• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The official J Scott Campbell Appreciation/Discussion Thread
12 12

4,765 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

So long as he charges a CGC punishment tax, I won't be supporting him. I'll be happy to buy his work from others, but I won't be supporting him directly.

There is an implication here that your support will be indirect, especially when coupled with your statement that you will be "happy to buy his work from others".  Indirect support is still a form of support, but you stated you won't be supporting him.  I was simply pointing out the fallacy and conflict of your statement.

5 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

How is Campbell supported by me buying a back issue...?

3 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Seller makes profit in which they take your money and buy more Campbell books. Wow, that was hard.

By engaging in the market in any way, you are affecting the Campbell cover art economy.  Sure, you are one, simple, near-insignificant blip in this market (especially considering the volume of Campbell works that are pumped out monthly), but so is any individual making such a purchase.  Sum up all of these individuals, however, and you now have captured the whole of Campbell back-issue demand.

Regardless of profit to be made on the secondary market by the original direct-from-Campbell buyer, the fact that there is a secondary market at all is enough to affect demand on the primary market.  Just like the overall back-issue market for comic books in general, the original buyer knows that the market is liquid (thanks to individuals like yourself), and therefore can be more comfortable in placing that original order.

As much as Campbell art may be pleasing and desired, not many will be literally taking these books to the grave with them.  Knowing you can always sell on the secondary market (again, thanks to individuals like yourself), though not the primary driver for overall direct-from-Campbell purchases, is definitely a factor in that market as a whole.

4 hours ago, ygogolak said:
7 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Seller makes profit in which they take your money and buy more Campbell books. Wow, that was hard.

Apparently, it is hard.

Let me ask you a few questions:

1. How do you know "seller makes profit"? 

2. How do you know seller will "buy more Campbell books"? 

3. Assuming...and it's a big assumption...that #1 and #2 are true...if said seller is buying back issues as well...again, how is Campbell supported?

4. Reductio ad absurdum, according to Chaos Theory, every purchase by everyone impacts everyone else in some small, usually immeasurable way. But only when you reduce it to the absurd.

1 hour ago, masterlogan2000 said:
23 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

So long as he charges a CGC punishment tax, I won't be supporting him. I'll be happy to buy his work from others, but I won't be supporting him directly.

There is an implication here that your support will be indirect, especially when coupled with your statement that you will be "happy to buy his work from others".  Indirect support is still a form of support, but you stated you won't be supporting him.  I was simply pointing out the fallacy and conflict of your statement.

7 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

5 hours ago, ygogolak said:

By engaging in the market in any way, you are affecting the Campbell cover art economy.  Sure, you are one, simple, near-insignificant blip in this market (especially considering the volume of Campbell works that are pumped out monthly), but so is any individual making such a purchase.  Sum up all of these individuals, however, and you now have captured the whole of Campbell back-issue demand.

Regardless of profit to be made on the secondary market by the original direct-from-Campbell buyer, the fact that there is a secondary market at all is enough to affect demand on the primary market.  Just like the overall back-issue market for comic books in general, the original buyer knows that the market is liquid (thanks to individuals like yourself), and therefore can be more comfortable in placing that original order.

As much as Campbell art may be pleasing and desired, not many will be literally taking these books to the grave with them.  Knowing you can always sell on the secondary market (again, thanks to individuals like yourself), though not the primary driver for overall direct-from-Campbell purchases, is definitely a factor in that market as a whole.

So, you made an interesting comment, which I'd like to unpack, if I may...

"By engaging the market in any way, you are affecting the Campbell cover art economy." I will extend you the courtesy of the benefit of the doubt, and assume that when you say "the market", you are referring to books created by Campbell.

I must ask...explain to me, using simple terms that a dullard like me can understand...how is purchasing a back issue that happens to contain the creative work of Campbell "affecting the Campbell cover art economy" and how the fact that there is a secondary market at all is enough to affect demand on the primary market. 

Let me see if I understand you properly: any purchase, of any kind of creative product of Campbell, affects demand on the primary market, correct? So, my purchase of a Danger Girl #3 (1998) from a dealer's dollar box has affected the primary market in some fashion...? And that's true, regardless of the motive of the buyer? If I buy, say, Deathmate Black Gold because I collect Valiant gold books, I've affected the primary Campbell market in some way, by virtue of the fact that that book contains Campbell art...?

And how do you "(know) you can always sell on the secondary market"...?

Just want to make sure I'm understanding you correctly.

I'll hang up and take my answer on the air.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus
Clarity! Oh, rapturous clarity! I think on thee daily.

1 hour ago, masterlogan2000 said:
23 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Specifically referring to this comment...I thought it was clear from the context of my very purposeful word choice that there is, in fact, an acknowledgement on my part of the possibility of at least some form of implicit support...I think the phrase "I won't be supporting him directly" made that clear, and, stated as such, there is no fallacy or conflict in my statement. I could be in error.

I hope you're enjoying this dance as much as I am....

3 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Let me see if I understand you properly: any purchase, of any kind of creative product of Campbell, affects demand on the primary market, correct?

No, incorrect.  I see you are not understanding me properly, as you're omitting the context of the situation.  Here, we're talking specifically about books that Campbell sells DIRECTLY, as you stated "I won't be supporting him directly".

