• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The official J Scott Campbell Appreciation/Discussion Thread
12 12

4,765 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Avi said:

I was a little surprised by these. The remarks are almost identical, one of them was from a VIP event. Id be upset if I paid for a remark at such an event only to find its no really unique. Not my books, saw one on eBay and the other shared on FB.

jsc1.thumb.jpg.60a148fd5877ba4527a633bebd6573e4.jpgjsc2.thumb.jpg.6dd31484d6e200bf0e599c193a916357.jpg

The only difference between the two is the forehead shadow of Batman (one has it and the other doesn't) and the elastic on Catwoman's goggles (one has more lines)..... Other than those two, I don't see any difference.

I guess he's so used to drawing Batman and Catwoman, that he can drawing them almost identically. It is a sketch though.....

I guess if he's asked to draw Batman and Catwoman head sketches, that's his default drawing. He doesn't have to think about poses or head position or where to draw

7 minutes ago, combiner1 said:

The only difference between the two is the forehead shadow of Batman (one has it and the other doesn't) and the elastic on Catwoman's goggles (one has more lines)..... Other than those two, I don't see any difference.

I guess he's so used to drawing Batman and Catwoman, that he can drawing them almost identically. It is a sketch though.....

I guess if he's asked to draw Batman and Catwoman head sketches, that's his default drawing. He doesn't have to think about poses or head position or where to draw

Right, lots of artist have a go to default pose for quick head sketches, I get that, but I cant think of any that charge a $1000+ for the work. Like I said Id be disappointed with the non-uniqueness of the sketch for that price

Those were all from the VIP lunch packages.

There were double remark and single remark options. You can see they were all signed on the same date. There was a CGC rep at the lunch taking in submissions.

14 minutes ago, BeachBum said:

Those were all from the VIP lunch packages.

There were double remark and single remark options. You can see they were all signed on the same date. There was a CGC rep at the lunch taking in submissions.

Were they? Looks like the label on one says VIP event and is signed with 2018. 

3 minutes ago, Avi said:

Were they? Looks like the label on one says VIP event and is signed with 2018. 

I know they were. Looks like someone wrote VIP on the SS paperwork and the others didn't.

1 hour ago, Avi said:

Right, lots of artist have a go to default pose for quick head sketches, I get that, but I cant think of any that charge a $1000+ for the work. Like I said Id be disappointed with the non-uniqueness of the sketch for that price

Are you paying for the uniqueness of the product or for the experience (lunch, personal time, and having a piece that is not a reproduction but was actually drawn by him)?

23 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

Are you paying for the uniqueness of the product or for the experience (lunch, personal time, and having a piece that is not a reproduction but was actually drawn by him)?

Uniqueness is a significant part of it, otherwise I might as well get a print or something.  Also, if he can draw almost identical images isnt that basically a reproduction?

22 hours ago, combiner1 said:

Here is a picture of my batman/bruce Wayne sketch. With those remarks, I think the has very limited space to work off of so its easier for him to do the same standard pose.

Ekf1Mb6u_2903181350581gpadd.jpg

Edited by jreezy

On 8/29/2018 at 1:29 PM, ExNihilo said:

I believe the cost for just the remark alone was around $850, at least, that's what I gather from reading the article on Bleeding Cool about the VIP Lunch.

7 minutes ago, Samoyed Sabaka said:

I believe the cost for just the remark alone was around $850, at least, that's what I gather from reading the article on Bleeding Cool about the VIP Lunch.

WOW!

(nuff said)

:o

I just received a Campbell True Exclusive Signed book from an ebay seller.  Unfortunately, the mylar was completely split on the right hand side of the bag.  Does this happen often with these type of books?  In my personal opinion, having the bag split open is a defect, even though the issue inside is ok.  What does everyone else think?

4 minutes ago, Samoyed Sabaka said:

I just received a Campbell True Exclusive Signed book from an ebay seller.  Unfortunately, the mylar was completely split on the right hand side of the bag.  Does this happen often with these type of books?  In my personal opinion, having the bag split open is a defect, even though the issue inside is ok.  What does everyone else think?

Hmmmm was the listing picture of the comic in a bag? I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to keep it if the book is not damaged...... was it a bag with a seal?

7 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Hmmmm was the listing picture of the comic in a bag? I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to keep it if the book is not damaged...... was it a bag with a seal?

Yes, it was a sealed mylar bag that originally came from J Scott. Campbell with the hologram seal.  The seal is still intact, but the bag is not.  As an OCD collector (LOL), I prefer having the whole mylar intact since it is sealed with an exclusive hologram from the artist.   Just wondering if others here would have a problem with the mylar being completely split open on the right side.

2 minutes ago, Samoyed Sabaka said:

Yes, it was a sealed mylar bag that originally came from J Scott. Campbell with the hologram seal.  The seal is still intact, but the bag is not.  As an OCD collector (LOL), I prefer having the whole mylar intact since it is sealed with an exclusive hologram from the artist.   Just wondering if others here would have a problem with the mylar being completely split open on the right side.

Ya then I'll bow out then and let the wiser answer. :foryou:

I've bought from his store, but it has been a while and I don't remember a seal....it's been a minute since I've looked at my purchases...from him.

But thanks for letting me know they come that way (thumbsu