• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The official J Scott Campbell Appreciation/Discussion Thread
12 12

4,765 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

Can 2nd this.  I paid an extra $30 per book and then spent the entire weekend trying to get justification from CGC and from JSC.  It makes no sense to me that someone could buy an unsigned book for $20 and then another $30 for a signature, while someone else is paying $40 for a pre-signed copy of the exact book and then has to pay $30 on top of that.  It's really soured me on the JSC books I've bought and is really making me second guess any future purchases from the site (or from his booth).

I went the other way with my purchase, once they told me about the $30 CGC tax. Realistically, I had budgeted myself to purchase and submit 10 books or so. Instead, I wound up buying 2 books and didn't even bother to submit them to CGC. If JSC continues with this practice, I probably won't be purchasing as much stuff moving forward. Based on the brisk sales of this booth all weekend, I'm pretty sure he's not hurting for my business.

Did anybody get the 1:25 variant for Amazing Spider-Man #2? What are everyones thoughts on it? Personally i loved the cover and had to pick it up. I try not to fall for the hype on JSC covers but damn this cover i just couldn't resist.....

2 hours ago, Awax said:

Just go buy them from Dre. They are guaranteed to be a 9.8 and you have more time to roam whatever convention you are at. 

This,

guaranteed grade? check! 

Don't have to wait in line? Check! 

Don't get rolled on random unexpected fees? Check!

Excellent customer service? Check!

Its also lessens the blow that you can pay for the comics well beforehand, as opposed to the day of the convention.  I get that its all the same money, but it doesn't feel like as much.  That has value too.

44 minutes ago, DarkPhantom13 said:

Did anybody get the 1:25 variant for Amazing Spider-Man #2? What are everyones thoughts on it? Personally i loved the cover and had to pick it up. I try not to fall for the hype on JSC covers but damn this cover i just couldn't resist.....

I'm seriously debating it, and at $30, it's not too bad (yet). This is a fantastic cover, and it would be for PC, but I'm curious how the value would hold up (never paid much attention to JSC values).

Edit: looks like there will be a signed copy available from JSC store, probably around $58 if its like the others there. Whats your thoughts on that vs an unsigned copy?

Edited by Xenuprime

18 minutes ago, revat said:

This,

guaranteed grade? check! 

Its also lessens the blow that you can pay for the comics well beforehand, as opposed to the day of the convention.  I get that its all the same money, but it doesn't feel like as much.  That has value too.

Yeah, but you're looking at a difference between $2,800 and $1,100.  Do I really need a set of 9.8s?  Or is $1,700 and a set of 9.6's going to make me happier?  I've bought from Dre before and will absolutely be going back to buy more in the future, but in this case when you have to weigh buying a multiple of 9, cost becomes a factor.

Now, if you were only interested in buying one book, then yeah Dre probably would have been the way to go.  If anything, it's far less stressful when you know exactly what you're paying and what you're getting.  It sounds like the extra $30/book related to the CGC signature rate surprised quite a few people.

1 minute ago, ExNihilo said:
29 minutes ago, revat said:

This,

guaranteed grade? check! 

Yeah, but you're looking at a difference between $2,800 and $1,100.  Do I really need a set of 9.8s?  Or is $1,700 and a set of 9.6's going to make me happier?  I've bought from Dre before and will absolutely be going back to buy more in the future, but in this case when you have to weigh buying a multiple of 9, cost becomes a factor.

Now, if you were only interested in buying one book, then yeah Dre probably would have been the way to go.  If anything, it's far less stressful when you know exactly what you're paying and what you're getting.  It sounds like the extra $30/book related to the CGC signature rate surprised quite a few people.

Yah the internal math for everyone is different for sure.  Although I bet that if JSC actually had 30-40 people tell him how dumb and unfair (politely of course) the practice was during a given day at comic-con, he might actually reconsider.  BUT the actual number of people affected are small, and the amount people willing to speak up about it even smaller, and the number of people able to make a convincing clear argument quickly/tersely even smaller than that.  For all those that are affected and actually feel like it might impact your future financial decisions with JSC, maybe consider writing him a well-written message/email/tweet.

1 minute ago, revat said:

Yah the internal math for everyone is different for sure.  Although I bet that if JSC actually had 30-40 people tell him how dumb and unfair (politely of course) the practice was during a given day at comic-con, he might actually reconsider.  BUT the actual number of people affected are small, and the amount people willing to speak up about it even smaller, and the number of people able to make a convincing clear argument quickly/tersely even smaller than that.  For all those that are affected and actually feel like it might impact your future financial decisions with JSC, maybe consider writing him a well-written message/email/tweet.

Agreed.  By all accounts, his table was packed the entire convention.  And you're right, the number of people who spoke up are probably very small.  I imagine the rush of SDCC probably compelled a lot of people to just say "eff it" and move on to whatever they wanted to see/do next at the convention.  As a result, the people working the JSC booth probably figured there's no shortage of willing paying customers.  It actually makes me wonder, does anyone know if the books sold out?  It was limited to a print run of 1000 so it seems low enough that it would have, but I haven't heard.

