• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The official J Scott Campbell Appreciation/Discussion Thread
12 12

4,765 posts in this topic

On 1/12/2019 at 8:49 PM, jsilverjanet said:
On 1/7/2019 at 4:56 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

And I LOVE Campbell art. As I told him on that November day in 2016 in Burbank, CA, "I've been a fan of yours since Deathmate Black" (yes, he did a few pages in that.) 

okay maybe then you loved his art but you have to admit the stuff he's put out in the past 2 years is :sick:

True...a lot of angle-y poses and sharp corners. Human beings aren't made with sharp corners.

10 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

...would be nice if these artists would get back to the craft of storytelling. It would be nice to see a book drawn...start to finish...by Campbell. 

If Jim Lee can do it, at least in spurts, so can everyone else.

(shrug) I don't know man.  I watched a YouTube video of Jim Lee drawing a full comic page in two hours and said to myself "there's no :censored: way".

Its one thing to do a full page that fast...its another to do a full page that fast with quality/detail.

But I agree.  All these top comic artist don't do full books anymore (or rarely do).  I guess once you start making big $$$ you really don't want to sit up all night stressing about the deadlines of a full book.

1 hour ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

(shrug) I don't know man.  I watched a YouTube video of Jim Lee drawing a full comic page in two hours and said to myself "there's no :censored: way".

Its one thing to do a full page that fast...its another to do a full page that fast with quality/detail.

But I agree.  All these top comic artist don't do full books anymore (or rarely do).  I guess once you start making big $$$ you really don't want to sit up all night stressing about the deadlines of a full book.

Jim could draw faster if he wasn't reading Twitch comments, talking on stream, and inking/blotting the work.  Also, the interiors seem less detailed than the work he does on his livestreams.  I'm not saying it's not a time consuming thing to do, but don't let that "2 hours/panel" thing deceive you.

On 1/15/2019 at 9:41 AM, ExNihilo said:

Jim could draw faster if he wasn't reading Twitch comments, talking on stream, and inking/blotting the work.  Also, the interiors seem less detailed than the work he does on his livestreams.  I'm not saying it's not a time consuming thing to do, but don't let that "2 hours/panel" thing deceive you.

The funny thing is, it takes me longer, sometimes much longer to ink one of Jim's pages than it takes him to pencil if from scratch.  He is a freak of nature...in a good way!

Scott

39 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

The funny thing is, it takes me longer, sometimes much longer to ink one of Jim's pages than it takes him to pencil if from scratch.  He is a freak of nature...in a good way!

Scott

Yeah but you really elevate his pencils - got to see some of your work up-close for first time in October and so beautiful! Inkers still don't get enough credit. 

7 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

Scott

I don't doubt it.  Have you changed your contract verbiage to include "payment by pen stroke" yet?  lol

12 hours ago, stinkininkin said:
On 1/15/2019 at 9:41 AM, ExNihilo said:

Scott

Listen...the reason your Uncanny run is such a pleasure, as I'm sure you well know, is because you took so much time on the detail. 

I don't know if I've told you this, or if it matters to you, but there have only been two times that I opened a comic and had my breath taken away by the art.

The second was Marvel Comics Presents #85 (and I've told Sam that.)

But the first was X-Men #268.

That splash page took my breath away, and made me a Lee/Williams fan for life. Every page of that book is a feast for the eyes. It is a masterpiece. It may not be as detailed as later stuff, but the work that is there...just gorgeous. 

And Black Widow....my word, Black Widow...Natasha never looked so good.

So, whatever that's worth to you, there you have it.

6 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Listen...the reason your Uncanny run is such a pleasure, as I'm sure you well know, is because you took so much time on the detail. 

I don't know if I've told you this, or if it matters to you, but there have only been two times that I opened a comic and had my breath taken away by the art.

That splash page took my breath away, and made me a Lee/Williams fan for life. Every page of that book is a feast for the eyes. It is a masterpiece. It may not be as detailed as later stuff, but the work that is there...just gorgeous. 

I have to agree with this.... I've had to sell most of my CGC and art collection at one time or another for life reasons, but I bought 8 copies of X-Men 268 when it came out and have one copy to read and one copy graded that never leaves the collection.

Edited by Mayor006

8 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I suddenly feel ashamed that I bought this book for the cover and have never opened it.  I started collecting everything from 250 thru 305 and was waiting to get them all so I could read uninterrupted, but I might just have to go home and see this splash page now.

54 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

I suddenly feel ashamed that I bought this book for the cover and have never opened it.  I started collecting everything from 250 thru 305 and was waiting to get them all so I could read uninterrupted, but I might just have to go home and see this splash page now.

