• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The official J Scott Campbell Appreciation/Discussion Thread
12 12

4,765 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

You're arguing just to argue. 

While many will claim that's my raison d'être, it's not.

I understand that you and I have taken this topic wildly off course.  But, don't tell me that I'm just arguing to argue, when I am simply exercising my right to defend my position... a position which, again, you have constantly decided to attack.

You chose to pick out a tiny element of the discussion, and then develop an entire "argument" from it, using bad logic, bad math, unnecessarily confrontational language, and poor reasoning.

Let's recap.

I post that there is a time element involved in new moderns when determining value.
You jump on this and tell me I'm wrong.
I defend that position and point out the hypocrisy of your own posts using very clear logic leveraged against your own unsubstantiated numbers.
Yet within every single post I've made, I've still stated that I agree with you regarding what little value that signatures add to these comics.

So, who is arguing just to argue here?

Oh, and kudos points to you for editing your original post here to make it less confrontational than your original wording.  I now only count four instances in this one sentence in which you try to escalate a confrontation.

No offense intended, just pointing it out.

You've initiated and tripled down on attacking every one of my replies on this topic, so this is more than "just pointing it out".  But, I take no offense to this, as that's what one comes to expect by engaging with you.

Whether it's 90% or 99% or 82.732% or 99.999992647% is not relevant.

On 1/7/2019 at 12:12 AM, RockMyAmadeus said:

Nevermind, of course, that 90-99% of the value of every book is in 1. its status (New Mutants #98 or #92?) and 2. its condition.  

So if it's not relevant, then stop making up these claims.  The 90-99% figures were originally stated by you.

A signature does not contribute significantly to the value of most things that are signed in the comic book world, with very few exceptions.

And just to be a model of consistency, I agree with you here.

Although I have yet to be lucky enough to get any of his sets when sales go live, is the 2 set limit for the same set or 2 sets period?

Or, could you put 2 different variants set and get 2 of each for a total of 4 sets? 

34 minutes ago, rogue14 said:

Although I have yet to be lucky enough to get any of his sets when sales go live, is the 2 set limit for the same set or 2 sets period?

Or, could you put 2 different variants set and get 2 of each for a total of 4 sets? 

2 sets period.  You could place an order for one Premium Set and one Ultra set in your cart, but that's it.  It's not 2 Premium Sets and 2 Ultra sets for total of 4 sets.  If you want additional sets, you need to complete the order and create a new one.

Edited by ExNihilo

8 minutes ago, PerlAddict said:

In fact, everything except signed A&B and signed C&D sets are still available 20 minutes after going live. That's kind of surprising. Although I do with this was 8 different covers instead of 4 standard and 4 virgin with recolors.

Must be limiting in waves.

2 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Must be limiting in waves.

I see all sets available (signed and unsigned).  I wonder if the JSCPremium site has anything to do with this.  Was much of the previous demand for unsigned books REALLY largely due to people wanting to buy raw copies to get signed at conventions?  And now that JSC has teased direct CGC 9.8 signature series label books, consumers are waiting on those instead?

Or alternatively could the site be bugged and not showing orders properly?  I really hope it's the former otherwise that would suck for any fans who would end up having their order cancelled.

personally I think it's the future cgc offering ppl are waiting on plus this isnt new art as the designs were used for sideshow. (cant recall if the art was also used for prints). I'm not super excited and I've been getting his sets for the last 3-4 years

22 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

I see all sets available (signed and unsigned).  I wonder if the JSCPremium site has anything to do with this.  Was much of the previous demand for unsigned books REALLY largely due to people wanting to buy raw copies to get signed at conventions?  And now that JSC has teased direct CGC 9.8 signature series label books, consumers are waiting on those instead?

Or alternatively could the site be bugged and not showing orders properly?  I really hope it's the former otherwise that would suck for any fans who would end up having their order cancelled.

8 minutes ago, devald said:

personally I think it's the future cgc offering ppl are waiting on plus this isnt new art as the designs were used for sideshow. (cant recall if the art was also used for prints). I'm not super excited and I've been getting his sets for the last 3-4 years

When you try to add the ULTRA set to cart it says sold out.

Personally I have "JSC fatigue". Tired of his rehashed spider-man work.

