• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The official J Scott Campbell Appreciation/Discussion Thread
12 12

4,765 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, starlord86 said:

along with a variant 'E' ;)

This is true! Managed to grab a set of A-D unsigned that I hope to get done at SDCC. The fees for getting his books yellow label are getting ridiculous. 

$20-$40 for the book, add $20 if you are going to CGC, and then pay the grading cost...

5 hours ago, kimik said:

All of the Cover A, A+B, and Unsigned A-D sets sold out within a few minutes. There were signed sets for up to 10 minutes, but they are all gone now as well. 

I know I tried to get 2 copies at A at 11:05 cst and already sold out. It just doesn't seem like demand is that high that's insane.

I will just get the reg cover and be happy I can get that at a discount still.

9 hours ago, starlord86 said:

along with a variant 'E' ;)

If it's like SDCC last year, he'll have some virgin cover variants along with a cover E.  Gotta make as much money as he can.

7 hours ago, Jonesin4Comics said:

This is true! Managed to grab a set of A-D unsigned that I hope to get done at SDCC. The fees for getting his books yellow label are getting ridiculous. 

$20-$40 for the book, add $20 if you are going to CGC, and then pay the grading cost...

It's $30 if you are submitting to CGC.  $20 if you're not.

57 minutes ago, rogue14 said:

Anyone have any idea how much these will go for at SDCC? Won’t be making it but hope to get a hold of cover A and maybe B via other means.

Does he normally sell for a premium at cons? I would expect them to be the same price, but I don't know for sure. 

27 minutes ago, Kon_Jelly said:

Does he normally sell for a premium at cons? I would expect them to be the same price, but I don't know for sure. 

I have no idea. I would think they are the same as well but nowadays who knows. Everything seems to be more expensive.

17 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

If it's like SDCC last year, he'll have some virgin cover variants along with a cover E.  Gotta make as much money as he can.

It's $30 if you are submitting to CGC.  $20 if you're not.

Isn't that delightful? For absolutely zero consideration, you "get" to pay an additional $10...for nothing...if you want to submit your books to CGC. 

Your books.

Not Campbell's.

Yours

They belong to you. And what you do with your own property is no one else's business.

And you don't get anything additional from Campbell. And CGC doesn't give you anything additional. And CGC isn't being paid by Campbell.

I should charge HIM an additional $10,000 if I buy the books, rip them up in front of him, and light them on fire.

Don't want them lit on fire? You'll pay my $10,000 ransom.

IN. SUFFERABLE.

:sick:

10 minutes ago, fuggit said:

I can't believe people are still buying these.

Is it really hard to believe that some people actually like some of the covers? I don't buy all of his sets. Just the ones I like for my own PC. This set has multiple covers that I like.

3 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Isn't that delightful? For absolutely zero consideration, you "get" to pay an additional $10...for nothing...if you want to submit your books to CGC. 

Your books.

Not Campbell's.

Yours

They belong to you. And what you do with your own property is no one else's business.

And you don't get anything additional from Campbell. And CGC doesn't give you anything additional. And CGC isn't being paid by Campbell.

I should charge HIM an additional $10,000 if I buy the books, rip them up in front of him, and light them on fire.

Don't want them lit on fire? You'll pay my $10,000 ransom.

IN. SUFFERABLE.

:sick:

I'm lost. If you buy the book from his table and walk over to the CGC booth, why would you need to pay an extra $10 for it...

40 minutes ago, starlord86 said:

I'm lost. If you buy the book from his table and walk over to the CGC booth, why would you need to pay an extra $10 for it...

If you want your book slabbed under the Sig Series program, you have to pay Campbell...who does nothing whatsoever to earn it...$10 extra for it.

It's part of the creator-wide scam currently being enforced throughout the industry, enabled by those who lie to them and stoke their resentment by telling them that people who slab are "making $$$ off of them."

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

2 hours ago, starlord86 said:

Some creators feel as if their signature is some how worth more on the secondary market when slabbed by CGC.  As a result, they feel they are owed a cut of whatever that additional value is so they charge more for it.  Thus, if you get a book signed by JSC it's $20/book.  But if you're getting it slabbed by CGC, it's $30/book for no logical reason whatsoever.  To me, it's ridiculous that CGC even acknowledges and supports this sort of behavior.  At SDCC last year, I had a facilitator help me get the ASM covers.  He picked up the books, had them signed, and walked back to the CGC table.  CGC asked for a slip of paper indicating that I had paid the "CGC rate".  Not having one, they walked my facilitator back to JSC's booth where I had to pay the $10 difference per book and was given the slip saying everything was good to go.  What had changed between my books in the time I had left JSC's booth, went to CGC, and came back that would warrant the extra $10?  What did JSC do in that time, that somehow made my books "worth more"?  Absolutely nothing.  It's a scam if we're honest.  And as a result, I have no intention of buying another signed book by JSC.

28 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

To me, it's ridiculous that CGC even acknowledges and supports this sort of behavior.

It's more than that. It's a complete conflict of interest. Whose interests is CGC supporting, the creators, who don't pay any of CGC's bills, or the submitters, who pay all of them? 

It's gonna implode if they don't get a handle on it.