6 minutes ago, revat said:

and the number of people able to make a convincing clear argument quickly/tersely even smaller than that.

I actually started a thread over the weekend, but as you can see...I'm not exactly terse.  :P

On 7/23/2018 at 9:25 PM, kHAoS said:

in their defense, i’ve also seen some pretty rude behavior from customers at the JSC booth and any other booth selling a limited or highly sought after item SDCC.

it does take a certain type of personality to work in a retail/convention environment. i commend them for being able to answer the same question every 3 mins over the course of 10 hours. i know for certain i wouldn’t be able to it.

Well good for you then for not getting into retail/customer service. But guess what, they DID. They voluntarily signed on for it. No one forced them. I think you'd agree that anyone signing on to do a job should at the bare minimum, perform at least the basic functions well. BTW - the vibe I got from the girls was not one of being rude because they were burned out on dealing with rude customers. It was a vibe of "OMGEEEEE why are you so F'ing picky about tiny tears and dents???!!!" They're obviously not comic collectors themselves, and didn't possess or want to possess a basic understanding of comic collecting, grading, condition, etc. I should also mention it wasn't just one girl at one show. I've had this same experience multiple years at their booth at SDCC with different girls. Like I said though, the dudes at the table have always been great and understand the situation at hand. 

Edited by Oat Willy1

25 minutes ago, Oat Willy1 said:

Well good for you then for not getting into retail/customer service. But guess what, they DID. They voluntarily signed on for it. No one forced them. I think you'd agree that anyone signing on to do a job should at the bare minimum, perform at least the basic functions well. BTW - the vibe I got from the girls was not one of being rude because they were burned out on dealing with rude customers. It was a vibe of "OMGEEEEE why are you so F'ing picky about tiny tears and dents???!!!" They're obviously not comic collectors themselves, and didn't possess or want to possess a basic understanding of comic collecting, grading, condition, etc. I should also mention it wasn't just one girl at one show. I've had this same experience multiple years at their booth at SDCC with different girls. Like I said though, the dudes at the table have always been great and understand the situation at hand. 

Describe the guy that helped you.

21 minutes ago, BeachBum said:

Describe the guy that helped you.

The guy that helped me was a tall, charming fellow with a baseball cap.

:luhv:

50 minutes ago, Oat Willy1 said:

I've found that most people consider the pickiness of buyers to be absurd UNTIL you show them the monetary difference between a 9.8 and a 9.6.

THEN they figure it out realllllly quick.

2 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I've found that most people consider the pickiness of buyers to be absurd UNTIL you show them the monetary difference between a 9.8 and a 9.6.

THEN they figure it out realllllly quick.

Look, all I'm asking is for them to have a table top microscope so I can get in there and really check the spine and edges.  Like, how hard is it to wheel in an electron microscope?  Is that too much to ask?  :insane:

2 hours ago, revat said:

Sad, but incredibly true.

We are rapidly approaching the point, and have past it for many, where it is cheaper and makes far more sense to buy an already signed and graded book than it is to get it done yourself.

I just saw a Rai #3 CGC 9.8 SS signed by Shooter end for $64 shipped. That's functionally cost for the seller, and it's already a 9.8. Zero risk for the buyer.

Eventually, sellers will wise up (they already have to a great extent) and realize it's a waste of time to get a book signed, pay the CGC punishment tax, and hope for a good enough grade to justify the expense, only to sell it for what it cost to get it done.

These creators make these popular creations, and then price all but the wealthiest, or most dedicated, entirely out of the market, There's nothing wrong with charging what the market will bear...but, again, the industry is now just a subsidiary of the Franklin Mint and QVC.

Yeah I was taken aback by the extra $30 per book.  I had bought the two Batman 50s as well so I walked up with 12 books.  At first I didn’t put two and two together due to being pretty beat from three days with the family at Disney.  Granted I’ve never bought from his table before as I tend to buy unsigned from his website.  Hearing what I spent within 5 min of being there Thursday, plus cgc and pressing fees left a sour taste in my mouth.  I don’t plan to buy from his booth at a convention again unless he sells unsigned.  I will forever regret canceling that original unsigned order.  I just had to have them after seeing them.  

Edited by Drill423

3 hours ago, ProcessedMeatMan said:

Who is Dre and how do we buy from him (or her?)?

Beachbum is his board name.  Just head over to the modem Sales area of the boards, he’s got a Sales thread for most shows etc.  

17 hours ago, Oat Willy1 said:

I'll preface this by saying I agree with your sentiment and in a perfect world, everyone should be professional. But I've worked enough jobs and interacted with enough people to know this is not always the case. Everyone has different motivations for signing-up for a gig or job and if employers were better at screening applicants, we wouldn't even be debating this point. You're correct, no one forced the job upon them, but the reality is most of us work in an environment where there are low performers who are not capable and not up to par. It doesn't matter if you're working fast food, retail, construction, office admin, school, or hospital, there are low performers/low achievers or not invested. So while it would be nice that every JSC booth worker cares about the condition of the books, it's safe to say they're not batting 1.000.