The great part about UXM 268 is the story is entirely self-contained; it's a great side-story. The really good stuff is around UXM 275, I really enjoyed seeing all the X-Men wearing the classic blue/yellow outfits. It's a very simple and clean look that clearly conveys the team aspect of the title. The art has held up well over time and story is a simple over-the-top outerspace drama.

1 hour ago, williamblood said:

does any one know how he split inventory between signed and unsigned? for example the captain marvel 1 sets had 1250 print run, is it 50/50 split?

No hard info to back this up, but it's probably 75% signed, 25% unsigned is my guess. May as well make as much money as he can by charging that signing premium.

On 11/7/2018 at 1:49 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:
On 11/7/2018 at 1:39 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:
On 11/7/2018 at 1:34 PM, kevhtx said:
On 11/7/2018 at 1:30 PM, rturr said:

Oh ok. That's cool with me. Thanks! I'm already looking where he'll be signing haha xD I'd rather do it in person. Would be so awesome if he would do that. For sure, it would be better to really authenticate, and keep. I don't think I should try to sell it.

I would check with CGC on that. I didn't think they would do a yellow label for anything previously purchased and signed. I know at JSC's booth, I think you can get CGC to come witness you buying one of his signed comics, but Im not sure they would do that for something previously purchased. Maybe Im wrong. The whole point to the yellow label is that it was "witnessed".

I know they can sign a form because NealAdams does it all the time, it WOULD be better to call CGC and or double check with a facilitator on the boards as to whether they will have those forms at the show, I also could have sworn that people said they did it and posted about it on the boards. 

Always double check though, wouldn't want you to go through all that effort. Maybe it is a form that you could print out @Artboy99 seems like I remember you saying something or knew someone that had done their own sketch covers. 

Hopefully I'm not in left field here  :shy:

Ok lol I had a little break and called CGC and spoke to Dean at CGC.... to get the in's and out's

If cgc is also attending the convention that Campbell is at, they said swing by the CGC booth and they will provide the form for Campbell to sign..... :foryou:

You can only get the form at the CGC booth, and from what I was told is available at the con so it can be done!

Leg Work for the Win 

@Turtle It was "Dean" who told me this....

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:
On 11/7/2018 at 1:49 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:
On 11/7/2018 at 1:39 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:
On 11/7/2018 at 1:34 PM, kevhtx said:
On 11/7/2018 at 1:30 PM, rturr said:

Oh ok. That's cool with me. Thanks! I'm already looking where he'll be signing haha xD I'd rather do it in person. Would be so awesome if he would do that. For sure, it would be better to really authenticate, and keep. I don't think I should try to sell it.

I would check with CGC on that. I didn't think they would do a yellow label for anything previously purchased and signed. I know at JSC's booth, I think you can get CGC to come witness you buying one of his signed comics, but Im not sure they would do that for something previously purchased. Maybe Im wrong. The whole point to the yellow label is that it was "witnessed".

I know they can sign a form because NealAdams does it all the time, it WOULD be better to call CGC and or double check with a facilitator on the boards as to whether they will have those forms at the show, I also could have sworn that people said they did it and posted about it on the boards. 

Always double check though, wouldn't want you to go through all that effort. Maybe it is a form that you could print out @Artboy99 seems like I remember you saying something or knew someone that had done their own sketch covers. 

Hopefully I'm not in left field here  :shy:

Ok lol I had a little break and called CGC and spoke to Dean at CGC.... to get the in's and out's

If cgc is also attending the convention that Campbell is at, they said swing by the CGC booth and they will provide the form for Campbell to sign..... :foryou:

You can only get the form at the CGC booth, and from what I was told is available at the con so it can be done!

Leg Work for the Win 

@Turtle It was "Dean" who told me this....

What a monumental miscommunication on my part, I spoke to Dean at CGC again, I was wrong :( (how obvious it should have been to me :pullhair: ) Comics off of artists sites are not available for yellow label signature series if it leaves the artists possession period.

I had originally asked in the case of Neal Adams that he has forms, but this time Dean spoke plainly that Neal Adams would send it himself off his site, since Neal offers the service for extra $$. If it ever comes to the buyer leaving the artists possession then the chain of custody is broken as with Campbell's signatures, even with COA :( 

I apologize for my mistake! @rturr @ExNihilo

Edited by ADAMANTIUM
"to" anyone else that I miscomunicated to :eek:

16 hours ago, combiner1 said:

It’s below Black Widow’s right armpits and right boob. 

Its a very messy cover, too much is going on. 

Who’s the chick kneeling below, the one with the “W” on her belly???

Oh yea, I see it now.

That's White Fox.