2 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

2 sets period.  You could place an order for one Premium Set and one Ultra set in your cart, but that's it.  It's not 2 Premium Sets and 2 Ultra sets for total of 4 sets.  If you want additional sets, you need to complete the order and create a new one.

Thanks! Finally managed to get through! Didn’t know the discount code could only be used once... dang! O’well.

Edited by rogue14
Verbiage

On 1/7/2019 at 6:56 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

And I LOVE Campbell art. As I told him on that November day in 2016 in Burbank, CA, "I've been a fan of yours since Deathmate Black" (yes, he did a few pages in that.) 

okay maybe then you loved his art but you have to admit the stuff he's put out in the past 2 years is :sick:

On 1/12/2019 at 2:01 AM, masterlogan2000 said:

I understand that you and I have taken this topic wildly off course.  But, don't tell me that I'm just arguing to argue, when I am simply exercising my right to defend my position... a position which, again, you have constantly decided to attack.

Let's recap.

I post that there is a time element involved in new moderns when determining value.
You jump on this and tell me I'm wrong.
I defend that position and point out the hypocrisy of your own posts using very clear logic leveraged against your own unsubstantiated numbers.
Yet within every single post I've made, I've still stated that I agree with you regarding what little value that signatures add to these comics.

So, who is arguing just to argue here?

Oh, and kudos points to you for editing your original post here to make it less confrontational than your original wording.  I now only count four instances in this one sentence in which you try to escalate a confrontation.

You've initiated and tripled down on attacking every one of my replies on this topic, so this is more than "just pointing it out".  But, I take no offense to this, as that's what one comes to expect by engaging with you.

So if it's not relevant, then stop making up these claims.  The 90-99% figures were originally stated by you.

And just to be a model of consistency, I agree with you here.

I could do a point by point refutation of your statements, but no one else is interested. Honest. I made a general point, using casual, "for the sake of the argument" numbers. I wasn't responding to anyone. I was making a comment to whomever was interested. I didn't make any "claims", or anything else along those lines. You have created an issue where there is none, and the decision to engage was yours, not mine. If you see "attacks", I'm afraid the issue is your perception, and that would likely be resolved by you choosing not to interact with me in the future. I cannot control your reaction to my comments, but you can. Trust me when I say...no one else is interested. 

Take care.

On 1/12/2019 at 10:00 AM, Avi said:

Personally I have "JSC fatigue". Tired of his rehashed spider-man work.

I think that's true of a lot of people. Same ol' same ol'. 

I understand that his business model works for him...for now. And, unfortunately, the art business has become nothing but an endless cranking out of print-worthy images. But it would be nice if these artists would get back to the craft of storytelling. It would be nice to see a book drawn...start to finish...by Campbell. 

If Jim Lee can do it, at least in spurts, so can everyone else.

Even Picasso and Monet changed up their subjects on a regular basis.

37 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Honest. I made a general point ... I was making a comment to whomever was interested.

This sounds exactly like what I was doing when suggesting that there was a time component involved in valuations for modern books.  Your original post asked me to further explain, which I did.  You then proceed to tell me in multiple posts how wrong I am and how irrelevant the arguments were...  all the while, ignoring the fact that your own arguments were just as irrelevant.

and the decision to engage was yours, not mine.

There is a saying somewhere about it taking two to tango.

I could do a point by point refutation of your statements, but no one else is interested.

Trust me when I say...no one else is interested. 

And yet here you are, replying yet again to teach me a lesson of some sort.  Wisdom that applies to others, but apparently doesn't apply to your own determination to continue to derail a thread.

If you really, truly cared about not taking the topic off course, you would send me a PM.  But clearly, you love the spectacle that you've had a hand in creating.

6 minutes ago, masterlogan2000 said:

This sounds exactly like what I was doing when suggesting that there was a time component involved in valuations for modern books.  Your original post asked me to further explain, which I did.  You then proceed to tell me in multiple posts how wrong I am and how irrelevant the arguments were...  all the while, ignoring the fact that your own arguments were just as irrelevant.

There is a saying somewhere about it taking two to tango.

And yet here you are, replying yet again to teach me a lesson of some sort.  Wisdom that applies to others, but apparently doesn't apply to your own determination to continue to derail a thread.

If you really, truly cared about not taking the topic off course, you would send me a PM.  But clearly, you love the spectacle that you've had a hand in creating.

Ok. Thanks for sharing your perspective. Take care.