• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The official J Scott Campbell Appreciation/Discussion Thread
12 12

4,765 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Samoyed Sabaka said:

I've never ordered from his site before.  What with the new ASM #2 going out for sale on 8/11, what should I expect at checkout?  Will it be a 90 second sell out like it is for Mondo posters, or will it be more casual so I can go in after an hour or two and still be able to get a set? Also, is there extra charges for shipping and sales tax to California?  Thanks.

If you want all 4 unsigned they will probably sell out in 3 or 4 minutes. Signed 4 cover sets under 5. Shipping will be extra and I was not charged any tax but I live in VA

11 minutes ago, Tnexus said:

Ten bucks says this originally was going to be Gwen or he pasted over a template of Gwen. He always draws her in a black top with bangs. MJ on the other hand basically always has swooping hair, T-shirts, and jeans/jean shorts. Her head even looks like a bad copy/paste job onto a different plane from her body. This is terrible.

Its an Homage to ASM 42(1st MJ) last panel...MJ was in a Black Top and Bangs

10 hours ago, Samoyed Sabaka said:

I've never ordered from his site before.  What with the new ASM #2 going out for sale on 8/11, what should I expect at checkout?  Will it be a 90 second sell out like it is for Mondo posters, or will it be more casual so I can go in after an hour or two and still be able to get a set? Also, is there extra charges for shipping and sales tax to California?  Thanks.

Just my guess, but these will take just a little longer to sell out than others. I don't think there is the excitement for these like other sets. BUT, I would just go with the expectation that they will sellout withint 6-8 minutes and possibly faster.

If you are at your computer at the top of the hour and order when they go on sale, you should have no problem. I suggest you sign up ahead of time for an account so you dont have to fill out all of those details when checking out. Good luck!

1 hour ago, Ladic said:

Has anyone received their Batman #50 from the J Scott Campbell Store? I received my Joe Madureira yesterday, but have not heard anything from J Scott Campbell?

Yes, Have had my unsigned 5 cover set for 10 days

8 hours ago, gregwynn said:

If you want all 4 unsigned they will probably sell out in 3 or 4 minutes. Signed 4 cover sets under 5. Shipping will be extra and I was not charged any tax but I live in VA

Wow, that's interesting.  I would have thought that the signed sets would be the more desirable ones.  So, in terms of future appreciation, is it better to go for the unsigned versions?  If so, is that because collectors prefer them to have CGC verify the sigs?

3 minutes ago, Samoyed Sabaka said:

Wow, that's interesting.  I would have thought that the signed sets would be the more desirable ones.  So, in terms of future appreciation, is it better to go for the unsigned versions?  If so, is that because collectors prefer them to have CGC verify the sigs?

Some collectors, yes, prefer to have signatures witnessed by CGC.

When asking on a CGC forum, you're likely to get an SS bias compared to asking a random 100 comic collectors.

26 minutes ago, Samoyed Sabaka said:

Future appreciation? Umm, wouldn't count on it.

4 hours ago, Samoyed Sabaka said:

The reason is because its your only chance to get unsigned especially the c and d covers. All the books at his Road Show booth are pre signed. JsC probably makes more money that way...forces people to get pay his $30 cgc fee and get it graded at the con otherwise you will get the dreaded green label of doom. He is the only artist I am aware of that cgc allows pre signed books to get SS as long as you pick up the book with a AW....       

I personally get unsigned and have them graded...I can get 3 blue labels graded for every SS book

18 hours ago, Tnexus said:

Ten bucks says this originally was going to be Gwen or he pasted over a template of Gwen. He always draws her in a black top with bangs. MJ on the other hand basically always has swooping hair, T-shirts, and jeans/jean shorts. Her head even looks like a bad copy/paste job onto a different plane from her body. This is terrible.

No, it's supposed to be a homage to MJ's first appearance. The outfit she's got on there as well as the bangs is her first appearance outfit and hairstyle

10 hours ago, Samoyed Sabaka said:

Depends. Yellow labels, Blue labels, that stuff only matters to the grading fanatic maniacs. To the average fan, signed is more desirable. I personally prefer signed as long as it doesn't interfere with the cover art. If it's a busy cover, I prefer unsigned. 

Question for future reference, when the JScottCampbell website says that exclusives are limited to 2 sets per order, does that allow you to purchase 2 of each option (ie: 2 sets of signed and 2 sets of unsigned), or are you only allowed 2 total sets (ie: 1 set signed, 1 set unsigned).  And if you are only allowed 2 total sets, can you just place another order under a different email address, but have it sent to your same mailing address, or do you have to have a different mailing address as well?

34 minutes ago, Samoyed Sabaka said:

Question for future reference, when the JScottCampbell website says that exclusives are limited to 2 sets per order, does that allow you to purchase 2 of each option (ie: 2 sets of signed and 2 sets of unsigned), or are you only allowed 2 total sets (ie: 1 set signed, 1 set unsigned).

2 sets in your cart total.  So you can order 1 premium signed, 1 premium unsigned.  Or you could order 2 premium signed.  Or 1 premium, 1 cover AB set.  It does not mean 2 of each set.

3 hours ago, Samoyed Sabaka said:

Question for future reference, when the JScottCampbell website says that exclusives are limited to 2 sets per order, does that allow you to purchase 2 of each option (ie: 2 sets of signed and 2 sets of unsigned), or are you only allowed 2 total sets (ie: 1 set signed, 1 set unsigned).  And if you are only allowed 2 total sets, can you just place another order under a different email address, but have it sent to your same mailing address, or do you have to have a different mailing address as well?

Can do another order under same account