So, my purchase of a Danger Girl #3 (1998) from a dealer's dollar box has affected the primary market in some fashion...? And that's true, regardless of the motive of the buyer? If I buy, say, Deathmate Black Gold because I collect Valiant gold books, I've affected the primary Campbell market in some way, by virtue of the fact that that book contains Campbell art...? 

To reiterate, because Campbell doesn't sell these directly, it has no place in this argument.

However, just to indulge you, let's talk simple and plain economics.  Economics doesn't care about buyer motivations or addictions.  In a free market, it cares only about supply, demand, and price, the three of which strike a delicate balance and affect one another.

Any purchase you make has a direct effect on both the supply and the demand of Campbell covers in the general comics marketplace.  Again, by purchasing a single issue, you'd just be one insignificant blip in this market, but that blip is still non-ZERO.  And that is what's of utmost importance here.  Take enough of these insignificant sales data points, sum them up, and suddenly you may find yourself with a not-so-insignificant move in the market.  Maybe this affects the pricing on those particular books.  Maybe vendors recognize, or think they recognize, an increase of demand for Campbell covers and start stocking up on more direct sale exclusives (or at least try to do so), all to resell on the secondary market.  Maybe you get turned on so much by the cover art that you decide to purchase an exclusive directly from the website.  None of these scenarios are overly far-fetched, but all of them have a direct impact on supply and demand in both the primary and secondary markets.

And how do you "(know) you can always sell on the secondary market"...? 

This is simply stating that the market is incredibly LIQUID (another term I used earlier).  And how do I know it's liquid?
-- Over 750 Sold listings alone on eBay since September 29th just on the term "Scott Campbell Exclusive".  Keep in mind that these are figures for the total listings, not the total units, which would be much higher.  That's not to mention that not every Campbell exclusive on eBay were sold with the terms "Scott Campbell Exclusive" in the title.
-- Multiple vendors selling (and continuing to sell) through their own websites, other auction sites, and here on these boards.
--  And, if I can make a little jump here... You told me when you stated "I'll be happy to buy his work from others"

I must ask...explain to me, using simple terms that a dullard like me can understand...how is purchasing a back issue that happens to contain the creative work of Campbell "affecting the Campbell cover art economy" and how the fact that there is a secondary market at all is enough to affect demand on the primary market.  

Let's stress this again.  We're talking about the purchases you make directly from Campbell himself (generally his "exclusives"), NOT back issues that happen to contain his creative works.

When talking about these exclusives.  The simple economics model still applies.  If you're "happy to buy his work from others", that increases demand for those books on the secondary market.  Where do those books on the secondary market originate?  Well, quite simply, they come from purchases that were made originally on the primary market (in this case, from Campbell directly).  Given a fixed supply throughout (due to a fixed print run), if there is an increase in the demand on the secondary market (thanks to individuals like yourself), then demand on the primary must also increases to meet that increase in secondary demand.  Afterall, we are still talking about the same product, regardless of primary vs secondary market purchases.

As I stated above, economics doesn't care about your motivations or your addictions.  The laws of supply and demand don't care about your feelings or how much you like or hate a guy.  It doesn't care that out of principle, misguided or not, you will only make a purchase in the secondary market vs the primary direct market.  All that matters in this situation is that you've just driven up demand.  And, if you drive up demand, that has a net positive effect on Campbell's direct sales.

I thought it was clear from the context of my very purposeful word choice that there is, in fact, an acknowledgement on my part of the possibility of at least some form of implicit support...I think the phrase "I won't be supporting him directly" made that clear, and, stated as such, there is no fallacy or conflict in my statement. I could be in error.

The conflict is not that you made the statement itself, but rather that "some form of implicit support" conflicts with the statement "I won't be supporting him".

Edited by masterlogan2000
Fixed argument typo

7 hours ago, masterlogan2000 said:
10 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Let me see if I understand you properly: any purchase, of any kind of creative product of Campbell, affects demand on the primary market, correct?

No, incorrect.  I see you are not understanding me properly, as you're omitting the context of the situation.  Here, we're talking specifically about books that Campbell sells DIRECTLY, as you stated "I won't be supporting him directly".

Then you have misunderstood what I said. Problem solved. Glad we could clear that up!

On 12/10/2018 at 4:17 AM, RockMyAmadeus said:

13 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Then you have misunderstood what I said. Problem solved. Glad we could clear that up! 

You're right.  I must have completely misunderstood what you were asking.  My fault entirely.  Next time I'll pay more attention to the question and answer more precisely, with additional facts, examples, and clarity.  I'm glad we could come to a resolution.

1 minute ago, masterlogan2000 said:
13 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

You're right.  I must have completely misunderstood what you were asking.  My fault entirely.  Next time I'll pay more attention to the question and answer more precisely, with additional facts, examples, and clarity.  I'm glad we could come to a resolution.

You're quite welcome. :)

So I guess I spoke too soon. Mystery boxes just dropped BUT you get 6 comics for $93 shipped. Limit 1 per person. 

I know last year was 25 books and I think the cost was $250 + shipping. 15 of my 25 were signed last go round.

I gave one a shot just for the heck of it as I have tons of JSC collectors at local shows, but I'm not expecting much. 

UPDATE : SOLD OUT IN JUST UNDER 40 MINUTES. 

Edited by Hey Kids, Comics!