• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The official J Scott Campbell Appreciation/Discussion Thread
12 12

4,765 posts in this topic

His Unsigned Con Exclusives always sell out first but he refuses to have any unsigned in his road show....Actually saw 2 people walk away and not buy the New Mutants at Awesome Con because they only had signed copies

I bought 2 unsigned sets today...think this was one of his better sets

I really didn’t like the ladies covers (MJ, Gwen and BlackCat). I always felt there more of an eye candy than anything else. Plus JSC is I think the only one that draw frackers on MJ (what’s up with that). 

34 minutes ago, jason4 said:

I wonder how many went into actual collections vs flippers

A lot of people flip due to him only selling in sets. I only wanted 4 of the covers but had to buy some I didn't want due to how they're broken down in the sets, so I'll be selling the ones I didn't want and was forced to buy. 

Plus based on the comments here from people that bought 2 of the same set, or using multiple emails to get even more than their alotted 2. Not sure why people do this as it's hard just to barely break even on his web store covers. Except for the occasional exception, they don't sell for a big markup on ebay. For every one that went for over $50, there are many more times that sitting unsold when priced at break even cost. 

Edited by Oat Willy1

Correction:  Multiple email accounts were not required to make multiple orders.  One could feasibly make multiple separate orders on the same account.  (but only one VIP discount code could be used per account)

14 hours ago, Oat Willy1 said:

A lot of people flip due to him only selling in sets. I only wanted 4 of the covers but had to buy some I didn't want due to how they're broken down in the sets, so I'll be selling the ones I didn't want and was forced to buy. 

Plus based on the comments here from people that bought 2 of the same set, or using multiple emails to get even more than their alotted 2. Not sure why people do this as it's hard just to barely break even on his web store covers. Except for the occasional exception, they don't sell for a big markup on ebay. For every one that went for over $50, there are many more times that sitting unsold when priced at break even cost. 

I sold out of all of my sets and most of the singles at the Calgary Expo a couple of weekends ago (just one or two of Josie and Betty & Veronica left), some of which had been sitting for a year or two. The reason - there was a JSC booth at the show selling his exclusives and they were priced at double or more than what I have always been charging for my extras. I had people drop by my booth to price check, go to his store booth, then come back and hand over their $$$ to me. lol 

On 5/5/2018 at 11:22 AM, ExNihilo said:

I feel like I was lulled into a false sense of security by his last few offerings because I don't recall them selling out nearly this fast.  The Phoenix Resurrection sets (all but the unsigned ultra set) for example were up for hours.

Domino #1 sold out super fast. So did the Ultra Danger Girl: 20th set. The signed ASM: Renew Your Vows set sold out in just a few minutes, too. New Mutants: Dead Souls took just a little bit longer, from what I recall, but that was the first set I tried to buy and the Ultra set was gone while I had it in my cart and was messing around browsing the site.

Wish I had gotten the Phoenix: Resurrection  when it was sold by him with the 15% off discount code. He's reposted it a couple of times recently, but it's been $290 plus shipping for the signed sets from his site. From what I recall, the original listing was $210 for the signed set minus 15% if you had a code. I had to piece my 8-cover set together from a couple of eBay sellers and managed to get it for $270. Still $100 over original retail, but better than what it could have been.

On 5/5/2018 at 9:16 AM, kimik said:

Not a bad morning for Mr. Campbell. Wake up, hit the shower, and do $250K+ in sales in 15 minutes? lol 

Is there any other modern artist that can sell out books on a regular basis like JSC? I stopped buying his recent stuff because there were so many coming out and  it was getting expensive. lol 

10 hours ago, jreezy said:

Is there any other modern artist that can sell out books on a regular basis like JSC? I stopped buying his recent stuff because there were so many coming out and  it was getting expensive. lol 

Dell'Otto and maybe Parillo but I think their sellouts have more to do with the manufactured rarity of those sets (i.e. 600 offered, the rest "destroyed").  JSC may be the only one that can create 3 different variants of basically the same exact cover with only minor changes and 8 different covers for a single issue variant and sell out in seconds. 

This last one was absurd.  I've learned that his ASM variants sell out in less than 5 minutes from previous sales so I was ready but was planning on picking up some extras in case some of the ones that arrived came damaged like last time. I placed my first order maxed out at 2 unsigned sets which gives me 1 to keep raw and 1 to have graded.  I completed that order in less than 1 minute and was in the process of purchasing the next 2 "safety" sets when it showed item no longer available.  I went back and bought the only remaining unsigned 4 pack set.  Everything else including signed sets had already sold out by the 2 minute mark.  I am glad that he has restricted it to just 2 orders per account at a time which does help others get a set if they are fast enough but I feel that the software purchase bots are going to defeat that effort. 

He's making money and the prices will keep going up because fans and flippers will be forced to pay whatever it takes to get a copy at their floor price point or have to buy it for more 2nd hand until people realize they can't afford it anymore.  JSC, please don't get any ideas but I would not be surprised to see sets up to $100/issue at some point and there will still be people who will buy it.

11 hours ago, jreezy said:

Misleading.  Limited print runs will sell out for any popular artist.  You have to look at his regular runs.  Let's see him take on McFarlane's Spider-Man #1 or Jim Lee's X-Men #1 numbers.  That would then be impressive.

I am still skeptical that he sold a large percentage online. I know they keep some back for his booth, but I bet we would be surprised at the number. I think they want to make sure they "sell out" online so they create demand and can charge more at their booth for conventions. So, there are more out there than we think. Some time back, these were not selling out, then all of a sudden, they were selling out. I think they changed their strategy when they had books sitting on the site (and at their booth).

So this might be a really dumb question, but does anyone know the order ratios on the upcoming JSC variants (regular A & B, Virgin A & B) for this X-Classified #1 that's coming? It's a diamond orderable & I'm really debating whether I want to pre-order any of them but I haven't been able to find the order ratios. Or if it's a threshold or whatever.