• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The official J Scott Campbell Appreciation/Discussion Thread
12 12

4,765 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, gregwynn said:

I have been asking him on social media to leave some unsigned at his booth...he has replied numerous times that there would be unsigned available....never is

he can spend 2.5 seconds and charge $15-$20 more for the signed and still sellout.  There's literally negative incentive to leave any unsigned.  If you're walking up to the booth with cash, you're more likely to just buy it either way, or someone else will.  It's not ideal, but that doesn't make it untrue.

And he might legit think he's left some unsigned, but he just listens to his handlers, who get a cut of total profits.  So it's in their interests to get them all signed too, if they're going to sell out anyways.

Edited by revat

12 minutes ago, revat said:

he can spend 2.5 seconds and charge $15-$20 more for the signed and still sellout.  There's literally negative incentive to leave any unsigned.  If you're walking up to the booth with cash, you're more likely to just buy it either way, or someone else will.  It's not ideal, but that doesn't make it untrue.

And he might legit think he's left some unsigned, but he just listens to his handlers, who get a cut of total profits.  So it's in their interests to get them all signed too, if they're going to sell out anyways.

While true, I wonder if his coa costs him enough to off set any of that though...

4 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

While true, I wonder if his coa costs him enough to off set any of that though...

Probably not as it's a business... but he usually has unsigned on his site. I wonder what his already signed copies cost to grade if you brought a witness over when you purchased, in relative to if you brought an unsigned to pay for SS. 

Obviously, it's a business so he has profit, but has anyone done the math on the part of the consumer?

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

5 minutes ago, gregwynn said:

I would pay the same price for an unsigned book as he is getting for a signed book now and think I am not alone in that

It would be great if he'd meet you half way, and charge half way between what he charges now for both, that way he would make the same amount of money.... and we could choose which we wanted...

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Just cause I heard if you brought a cgc witness over when you bought signed copies from a booth at a con that you could receive yellow label...

So how does THAT work? Does the CGC flunkie stand in line with you??

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Probably not as it's a business... but he usually has unsigned on his site. I wonder what his already signed copies cost to grade if you brought a witness over when you purchased, in relative to if you brought an unsigned to pay for SS. 

Obviously, it's a business so he has profit, but has anyone done the math on the part of the consumer?

Customer A brings/buys an unsigned copy for $20, then pays JSC's $30 signing fee.  Total cost, $50.

Customer B buys a pre-signed copy for $40, then pays JSC's $30 signing fee.  Total cost, $70.

Half of the last page (182) in this thread is devoted to that subject, as is the thread I started in the Signature sub (assuming the hypothetical situation you're referring to is the same one that I'm thinking of).  In the end, the person buying the pre-signed book is inexplicably forced to pay another $20 when that amount should be credited towards the $30 signing fee.

1 minute ago, Oat Willy1 said:

Depends.  I think if the line is long, you message the witness to come over when you're close.  Or the booth will flag down CGC to send a witness.  If the line is short enough, the witness will stand there with you.

30 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

Depends.  I think if the line is long, you message the witness to come over when you're close.  Or the booth will flag down CGC to send a witness.  If the line is short enough, the witness will stand there with you.

Thanks for explaining plainly, I had skimmed over those pages, and that's probably why I had the question lol

But thanks for reexplaining :foryou:

35 minutes ago, Oat Willy1 said:

I would assume that it works the way any SS would, it is my understanding that not all SS at a con happens at the cgc booth. I may be wrong, as I usually just drop off with a facilitator or cgc, I don't get to see the artist sign but then again I do not get a lot of SS (signature series) done....

I wanted one by Neal Adams once, stood in line and asked him how to do it. He said fetch a witness, and as there was no one else in line he was willing to wait as I did so. I was a noob and didn't know. I still don't lol that whole experience made me just want to use "drop off" (thumbsu

At least at SDCC, there was a CGC witness who was thrilled to be standing at the JSC booth pretty much all day.  You tell them CGC, they take more money, and fill out a special card with the info the booth needs (how many you paid to have graded).  CGC rep walks you over to the line at the CGC booth, then returns to JSC to grab more of us suckers who want to get them graded.  

This signing fee has been $30 since last SDCC 2017.

From what I recall and you are more than welcome to ask them (contact customer service,) at SDCC and NYCC unsigned and signed exclusives were the same price when available. But I haven't seen an unsigned exclusive for awhile at those shows or the Campbell Roadshow (booths set up at cons other than SDCC & NYCC).

If you buy signed copies on the website they are not eligible for CGC Sig Series. Some people actually don't care about getting their books CGCd and just want the sig.

From what I saw all the exclusives at the SDCC booth were signed and only available at the booth signed so there was no buying a unsigned versus signed and getting upcharged as some may have suggested at this show. There was no trade dress ASM sold at the booth. There were some unsigned books in the mystery boxes from what I saw/heard.

This could all be different at Roadshow Con booths that usually carry leftover online store inventory, which from what I've seen as of late is all signed as well. 

Edited by BeachBum

15 minutes ago, BeachBum said:

From what I recall and you are more than welcome to ask them (contact customer service,) at SDCC and NYCC unsigned and signed exclusives were the same price when available. But I haven't seen an unsigned exclusive for awhile at those shows or the Campbell Roadshow (booths set up at cons other than SDCC & NYCC).

If you buy signed copies on the website they are not eligible for CGC Sig Series. Some people actually don't care about getting their books CGCd and just want the sig.

From what I saw all the exclusives at the SDCC booth were signed and only available at the booth signed so there was no buying a unsigned versus signed and getting upcharged as some may have suggested at this show. There was no trade dress ASM sold at the booth. There were some unsigned books in the mystery boxes from what I saw/heard.

This could all be different at Roadshow Con booths that usually carry leftover online store inventory, which from what I've seen as of late is all signed as well. 

I wonder if that will make JSC's coa's more trusted, if they're out there in such supply?

7 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I wonder if that will make JSC's coa's more trusted, if they're out there in such supply?

The COAs that they produce seem to be high quality, numbered, and majority of them have an image of the book in the COA. The Mylars are also sealed with tamper proof holographic stickers (numbered I think as well).

IMG_E3015.JPG

Edited by BeachBum

5 minutes ago, BeachBum said:

The COAs that they produce seem to be high quality, numbered, and majority of them have an image of the book in the COA. The Mylars are also sealed with tamper proof holographic stickers (numbered I think as well).

What's a Shame is that I've bought books off Campbell's site that did not have coa's....

2 examples...

Xmen 92#1 psylocke covers

And 

Gwenpool #1 Paris variant. 

Also 

Gwenpool annual #1 ....

:(

29 minutes ago, BeachBum said:

And there are a number that want a yellow label for their collection. Yet they are charged a different price.

This is like Hughes raising his prices because someone sold a piece he did. Now his price doesn't reflect the quality he's putting out.

Cut off your nose to spite your face is the idiom I believe. Just waiting for the circle to complete.

1 minute ago, ygogolak said:

And there are a number that want a yellow label for their collection. Yet they are charged a different price.

This is like Hughes raising his prices because someone sold a piece he did. Now his price doesn't reflect the quality he's putting out.

Cut off your nose to spite your face is the idiom I believe. Just waiting for the circle to complete.

What price difference is the question I am asking.

Examples -

If I go to the website right now and purchase a Jean Grey #1 A cover it's $15 unsigned, $20 signed with COA - $5 difference

Also Domino A, B, C set is $110 signed with COAs on website (same price as launch). I paid $90 for an unsigned set of three at launch - $20 difference but spread over three books, roughly $6.66 difference per book.