• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The official J Scott Campbell Appreciation/Discussion Thread
12 12

4,765 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, BeachBum said:

All six UXM books had a print run of 2300 each

Captain Marvel -

Cover A: Current Costume, limited to 2,800 copies
Cover B: Warbird costume w/sash, limited to 2,300 copies
Cover C: Golden Era, limited to 1,250 copies
Cover D: Binary, limited to 1,250 copies
Cover E: Fighter Pilot, limited to 1,250 copies

A is a traditional print run, B is lower, but C through E are practically half the run of the UXM set. There's the reason for the price difference. You're paying an extra $105 unsigned for C - E in the five cover set, which is $35 per book.

So it costs more to print less?

5 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

So it costs more to print less?

No, it is more of a JSC can charge more since he printed less scenario...........

So far he has not solicited any of the mystery boxes like last year. I guess he learned his lesson re: oversaturating the market?

Edited by kimik

2 minutes ago, kimik said:

No, it is more of a JSC can charge more since he printed less scenario...........

So far he has not solicited any of the mystery boxes like last year. I guess he learned his lesson re: oversaturating the market?

Let's be honest, he can charge what he wants because people will pay it. Yea, not over-saturating by only having 5 covers. :roflmao:

19 minutes ago, BeachBum said:

uh, actually it does. Marvel scales cost vs. print run in most cases.

17 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

So $2.50 vs. $2.30?

5 minutes ago, BeachBum said:

Much more. And your baseline is off.

Yea, I'm probably high actually.

Do you want to share the costs with us?

2 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Yea, I'm probably high actually.

Do you want to share the costs with us?

Lol - you're always a piece of work. And how do I know? Why don't you contact Marvel directly (editorial or the department that handles the retailer variant program). I'm sure they'll be happy to take the time to discuss such things as per book cost if you ask nicely. 

Edited by BeachBum

2 minutes ago, BeachBum said:

Lol - you're always a piece of work. And how do I know? Why don't you contact Marvel directly (editorial or the department that handles the retailer variant program). I'm sure they'll be happy to take the time to discuss such things as per book cost if you ask nicely. 

I can get a high quality independent comic printed for a little under $2 / book. Marvel should have more buying power than an independent publisher.

6 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

I can get a high quality independent comic printed for a little under $2 / book. Marvel should have more buying power than an independent publisher.

6 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Don't you think Marvel wants to make their cut on this as well? Again, I would just reach out to Marvel. I'm sure they'd be more than happy to discuss, especially with you. Merry Christmas.

2 minutes ago, BeachBum said:

Don't you think Marvel wants to make their cut on this as well? Again, I would just reach out to Marvel. I'm sure they'd be more than happy to discuss, especially with you. Merry Christmas.

Honestly, I don't think Marvel really cares. They let people re-publish old art and don't give any money to the artist.

I expect he's still holding onto about half of these for a later date with a higher markup. Still, I'm impressed even the "A" copy sold out so fast. It seems this was a popular set. I swore to myself no more JSC exclusives, but I ended up pulling the trigger on this one because for once it's not a Black Cat cover.

Edited by Tnexus

5 hours ago, Tnexus said:

I expect he's still holding onto about half of these for a later date with a higher markup.

As best I can tell, he doesn't hold books and mark them up later.  I figured there'd be a big commotion on these boards if he did such a thing.  If anything, he's holding some back to sell at upcoming cons since he likely realizes by doing so, he might be able to tempt some buyers into sigs and the premiums associated with those.

On 12/4/2018 at 10:50 PM, ExNihilo said:

For the most part, I've kinda tuned out J Scott Campbell emails ever since ASM#800.  I mean, I did get the Uncanny X-Men #1 covers, but for the most part, I don't even bother opening the emails anymore.  Just delete them as I get them.  This has especially been the case the last few weeks because it honestly feels like he's churned out an "exclusive" every few days.

So long as he charges a CGC punishment tax, I won't be supporting him. I'll be happy to buy his work from others, but I won't be supporting him directly.