it with nick fury so if the actress playing domino does a awesome job there might be a reality where she would be black.
Have we seen what domino looks like pre mutation?

Not quite the same case with Nick Fury.  Ultimate (Samuel L. Jackson) Nick Fury preceded the MCU.  The story I heard was that Marvel asked if they could model the character after Sam and he agreed as long as he got to play the character in any movies.

A better analogy would have been Tessa Thompson's Valkyrie in Thor: Ragnarok who got her own version of the character in the comics as a result of the success of the movie.

13 hours ago, Doktor said:

Signed 4-pack lasted about 30 minutes. Unsigned lasted under 10. I got mine in under 2 minutes. I'm getting good at it. But I think I might take a break now. 

Thanks for the info! Interesting that it's the unsigned packs that sell out first. I would have thought that signed packs would be the hotter item. But I guess if you're wanting to CGC, unsigned is probably the way to go so you don't get a Qualified grade.

3 hours ago, PerlAddict said:

Thanks for the info! Interesting that it's the unsigned packs that sell out first. I would have thought that signed packs would be the hotter item. But I guess if you're wanting to CGC, unsigned is probably the way to go so you don't get a Qualified grade.

that's my thought as well. Anyone that's going to flip is going to probably want to slab & get either a legit yellow label by getting him to sign it via a facilitator or at least get a blue label. I know that's why I go for unsigned. When/If I grade and/or sell, I want either blue or yellow label.

5 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

Not quite the same case with Nick Fury.  Ultimate (Samuel L. Jackson) Nick Fury preceded the MCU.  The story I heard was that Marvel asked if they could model the character after Sam and he agreed as long as he got to play the character in any movies.

A better analogy would have been Tessa Thompson's Valkyrie in Thor: Ragnarok who got her own version of the character in the comics as a result of the success of the movie.

That's actually a little backwards. Sam Jackson found out after Hitch had already used him as the model in the Ultimates & basically he said "as long as I get to play him in the movie, I don't care" when he was asked about it about 6 months after it happened. To my knowledge, Hitch didn't ask permission before loosely modeling Ultimate Fury after Sam Jackson. But that's just me being pedantic & trivial.

13 hours ago, Doktor said:

I remember seeing some guy with 2 of these at exactly this same grade up on ebay about 3-4 years ago at around $1100 or so (I think it was each, but maybe it was the pair? I don't remember) & I thought it was kinda nuts. Now, I'd pretty much jump on that. And now I think I'm nuts.

Here's a raw one you can play on... (don't see these raw too often)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-Uncanny-X-Men-510-J-Scott-Campbell-Pyslocke-Sketch-Variant-Ultra-Rare/162953644720?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D50527%26meid%3D0f0209e9867b45c7b573e3c60325fa56%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D132537422365%26itm%3D162953644720&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

-J.

31 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Yeah. I saw that one the other day... Thank you though!  If I had the spare scratch, I'd consider it. But I think I need to replace a toilet & possibly the floor in my bathroom. 

14 hours ago, Doktor said:

I remember seeing some guy with 2 of these at exactly this same grade up on ebay about 3-4 years ago at around $1100 or so (I think it was each, but maybe it was the pair? I don't remember) & I thought it was kinda nuts. Now, I'd pretty much jump on that. And now I think I'm nuts.

14 hours ago, Doktor said:

37 watchers on that raw copy. Hard to tell  if the book is a 9.8 candidate though.

14 minutes ago, jreezy said:

37 watchers on that raw copy. Hard to tell  if the book is a 9.8 candidate though.

Upper left corner has some damage 1/2" down the spine & it looks like some dirt/staining along top 1/2 of the spine too. Could press & dry-clean out But dunno. 

2 hours ago, Doktor said:

Upper left corner has some damage 1/2" down the spine & it looks like some dirt/staining along top 1/2 of the spine too. Could press & dry-clean out But dunno. 

How can you tell based on those pics? I must have bad eyes lol 

6 hours ago, jreezy said:

How can you tell based on those pics? I must have bad eyes lol 

Good eyes? Or I don't know. I was looking at it on my laptop & not my phone, maybe that helped? I'm not sure. lol I just noticed that there was a faint but present shadow of a crease just below the top corner on the spine & maybe the discoloration is shadow from the side of the top loader, but there's definitely a tiny bit of discoloration on the top few inches of the spine in addition to that crease.

Speaking of "hot JSC"...

A run was made on every single copy of ASM 688 on ebay.  The guy who managed to get that 9.8 beforehand got the sweetheart deal of the year:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=Amazing+Spider-Man+688&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&LH_Sold=1&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo=200&_udhi=1%2C000%2C000&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=91604&_sargn=-1%26saslc%3D1&_salic=1&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=200&LH_Complete=1

-J.